_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy Merkava IV LIC combat action
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 04:35 PM UTC
Hey Everyone, my name is Sam and I am new to Armorama. I was wondering if I may humbly ask for some help with my current project. I am currently building an Academy Merk. IV LIC and I was wondering where this tank would have seen action like during the Gaza War, 2006 Lebanon War, etc? If not, can I turn the LIC model into a regular Merk. IV? Thank you so much everyone for your assistance.
GuyGos
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 06:59 PM UTC
The LIC configuration didn't see action in Lebanon '06, but it did in Gaza in 'Cast Lead' op in '09.

You can build the regular mk. IV using your kit, here's the assembly guide for the former kit:
http://www.model-making.eu/products/Merkava-Mk.-IV.html

Anything else mate?
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 08:20 PM UTC
You sir, are a life saver =D. Thank you so much for your help. If I may ask one more question, did the LIC configuration carry any stowage, such as bustle covers, backpacks and the likes? I have seen pictures showing both ends of the spectrum. Thanks again.
GuyGos
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 10:40 PM UTC
In general the bustle holds everything, you can use legend's set for that model, it's very nice.

http://www.supervideo.com/MXCD-ROMOS.htm
You can also use this site for many Merkava refrences.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 06:46 AM UTC
Take some time to go through the photos in this thread on IDF Modelling. A lot of the older photo links are dead but there are still some good photos later on. On Op Cast Lead, not all of the 'LIC' bits would be on at once, usually just the belly armor and exhaust grating. Stowage seems to be covered most of the time in the turret bustle and rear hull bins.

Jim
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC
if ya wanna do Lebanon 06, part's included for a non-LIC version. mainly not using the loaders hatch, so replace that with the part that's not #4. don't recall the actual part number, but it's a similar shape. you'll also have to remove the raised hatch opening for a proper fit.
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 04:56 PM UTC
Thank you so much everyone for your help.

@GuyGos: the link that you gave me had a lot of really interesting photos. One thing that I am still confused about are the anti-RPG chains hanging from the turret. According to the site, they stopped using the chains after 2006? So if Cast Lead is in 09, do I leave the chains off? If so, hey less work for me XD.

@JungleJim: Thanks for that tidbit about not adding all of the LIC stuff on. PE was never my friend and if I don't have to add it, then it just makes the build simpler. The exhaust grating should not be too hard to handle, especially compared to the grating placed on the lights.

@Trakpin: Thank you for taking the time to get back to me. At the moment, I think I want to go with Cast Lead, just because I don't have a lot of tanks from 2008 onwards.
juljon
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 07:59 PM UTC
Hi,

With regard to the anti RPG rocket chains on the rear turret basket these were removed ONLY if the tank had the Trophy system fitted, but on many photos shewn the tanks still had the rear chains fitted even with the Trophy system. So they should be fitted to the model. Several photo etch companies supply the ball and chains sets i.e. ET Models, Voyagere Model and Griffin Models.

Hope this helps.

Juljon.
GuyGos
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 05:16 AM UTC
The chains, or "Shoolamit hairs" as they're called by us for some reason, are still in use.
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 06:08 PM UTC
Thanks GuyGos and Juljon, guess this means I'm literally stuck with the balls and chains then, haha.

@GuyGos, who or what was Shoolamit? I have heard that name before, especially on the supervideo.com site. Sorry its not really related to the topic, but I'm really curious.

Finally, if I may pose yet another question about the Merkava, how does the gun extend beyond the turret? The reason why I ask is because I think I may broken the back piece of the mantlet and now there is no real way inserting the main gun without pushing it too far into the turret. Thanks again guys, your assistance means so much to me. I could not finish this build without you.
GuyGos
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:18 PM UTC
About Shoolamit:- NO ONE KNOWS!!! lol
Regarding the gun try gluing it back or somthing
juljon
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hi all,

Shulamit is the term used for the ball and chains under the rear of the turret basket. I think it means "hairs"

Regards

Julian
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:35 PM UTC
@Juljon: Thanks for the clarification. It does look like hair, braids even =D.

@GuyGos: LOL, I guess we'll never know the true meaning. Unless someone could find the person who first thought of the term. I would glue the gun into the mantlet, but I'm scared I might push the gun too far into the turret, thus making the gun appear too short. The reason behind this is because I shaved off too much off of the back plate that stops the gun from travelling too far into the turret.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi Sam, re the gun I assume you have no where for the tube to butt up against could you not glue a piece of plastic over the area to stop the tube going in to far, i had a problem on a 1/48th scale T34 so I glued apiece of sprue across the area that did the trick.
GuyGos
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Shulamit is the term used for the ball and chains under the rear of the turret basket. I think it means "hairs"

Regards

Julian

ShulamitShoolamit is a woman's name, the term for 'hairs'in hebrew is 'se'arot'
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:29 PM UTC
@Easy_Co: Your advice was spot on. I got the gun to go through perfectly with something to butt up against. Thanks for your help.

@GuyGos: Shoolamit se'arot must be the literal translation for Shoolamit's Hairs then. I learn something new everyday =D. I sincerely apologize for all the stupid questions, but I also want to thank you so much for all your help on this build.
GuyGos
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:34 AM UTC
Better to ask a question and seem stupid for a moment than not asking and staying ignorant for a life time

Se'arot Shoolamit actualy but never mind that, semitic languages differ from english in many ways.
DLDC_Sims_Guy
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Everyone, my name is Sam and I am new to Armorama. I was wondering if I may humbly ask for some help with my current project. I am currently building an Academy Merk. IV LIC and I was wondering where this tank would have seen action like during the Gaza War, 2006 Lebanon War, etc? If not, can I turn the LIC model into a regular Merk. IV? Thank you so much everyone for your assistance.

I'm building the Academy Mk. IV, and I'm using Vallejo Surface Primer Israeli Sand Grey 73-614. It is also a perfect match for the Tamiya mix, according to this thread: Vallejo Primer

My plan is to add some OD Green to the primer for panel lines and such before the final coat, then using pastels to "dust" the model.
 _GOTOTOP