_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Verlinden Figures
Simple64
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi everyone,
My first post here after lurking for ages.
I have returned to modelling after a long break & I am currently building Tasca's Sherman V.
I have had the Verlinden British Tank Crew set No.311 in my stash for a long time & wanted to use it for this project. I also have some Hornet British tankers heads that I wanted to use in place of the Verlinden ones but I have discovered that the Verlinden heads are much larger than the Hornet ones & comparing against the Tasca kit supplied figure they are also larger. The Hornet heads are very close in size to the kit figure head.
So after all that my question is are Verlinden figures overscale?
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 05:56 PM UTC
I think the open secret is that Verlinden's sculptures are in 54mm = 1/32nd scale. You have now discovered that for yourself.
Simple64
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 06:40 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply.
I have ordered a Royal Models crew.
Simple64
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 08:50 PM UTC
I have received my Royal Models British Tank Crew(No.231) & comparing them to my Verlinden crew they are waay bigger.Looks like they are on steroids compared together so I am not convinced that that the Verlinden figures are 1/32-54mm also one of the heads supplied by Royal is very elongated almost as if his headphones are too tight or stuck his head in a vice.
I am going to stick with the Verlinden figures as they are wearing Battledress uniforms.
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 09:30 PM UTC
Chris,

Probably a bit too late now (just seen your post) but for British/Commonwealth tankers in 1/35, I think the "Ultracast" range of figures are unbeatable (IMHO). They have an extensive range of tankers in various uniform options suitable for hot weather (desert/Italy etc) along with figures wearing standard battledress, leather jerkins and 'Pixie' suits for NWE.

Take a look at their extensive range and I promise you won't be disapointed by what you receive.They are also very proportionate 1/35 scale when placed in or on armour.

Gary
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 10:12 PM UTC
MiniArt and Masterbox both do a number of British AFV Crews which are a fraction of the Price of resin. Frankly in this day and age, I can't understand why anyone would spend so much money on resin when the styrene figures available are so good. Exceptions are 'special' figures such as those by Alpine or The Bodi, but in general terms it seems like a difficult to justify extravagance....
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

A late reply to a question that has been solved yet I have input for a future situation.

There isn't much difference between 1/32 and 1/35. Look at almost any photo of people standing next to each other and you can see marked height differences - my favorite example is Fallschirmjaeger being decorated by Hitler, standing side by side they create a sawtooth profile.

If you really want to use 1/32 with 1/35, the only thing you need concern yourself with is the equipment. Helmets, etc., were only made in one or 2 sizes. (Ever see the small soldiers with steel pots that cover their whole head?) Make sure all weapons and kit is 1/32 or all is 1/35. That will unify the scene and the size variations of the figures will be realistic.
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

MiniArt and Masterbox both do a number of British AFV Crews which are a fraction of the Price of resin. Frankly in this day and age, I can't understand why anyone would spend so much money on resin when the styrene figures available are so good. Exceptions are 'special' figures such as those by Alpine or The Bodi, but in general terms it seems like a difficult to justify extravagance....

Miniart and Masterbox figures cannot compared to good resin figures... the level of details is still very far from resin. I would not consider this an extravagance...
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:07 AM UTC

In this scene I used Verlinden bodies and Hornet heads:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/221242&page=1

I don't think the difference is so great...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Miniart and Masterbox figures cannot compared to good resin figures... the level of details is still very far from resin. I would nota consider this an extravagance...

Utter, total, complete 24-carat rubbish.

Verlinden, for example, are utterly out-of-date in every aspect. Squadron/Signal not much better. The modern crop of resin manufacturers such as Alpine The Bodi, Stalinfrad or D-Day Miniatures are doing a fantastic job...

There are arguments that when a subject isn't available in styrene, then resin is logical if available. However, certain subjects are no longer necessary in resin as they are well-covered in styrene.

Sorry, but the argument of resin vs. styrene strikes me as misplacedd snobbery...
Removed by original poster on 04/28/14 - 16:32:11 (GMT).
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Miniart and Masterbox figures cannot compared to good resin figures... the level of details is still very far from resin. I would nota consider this an extravagance...

Utter, total, complete 24-carat rubbish.

Verlinden, for example, are utterly out-of-date in every aspect. Squadron/Signal not much better. The modern crop of resin manufacturers such as Alpine The Bodi, Stalinfrad or D-Day Miniatures are doing a fantastic job...

There are arguments that when a subject isn't available in styrene, then resin is logical if available. However, certain subjects are no longer necessary in resin as they are well-covered in styrene.

Sorry, but the argument of resin vs. styrene strikes me as misplacedd snobbery...

... I suggest you a good book: a Confederacy of Dunces, as you consider the poor idiots like me that prefer resin to plastic.

Your considerations remind me the way of thinking of Ignatius Reilly.
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:25 AM UTC

Sorry, but the argument of resin vs. styrene strikes me as misplacedd snobbery... [/quote]

The fact remains that IM figures are still restricted by limitations in the IM process. Also, just about all of them benefit from resin heads by "Hornet", "Alpine" etc to bring them anywhere near the standards of the main resin players.

I think that IM figures can compliment resin figures but you are most likely very much in a minority of thought if you (genuinely?) believe that mainstream IM figures are the equal or better than most high quality resin figure producers.

When someone releases 1/35 figures that can hold their own against the likes of those produced by 'Evolution','Alpine Mins', 'TANK' 'Ultracast' etc. to name but a few....then come back and show us all the evidence!

Bottom line, people have CHOICE in the hobby and to brand those of us who buy resin figures as 'snobs' is unwarranted and as I see it, without substance other than your own personal 'opinion' to support such a claim.

Gary

Simple64
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:54 PM UTC
Hi Luca,
Thanks for your reply & link to your figures.
They look superb.
I have Hornet heads but thought their necks were a bit on the skinny side but after seeing what you have done I have changed my mind.
The only reason I wanted different heads is the Verlinden ones don't have the badges moulded on the berets.
Simple64
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:57 PM UTC
Thanks to everyone who has replied.
I did not want to start a war over the merits of resin vs plastic.

durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Luca,
Thanks for your reply & link to your figures.
They look superb.
I have Hornet heads but thought their necks were a bit on the skinny side but after seeing what you have done I have changed my mind.
The only reason I wanted different heads is the Verlinden ones don't have the badges moulded on the berets.

There are some little tricks you can use for adjusting the necks, for example adding a swear under the uniform or a scarf made of putty... However, in WWII the food was very scarce, so a skinny neck should not disturb too much...
Simple64
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:32 PM UTC
Here is a photo of the Verlinden figures compared to the Royal Models figures.
The Verlinden ones are the painted ones.
There is not a lot of difference with the 3/4 figures but with the torso ones there is a huge difference.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:00 AM UTC
@Luca, I stand very much corrected. Quite honestly any attempt i've ever made with Honet heads with Verlnden figures has never (IMO) been convincing and i've usually ended up recycling them. However, looking at your photos it DOES work.

Let me put a correction in. I particularly like styrene as it's a better meddium to modify. I don't tend to buld figures OOB as good as the recent releases are, there's always something missing or in need of modification. I buy the occasional resin figure when there is simply no alternative or it is somthing which really captures my attention. Sincé for the first time ever, i'm generally happy with what's available in 'basic' Allied figures. What DOES annoy me is the very high price of Hornet Headsets and te difficultyin getting the sets I want. It also irritates me that there in't a lot of competition wih replacement heads(and especially replacement hand sets).

In resin, there is little available (for me at last)in weapon sets. The Riich British weapon sets are as good as anything that's ever been produced (the Bronco U.S. weapons sets are of similar quality. Yes, Resicast do good heavy weapons but with Riich, they are now a little unnecessary.
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:21 AM UTC

I use both resin and plastic (much more resin), and sometimes mix them as needed. Possibility of choosing from time to time what fits better your needs is the advantage.

Hornet heads may be a little bit costly, but they are little masterpieces with great added value, and I am happy that they are on the market....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hornet heads may be a little bit costly, but they are little masterpieces with great added value, and I am happy that they are on the market....

They are but it would be nice if there was a bit more competion.... I've used a few of the Legend head sets as well - not as good as Hornet but pretty reasonable but only German unfortunately...
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:41 AM UTC
Verlinden seem bigger then 1/35, more like 1/32.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Verlinden seem bigger then 1/35, more like 1/32.

And now we are back to the beginning!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So after all that my question is are Verlinden figures overscale?

I don't necessarily favor Verlinden figures but,
but not all men are created equal.

Look at proportions of these men.

Cheers,
Joe
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:10 AM UTC
the simple answer is when a Verlinden figure is grouped amongst other figures they work well .
Bear in mind this company was the market leader to where we are today with such a variety of plastic and resin figures and I thank VP for starting this .Back in the late 80's early ninetee's there was very little in the way of Resin figures available for us . There was 1 figure I needed to bring a diorama together and the figure marked in the fore ground is one of the earliest brought out by VP. This is a recent dio being completed August 2013
.I am happy this fellow made it work

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:25 AM UTC
Now if all figures in resin were of THIS quality, i'd ignore styrene completely (Live Resin figure):

_GOTOTOP