_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Vallejo Primer - To thin, or not to thin?
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi all

I have a project which requires more subtle application of primer than my old rattle cannon.

I've decided to give it a toot with the Airbrush, but looking in the paint drawer the only thing I have is Vallejo black surface primer 74.602. (Which personally wouldn't have been my first choice)

Now do I thin that with Vallejo AB Thinner?

Is it OK to AB straight from the bottle?

Could I thin that with lacquer thinner?

If I did thin it with lacquer thinner, would it give it more bite?

Thanks

Andy

Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 04:52 AM UTC
No airbrush experience, but if you do thin it, use Vallejo's thinner or an acrylic thinner. The primer has a polymer that other acrylics don't have which actually forms a film, a nice bonus. If you thin with water, the polymer properties weaken. I'm sue someone will give you airbrush ratios and so on.

Kimmo
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC
This is a hot debate, Vallejo states it should not be thinned to maintain its durability.

I have thinned in it the past with no issues. But if you are going to thin is, I would recommend using the Vallejo AB Thinner. I have used Tamiya Acrylic thinner with no issues as well. I have also heard it can be thinned with water. I have also sprayed it straight from the bottle, but it requires a little higher air pressure to do this.

Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a hot debate, Vallejo states it should not be thinned to maintain its durability.

I have thinned in it the past with no issues. But if you are going to thin is, I would recommend using the Vallejo AB Thinner. I have used Tamiya Acrylic thinner with no issues as well. I have also heard it can be thinned with water. I have also sprayed it straight from the bottle, but it requires a little higher air pressure to do this.

If you thin with water, it weakens the polymer properties and you won't get as durable a coat. It does thin fine with water however. Acrylic thinners have something in them which doesn't affect the polymer as much. If you think about it, adding water thins the carrier and/or binder, so any properties they may have had are now more diluted. With regular Vallejo paint, this doesn't seem to be an issue but I am noticing Game Color reacting slightly differently when heavily thinned. I'll eventually get some Vallejo thinner and see what's what.

Kimmo
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 06:05 AM UTC
I dont thin it although I do raise the air pressure 25-30%.

Cheers
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 06:53 AM UTC
I'm with Janne,

I use the Vallejo Surface Primers and I don't thin them, I raise the pressure slightly for all of them except the white and light grey.

BRIAN
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:39 AM UTC
Took your advice guys. Gave a toot at high pressure neat and it looks just fine

Thanks for your help

Andy
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC
No need to thin.

Use high pressure as it was told and start first with a very light coat, just make the surface fogy, then build up in layers. This primer is very uncomplicated
 _GOTOTOP