_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
"FAR TO QUIET" - WIP
SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 01:49 AM UTC
Well I'm going to start building a largish diorama. It's only large due to the fact I'm using Miniarts European Farmyard.

In my mind I have it that the farm will be set up in a very similar way to what's on the box, so its nice and enclosed. From there I'm going to add some German soldiers in cold weather gear entering from round one of the corners, I'm hoping I can get the sense that they are expecting there to be someone there but there isn't........or is there

So I have started small, starting with one of the out buildings first. Took absolutely ages to cut and sand and get them to fit, but I got there. Didn't get any pictures of the chaos of cutting sanding and gluing but he is the out building stuck together and primed.

From there I did some fixing of the corners where there was gaps in the corners. Then a quick respray with the prime. From there I gave it a spray using a yellow colour as the basic colour on the building.

From this base coat I ended up losing about 3 hours of my life painting each individual stone with slightly different sandy/greyish colours.

Painted the wood above the door.

Really happy with the walls, and now to do the roof. I started off with a black primer coat first to give the recesses some depth once the main colour is added.

Once sprayed with the red/brown colour I painted a few random tiles to add a bit of veriety.

And finally I gave it wash with a brown oil paint then a dry brushing with a white oil to give it a more realistic look.

For the first building I am very happy indeed. Really looking forward to getting the rest of the building finished so I can get a little weathering and wear and tear then. Then I can start on the base.

However I'm not sure weather to add snow to it or just to leave it more a Autumn scene. But this will develop over time.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 01:55 AM UTC
Nice work. I love the options that Miniart has made available to modelers with all of these new building kits.
J
SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 02:11 AM UTC
Yeah, this is the first kit I've got from them, and apart from it taking for ever to cut off the base and sanding it down it goes together really well indeed. Pat on the back for Miniart.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC

Hi Si (no pun intended! )

great painting on those parts!!

Eager to see progress!!!

Well done Sir!

Cheers

Romain

gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:19 AM UTC
Very nice work indeed. Bit of an art putting these building together though looks like you've nailed it perfectly.

BTW, title should rear "Far too Quiet"

Gary
SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:02 PM UTC
Good spot Gary, now can I change the name on the forum title lol
 _GOTOTOP