_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
WW2 Desert (k)nights
kensmodels
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 08:11 PM UTC
Could I request some help with representing the (as I understand it) great variety of unofficial clothing worn by British and Commonwealth troops in the Western Desert campaign? The fashion for extravagant 'cravats', scarves, pilfered Italian equipment, jumpers and pullovers, greatcoats etc, especially for those cold desert nights and early mornings. So far my picture research has turned up very little, and it appears that those wearing improvised gear were keen to avoid being photographed in it (with the exception of the LRDG)!
Likewise, I've started to assemble a number of 1:35 figure sets, but they tend to concentrate on being 'uniform-accurate' rather than represent troops in the field.
I'd like to depict a group (perhaps RHA with the old 6lb-er Portee) in an early cold desert morning (1942?). If it isn't too heretical, I'd go for 'feel' and atmosphere over 100% accuracy. I hark back to the old John Sandars' articles in the Airfix magazine from 1970's (and the resulting book).
I'm up for attempting some sculpting with my limited skills, so any pointers to appropriate figure sites would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken
 _GOTOTOP