_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
WWII North African roadways
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 12:07 PM UTC
I'm starting to layout a small diorama and have a couple questions about roadways.

This is going to be a North African diorama with a DAK vehicle on a street, with a small wall edging the street, with a small amount of dried, cracked desert dirt on the other side.

My real questions are:

* What are my roadway options? Cobblestone? Asphalt? Something else?
* I see from old photos of North Africa during this time, asphalt (Or at least flat) roads seem to be common.... is that right?
* If so, what's the best way to create them?

Thanks!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 02:58 PM UTC
Hey Jake. To simulate the dessert roads in my dio;s I do this. I build up the sides of the ground with white styrofoam and melt it to shape with a soldering iron. Don't inhale this stuff as it is very unhealthy Work in ruts ect. Then with a mix of water and white glue, I sprinkle on baby sand. The smallest around. If you go to a place where some one is doing concrete and brick/block work, they will probably let you have a cup or two.. I let it sit for about 1/2 hour and turn it upside down and tap the bottom of the base to remove loose sand, and then add the smallest pebbles I can find. If you go to the end of your street where the drain is you should find handsfulls of the stuff. Small flat ones are what you want. Pushing this stuff in slightly will do the trick. A squirt or two of your water/glue mix should hold it down nicely. Tap again and paint your color. When completely dry, I add a wash of dark brown muck from the bottom of the thinner jar and when dry a shot of dull coat to seal it up. Any high light painting for high lighting or shading for shadows goes on here. Hope this helps. bob d.
 _GOTOTOP