_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Mark IV tracks
Alanroy
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:25 PM UTC
Good morning,
As a long time lurker who has only posted here once many years ago, I find I have a couple of questions regarding the British Mark IV, in model form to be exact

There are now 4 different after-market track sets available for the ancient 1/35th scale Emhar kit, these being Accurate Armour in resin, Friul in white metal with grouser spuds also available, Model Cellar in plastic, and PanzerShop in resin with grabs included. The PanzerShop set also includes cannon and machine gun barrels.

My question is has anyone out there used any of these sets? Are there issues or concerns regarding any of them? From looking briefly at my kit, it seems that it would be a bit of a bother getting the last link pin in the Friul set between the tread plates as they are trapped between the side plates. I have the Model Cellar set, and since they are not meant to be workable they should be easy enough, as would the resin sets.

Thank you in advance for any direction you can provide.

Best regards,
Alan
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:49 PM UTC
I am just completing my Emhar Mk.IV, and I used the resin set from Komplekt Zip, which you can get through Soga Miniatures. I found these to be great, then only issue is keeping them aligned, as I attached them to the kit as I assembled them. Also they are very reasonably priced.

Kevin
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 05:14 PM UTC
I've got the Model Cellar injection links and I'd use them. They might be slightly thick from the side profile but they're just so much easier to use than the others.
Alanroy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:59 PM UTC
Thank you both. As easy is my middle name, Model Cellar was the direction I was leaning torwards since I already have them. Of course, since I haven't built a kit in the past decade, Tamiya, Trumpeter, Meng, you-name-them, are bound to come out with a state-of-the-art kit complete with individual track links by the time I actually get started.
Regards,
Alan
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hi Alan,

I am using the new Fruil tracks on my Mk.IV build, and they are super. Very satisfied with them. Just waiting for the grousers to be available as well. :-)

I have not assembled the entire length yet, but I guess what you describe in your first post regarding the last pin could be a challenge.

Cheers,
Sven
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you both. As easy is my middle name, Model Cellar was the direction I was leaning torwards since I already have them. Of course, since I haven't built a kit in the past decade, Tamiya, Trumpeter, Meng, you-name-them, are bound to come out with a state-of-the-art kit complete with individual track links by the time I actually get started.
Regards,
Alan

I'm waiting on Meng for an all singing and dancing Mk IV c/w with interior and tea pot. Nothing less will do lol.

Cheers

Al
Alanroy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:37 PM UTC
Thank you. Hmmm, can the outer armo(u)r plate, or a portion of it, be left off until the tracks are on? Or only temporarily afixed? I don't have the kit in front of me here at the office, so am working from a slightly foggy memory.
Alanroy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:38 PM UTC
Must also be in steel for scale weight!
Alan
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you. Hmmm, can the outer armo(u)r plate, or a portion of it, be left off until the tracks are on? Or only temporarily afixed? I don't have the kit in front of me here at the office, so am working from a slightly foggy memory.

I found when I built mine, I had to have it fully assemble for the tracks. This is due to the outer armour holding the the drive sprockets and idler wheels.

Alanroy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:47 PM UTC
Thank you, Sarge, one question answered. Looks like Sven will work out the Friul procedure first.
Alan
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 12:11 AM UTC
Alan

Here are some images of mine with the Komplekt Zip tracks installed.

Alanroy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 01:06 AM UTC
Very nice, Sarge, I can only hope to do as well.

On the bench: dust!
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 04:11 AM UTC
I've used the Accurate Armour resin tracks on my Tadpole recently, they're OK and relatively easy/fast to use. I dunked them in boiling water to shape them around the model. I realize they're not as detailed as other options but frankly for the mediocre Emhar kits they're good enough and reasonably priced.

Cheers,

Christophe
Alanroy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 04:35 AM UTC
Thank you, Christophe,
It is fast looking like Model Cellar may be the route to take, unless a brand new kit emerges warranting the Friul.
Regards,
Alan
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Regards,
Alan

Let's hope so. Meng and Takom started the ball rolling with their WW1 tanks but I'm amazed no manufacturer (apart from Master Box) have announce a new MkIV yet......especially as this year's the centenary.
Agamemnon2
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:57 AM UTC
The lack of a new MkIV is doubly disappointing since it's not even that high-tech of a subject. You wouldn't need Dragon-quality molding, most of the tank is flat panels.
Alanroy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 08:18 AM UTC
Even with flat panels, I get the feeling that if one of the big names were to release it there would be 300 parts plus the tracks, with each panel being a separate piece.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Even with flat panels, I get the feeling that if one of the big names were to release it there would be 300 parts plus the tracks, with each panel being a separate piece.

And that's just fine by me! I'll buy 3!

But only if the ooverall shape is accurate, dammit!

Seriously, I'm sick of companies botching basic research. I am not buying something as simple as a rhomboid tank if it's not accurate. I can make the bloody thing myself, it's not hard.

If it's accurate, though, I'll be all over it like white on rice.

Paul
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you, Sarge, one question answered. Looks like Sven will work out the Friul procedure first.
Alan

Haha, I hope I can solve it.

Just a thought: looking att reference pics, there seems to be a small gap between the tracks and the side panels. Perhaps this will allow some room to put the last pin in.

By now I guess everyone has seen the Tamiya announcement, I knew that would happen after spending countless hours fixing up the Emhar kit. Anyway, I am the point of no return, the Emhar will get built! :-)
Alanroy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 11:25 PM UTC
Tamiya announcement?!?!?!?!? I must have been asleep at the wheel. Guess I'll go looking for it. Thanks, you made my birthday!

Quoted Text

Haha, I hope I can solve it.

Just a thought: looking att reference pics, there seems to be a small gap between the tracks and the side panels. Perhaps this will allow some room to put the last pin in.

By now I guess everyone has seen the Tamiya announcement, I knew that would happen after spending countless hours fixing up the Emhar kit. Anyway, I am the point of no return, the Emhar will get built! :-)

_GOTOTOP