_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Softskins
Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
SAS Jeep Desert Campaign WWII - Options?
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:29 PM UTC
Hi,
I'm thinking about building the SAS Jeep/Jeeps in the desert campaign during WWII for my next project.
What options do I have?
What would be the best base kit?
I understand Tamiya re-released a better version of their offering during the '90's.
Also, I see that Dragon released a Smart Kit. Any issues with it?
Or maybe the Bronco 1/4ton truck but converting it to the desert type?
What would be the best way to go?

Aftermarket sets: Conversion sets; update sets; stowage sets; weapons & turned brass barrels?
What would be the best wheels to use?

Reference material? etc...etc...etc...

Thanks for your help.
Joe.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 10:24 AM UTC
The DML kit is a prety poor offering for a company like DML. You have a few options available and the one I would recommend is old school. Get the newer Tamiya Jeep or a Bronco one. Buy the old Tamiya SAS jeep and a Jerry can set and cross kit them. Tamiya never retooled their SAS Jeep.
DML offer a set of Vehicle crews with a David Stirling Figure as well.
Legens offer a Resin COnversion set which has enough parts for two vehicles.
I'd suggest a search here for problems with DML's jeeps. The C team tooled those
Al
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 06:29 PM UTC
Cheers Al! Thanks for your help.
I did hear there were a couple of problems with the DML kit.
Shameful really, for a company like DML!
I have been thinking about going down the Bronco route & getting one of their 1942 model 1/4ton utility truck Airborne kits with the trailer as I can use the trailer elsewhere.
The Legend conversion kit will convert one of these Bronco kits, right?
What about the Black Dog conversion kit? Is that any good?

What about figures? I was checking out those Swash figures yesterday. They're nice, aren't they?
Anything else out there that's really good?

Thanks again, mate!
Joe.
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 07:20 PM UTC
Get the Swash conversion sets for the Tamiya retooled jeep,pricey but worth it,tons of resin,Tasca jerricans both US & German,turned barrel ( if you get the set with the aircraft .50 cal) etch and 2 figures (depending on the set you buy again)
crops up on the 'bay every now and then ,and I've seen the figures being offered separately.The build up in TMMI (or was it MMMI?) a couple of years ago was superb,got me a set and Accurate Armours Op Telic SAS Land Rover as a kind of 'Now and Then' comparison.
That said I'm sure more skilled modellers out there can do wonders with the plastic offerings and budgets can be tight these days.......

Malvin
Visit this Community
Severocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:24 PM UTC
Hi , set for SAS Jeep
http://www.fast-webstore.com/www-vt-models-cz/eshop/9-1-AFV-35/0/5/14-British-SAS-Jeep-AfricaMalvin
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:58 PM UTC
Hi fellas,
Thanks Petr, I could well be in touch soon.
Steve, yes, I was looking at that Swash conversion, too! It does look very good, I have to agree with you.
Like you, I'm going to do a now & then comparison. However, I did the Pink Panther on here recently & I'm now doing the green hornet, too.
Once finished I'm going to do a couple of SAS jeeps & then the AA Op Telic Landie as I have that kit, too! So I'll be doing a now & then & everything in between, so to speak!

Right, so my next question will be: to paint the SAS WWII jeep what colours should I use?
I normally airbrush with acrylic paint so what options do I have here? Vallejo or Tamiya options would probably be best for me although I'm open to change!

Are there any good build logs anywhere?

Thanks again fellas!

Joe.
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 - 07:30 AM UTC
Alright Joe!
Now I'm near my library it was Model Military International November 2010 that had the build log for the jeeps,and February 2011 that the second part appeared,painting the figures and base,these are the references I'll be using.Again the 'bay could be a good place to look for these.
Marcus Nicholls used Tamiya XF 49 Khaki as a base,then heavily thinned XF 59 Buff over that as a 'sand' colour,looks pretty damn fine
Nice work on the pinkie et al,time I actually started building(!)

erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 11:03 PM UTC
Joe, I've used both the BlackDog and Legends update sets and to be honest I prefer the Black Dog one. I used the Tamiya SAS jeep (built three of them) and it does the job. After reading the various reviews of the DML offering I thought given the price and the fact most people said it was a bit crap I'd go for Tamiya seeing as I was using update sets. TUrned out reasonably respectable. This is one with the Black Dog set and a few bits out of the spares box...

erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 11:05 PM UTC

Another view. The stowage in the back is a lot better from Black Dog and the Vickers K's aren't as flimsy as the Legends ones. They all seemed to break so I was glad the BD set had some spares.
 _GOTOTOP