_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Takom Leo 1A5 backdate to a Leo 1A1A1A4?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 07:38 AM UTC
I want to build a mid 70's Leo1 (1A1A1A4). Italeri makes one but I think Takom's new 1A5 will be a better kit (no disrespect it the Italeri kit). What would be involved in backdating the Takom kit?
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 08:39 AM UTC
You're going to need to install the coincidence range finders in place of the A5 welded plates, you'll need the older periscope, gunner sight, radio aerials, probably different armored exhaust covers, older gun barrel without bore mirror, circular telephone box etc. Not knowing what's in the Takom kit in my opinion its less of a hassle to just get the Revell of Germany 1A1 kit and the Perfect Scale turret and call it a day.

Erik
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You're going to need to install the coincidence range finders in place of the A5 welded plates, you'll need the older periscope, gunner sight, radio aerials, probably different armored exhaust covers, older gun barrel without get the Revell of Germany 1A1 kit and the Perfect Scale bore mirror, circular telephone box etc. Not knowing what's in the Takom kit in my opinion its less of a hassle to just turret and call it a day.

Erik

Depending on the version of the Leo 1A1A1-A4 you can easily use the round tank phone box, the barrel jacketed barrel, horizontal exhaust louvers, and the shorter antennas.

The only things that are a must change are the gunner's sight, the regular Commander's TRP-2 sight, and the stereoscopic rangefinder blisters.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:59 AM UTC
I was thinking that with the Takom kit I will get the Orochi track in the kit, better road wheels and possibly a better turret.
 _GOTOTOP