_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
problem with overspray
bazers
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hi
I am having a problem with overspray as you can see from photos, i have a badger 300 and i started to do a three colour camo on my 1 72 model and had a lot of overspray so i bought a iwata neo on a recomendation but as you can see from photos i am still having a lot of overspay i have thined the paint and lowered the pressure but no use, any ideas please.

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 01:21 AM UTC
What paint are you using? What are you using to thin it?

How close do you have the airbrush to the model when you spray?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 01:23 AM UTC
Barry

The key to free hand camo is finding the right mixture of thinned paint and air pressure. Some other tips would include holding the airbrush very close to the work and when using a dual action airbrush, the camouflage needs to build up in multiple layers. Alot of times my first pass with the airbrush you can barely make out the camo, put I build it up with multiple layers.

I use a Iwata Neo, thin the paint more then normal and use about 15PSI.

Free hand camo is one of those things that takes practice. I would recommend getting an older model and practice on it, try different things, until it works for you.

Kevin
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC
For a 1/72 target like that pictured, I would consider doing some form of masking - IF I did not get to where I wanted with that Iwata. (With a little practice and careful paint-thinning and low - ca 5 - 8 psi - AP, you can reliably get lines at or under 1/16 inch wide. Patience!). While "real" sprayed-on camo would appear as the expected soft-edge (overspray in the 1:1 scale), at 1/72, it would be pretty tight-looking - a tiny "fuzzing" along the edges.

PRACTICE with your AB and you'll get where you want to be!

IF you want to explore masking... It is very easy in many cases to make a mask of cheap art "tacky gum" stretched out into a thin sheet and gently pressed onto the subject to delineate your desired pattern. Because the tacky is a 3d sheet, it will have a small "undercut" along your spray-lines and allow a small amount of fuzzing while keeping most of the overspray away.

There are available many "template masks" used by AB folks to create various curves and stuff while controlling overspray - these are available in HobbyLobby and other big crafts stores. They take a little practice, and you need to have your kit propped and mounted at the right angles for you to easily get to areas you want to hit on, but this is actually the way the "pro" AB artists do their thing. (And we are explicitly talking here doing "freehand" and free-form trimming and altering of printed photo images, etc.)

A little practice with any of these, combined with the thinning and low AP and getting closer to your work, are your solutions. Have FAITH! You WILL get to where you want with a little further work and trials!

Bob
bazers
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 02:57 AM UTC
Thanks for reply guys
i am using tamia acrilic paint and thinners and i am spraying very close
have tried the lowest air pressure i can there is no gauge on my com but turned it to nothing then up a bit with same results.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 04:44 AM UTC
I would suggest a 1:2 paint to thinner mix spraying close to the model(.5-.75") at 15-20psi.
RickB464
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 09:19 AM UTC
I am a lowly aircraft modeller who is new to armor but we do camo an planes too. I would thin your paint to 60/40 or even 70/30 paint/thinner ratio and dial back your pressure to 10 to 15 lbs ps1. That kind of pattern on a 72nd subject, I'd consider a soft mask like silly putty or blu-tac and then soften it with a lightened dusting of the base color. I hope this helps. Keep us posted please

Rick
 _GOTOTOP