_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"Crispy" M4A3 "C Company, 4th Tanks Iwo Jima
cwo-3
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:42 PM UTC
I posted this on Missing Lynx and I thought I would share it over here.

A month ago I was approached by a retired Marine Corps Colonel who asked me if i would be interested in building a WW II tank for his brother. he had seen a diorama I had done at the MCRD SD Command Museum. It was implied that money was no object and that I would be compensated for the work. Because this is my hobby and not my business, I advised the Colonel that I would build a USMC flame tank from Iwo Jima at no charge and give it to his brother. The brother asked me what charity I would like to have the donation made to. My response was the Museum at MCRD San Diego. I received a 4 digit donation 3 days later.

This was a quick build using reference material I had. The kits used were Dragon's M4A3 for the hull and the M4A2 for the turret. I used Hard Corps Models aftermarket resin, Eduard P.E. and Bison decals. The duck bill all steel tracks came from Paul Miles from our model club and I am not sure where he got them.

I built the base using a hand painted picture frame, blue foam and various ground covers. I was also very fortunate to receive some actual sand from Iwo Jima that was given to me by my friend and fellow Marine Phil Mathias. Phil got the sand when his unit went to Iwo Jima for a commemorative ceremony. Yes, the sand is black and dark dark brown. almost like obsidian. From color pictures from the battle most if not all vegetation was torn and chewed up by the naval and air bombardment. This is what I tried to depict.

There were 8 flame tanks that took part in the battle. They played a critical role in one of the deadliest battles of WW II. From lessons learned from earlier island battles, the Marines modified their tanks to make them more survivable. The exterior modifications of this tank were pretty much identical to the gun tanks. "Crispy" had the wood planks on the sides with concrete between the wood and the steel hull. This was to prevent magnetic mines from sticking to the steel.The hatches had steel cages to prevent satchel charges from blowing them in. A cleaned out Stuart fuel tank held drinking water. Earlier track links were welded to the front glacis and to the turret to add a little "stand off armor". The wading trunks were removed with the exception of the lower rear trunk. I used Vallejo, Mig and Tamiya paints and weathering solutions with oils and pastels.

This was a 40 hour build that was enjoyable and rewarding. This is also my first WW II tank I have completed in about 30 years. It's not perfect but I am happy with it.
I hope you enjoy. (Tanks again Pauli and Phil)

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]
 _GOTOTOP