_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
88mm Flak 36 Eastern Front
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:22 AM UTC

Here is my work in progress on a very ambitious project. I took inspiration from a "German war files" youtube video of footage of both a 2cm flak 30 and a 88mm flak 36 firing from prepared positions.

The setting is the eastern front during the winters of 1943 or early 1944. I'm about 3 months from being finished. The goal is to create a realistic winter firing position with a support trench and supporting Luftwaffe ground units and Fallschirmjeager teams. I'm still new at this but please take a look!

https://imgur.com/a/fGmg9
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:27 AM UTC
Snorri23
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:41 AM UTC
Quite impressive with what I have seen. Keep up the progress.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:14 PM UTC

Hi Nathan,

quite a project you are working on!!

I like your figure conversion for the 2cm gunner!!

Just a thought:

be careful with weapon ranges and their (in)compatibility.

Extremes are f.ex. 88mm and submachine guns!

Looking forward to seeing more!!

Cheers

Romain
ziggy1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 02:14 AM UTC
Those trees look like the ones sold by Senic express . I've built those, and they are outstanding!
Removed by original poster on 04/05/14 - 16:09:27 (GMT).
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 04:08 AM UTC
This is the kind of advice I need! The only way this works is the Red Army were conducting a massive charge in which both enemy infantry and armor were close enough for both types of weapons to be used. For this scenario, this sense of urgency I'd need to create would be nearly impossible. I'd need the 88 ammo handlers frantically fumbling with rounds and lot's of other contexts. Cheers!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the kind of advice I need! The only way this works is the Red Army were conducting a massive charge in which both enemy infantry and armor were close enough for both types of weapons to be used. For this scenario, this sense of urgency I'd need to create would be nearly impossible. I'd need the 88 ammo handlers frantically fumbling with rounds and lot's of other contexts. Cheers!

I fully understand your idea, but we must be extremely careful not to fall into the "Hollywood trap".
If you want action with the 88mm, you can always show the crew hastily preparing to limber up.
The infantry can then cover them....and get some Panzerfausts ready, while others grab Tellerminen or magnetic charges to deal with tanks foolish enough to come near seasoned veterans!

Good luck

Romain

Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 08:47 AM UTC
Sorry, my reply earlier wasn't clear. I agree with you entirely. I wasn't challenging the idea and what I meant to say is "the only way this works" as in my current configuration would be a soviet charge taking place less than a mile away and a terrifying panicked urgency within the gun crew. This would be unlikely or u realistic I suppose... I don't have as much experience and definitely consider opinions of most here quite valuable. You're absolutely right and I try very hard to work towards realistic scenarios instead of Hollywood fantasy.

The footage I'm using for part of my inspiration showed a flak 30 about 50 yards from an 88 and both were engaged in the anti-tank/anti personel role. In reality , their supporting infantry and panzergrenadiers were likely hundreds of yards ahead of them in their own trenches. I guess my question is, do you guys think there were scenarios along the Eastern front in which a German flak detachment was set up (presumably) behind the front and found themselves in the way of a massive soviet push and therefore became front line units? I know the 88 was used frequently use in a direct fire role but if there was no way one would find itself within range of enemy small arms fire I have a serious problem... Like, 6 months of work down the drain problem. :-/.

Another part of my inspiration comes from a gentleman named Hans I met at a gold resort in Sun City Florida. Hans was a Canadian Citizen but fought for Germany in WW2 as a "conscript he said" I asked him about half tracks and weaponry to which he replied "half tracks! Quite Bumpy!" And tolde about being forced to advance across a field of waist high field grass at gunpoint in 1943. The most memorable story was of him being part of an element protecting a 7.5cm pak 97/38. He said he and his 12 friends guarded this gun by digging small trenches and foxholes along each side of it and protected it with machine gun on a tripod. Anyways, the most memorable thing was when he mentioned the war ended for him. He said the Russians came running across the "horizon" in hundreds and came so close that the gun crew was no longer using the sight but simply opening the breech, looking through the barrel, aiming towards a massive group, loading and firing...yeah... I know. So, this is where his story ended as he said "that's where the war ended for me. I assume he was either wounded, captured or both but was lucky. This had a huge impact on me and I'd be lying if I said it didn't influence this diorama. Thanks for the comments and views!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:24 AM UTC
Nice work! nice website.
 _GOTOTOP