_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Nashorn 3./s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 02:29 AM UTC
Hello
Following a break from the hobby, I have started where I left off. This build is the DML 6314 kit and it's gonna depict a vehicle of 3./s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88.

So far the gun is assembled and primed. The gun breech is from the Verlinden upgrade kit and the barrel is the aber one. The Verlinden set actually comes with a resin barrel, but the main reason for using the verlinden one, is that the gun breach is in 1 piece, whereas the DML is 2 parts, that would need some careful filling, something I apparently could'nt handle 4 years ago when I started the build.

Next up is the hull, wheels and friul assembly.

Thanks for looking
Erik
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:20 AM UTC
An update. I have for the most part completed the hull assembly and the wheels has been cleaned up and primed. The friuls has been dry fitted to determine wheter the lenght os ok, and I think it is, the idler wheel isn't fixed yet, so still room for adjustment. I've used the wheels from the Tristar Panzer 4 wheel set, as the boogies in those are movable, and the DML wheels doesn't fit the Tristar boogies well (the tires hasn't been added yet). When I started this build I had intentions of a grand diorama, hence the movable boogies, but I have turned the ambitions down a bit, let's just finish it and see what happens. Just noticed that the primer wasn't to happy about the handling when fitting the tracks, especially evident on the sprocket wheel.

Any comments are welcome
Erik
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 02:04 PM UTC
Nice work on your Nashorn.. I'll be following this build with interest..Be sure not to glue parts H19 and H20 as these are just supposed to be jigs and are supposed to be removed after placing the other parts in their right places.

Rick
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on your Nashorn.. I'll be following this build with interest..Be sure not to glue parts H19 and H20 as these are just supposed to be jigs and are supposed to be removed after placing the other parts in their right places.

Rick

lol. Yeah the instructions don't make that clear.

Watching with interest bud.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:01 PM UTC
Hi,
Looking Great so far. I will also be following along as I just made a trade for one of these. Cannot wait to get it.

mil
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:03 PM UTC
Thanks Andy and Richard
Thanks for the heads up, but the use of M14 and M15 for positioning L4 is included in step 5 (this is the DML 6314). Still the instructions are not good, more on that later. So far the hull fit is great, the only thing I wasn't happy about was the interface between the horizontal gun mount plate and the sloping front armor, where I felt that some filling was needed. However upon cleaning it up, the moulded on bolts took damage from the sanding, and I replaced them with PE ones, not sure they are flush, but I'll learn to live with it....eventually!

Erik
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
thanks milvehfa...I think it's a great kit, you have a fun build to look forward to, although there are some small issues, but then again every kit has I guess.

Erik
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 07:23 AM UTC
Small update. I've turned my attention to the rear part, and here the instructions are missing some important notions. So you are given the option of adding extra detail by using the PE flange that connects the rear hull and superstructure. However it's not indicated that you'll have to remove the molded flange first. I'll stick with the molded flange, although it doesn't have the bolts. Another thing is the 2 PE flange parts doesn't have any bending line/groove, which also added to the decision of putting them aside, as I don't have any tool for bending PE.

Any comments are welcome
Erik
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 10:39 PM UTC
I'm slowly progressing, I have glued the ammo bins in place + the mounts for the radio transformer and transmitter (from the Verlinden set)might have do redo it, doesn't look flush

Now I'm trying to figure out how much of the super structure I can assemble whilst still being able to paint the interior.

I have dry fitted the oblique armor, and upon dry fitting the side armor, some real bad fitting on the right side was revealed, owing to the bad alignment of the protruding rectangle of the side armor with the hull.

Hence, some of the protruding rectangle was removed with a blade in order to achieve a better fit.

Thanks for looking
Erik
AlexStefan
Visit this Community
Equatorial Guinea
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 11:56 PM UTC
Nice one.
My fav. tank in WoT^^. Amazing gun.
Good luck with this one, looking good so far.
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 06:44 AM UTC
Missed this one! Looks cool, looking forward to seeing it progress.
I only recently learned about this vehicle and it is a really interesting creation was considering buying the new Tamiya version
AlexStefan
Visit this Community
Equatorial Guinea
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 06:51 AM UTC
I forgot to ask, how is the VERLINDEN for the Nashorn?
The interior set for the Tiger I E late is driving me nuts, I almost threw it against the wall today, such tough resign and way too much cut aways...
I'm at a 60% scratch making rate now I guess.
Just to know for further projects, it would be nice to have a review and input from your side about the Verlinden parts here.

Thx,
Alex
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:47 AM UTC
Thanks Johan and Alex.

Alex, the only reason I got hold on the Verlinden set was because of the resin gun breach which is in one piece, compared to the 2-part dragon. Besides that it features the mount for the transformer and transmitter, and a resin radio (no radio, on PE mount, included in the DML 6314!) and transmitter or transformer (don't no which one is which). Then there's a resin scissors telescope included, which I intend to use, since I broke the one from the kit when removing it from the sprue. Besides that I'm not gonna use anymore from this set, as I'm fed up with PE Just wanna get to the weathering stage.
With today's standard of the kits, the Verlinden set doesn't have anything spectacular to offer, besides the one-piece gun breach IMHO.

Johan, you should consider the AFV club one as well I think, but hey... you got a paint job to finish first..right

Erik

Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 10:14 AM UTC
[quote
Johan, you should consider the AFV club one as well I think, but hey... you got a paint job to finish first..right

Erik
[/quote]

Ehrm, buying new kits and painting finished builds are two completely different categories. Which makes it ok. I think. Right?
AlexStefan
Visit this Community
Equatorial Guinea
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC
Ah ok.
Ye well, as for the interior for the Tiger you do need sth. Some parts are really good, some are simply not.
Thx for your input.
AlexStefan
Visit this Community
Equatorial Guinea
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
Erik, i forgot, are you getting a metal barrel, or r u going to stick with the original plastic one?
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[quote

Erik

Quoted Text

Ehrm, buying new kits and painting finished builds are two completely different categories. Which makes it ok. I think. Right?

Yes I'm afraid so, if I just spend as much time on the latter as on the former I would have a much better work flow

/Erik
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Erik, i forgot, are you getting a metal barrel, or r u going to stick with the original plastic one?

No the barrel is the Aber one.

/Erik
AlexStefan
Visit this Community
Equatorial Guinea
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 09:41 AM UTC
Kk, standard.
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hi
Haven't really been progressing on the nashorn, as I have been practising my airbrushing skills. So with the AK Interactive modulation set, I have used an old ICM Pz II as target, and have realized I have much to learn about airbrushing. Any ways, here's the result.

Erik
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 07:42 AM UTC
Finally managed to get the last pieces added to the gun and got it painted. Some seams showed up here and there, guess that will vouch for a grey primer instead of a black one.

Any comments are welcome
Erik
AlexStefan
Visit this Community
Equatorial Guinea
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2014 - 06:58 AM UTC
Looking good.
Kepp it up.
holmerz
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC
Thanks Alex
I finally found the courage and attached the side armor, some minor filling was required along the interface with the oblique armor plates. The interior was initially primed and then given a coat with a mixture of the AK int. dunkelgelb light base and highlight 70:30. Next I'm gonna weather and finish as much of the interior as possible before installing the gun and rear plate.

Erik
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 01:22 AM UTC
Nice work !! The tracks look like they need to be tightened up? Or is it just my eyes?
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 01:34 AM UTC
Looking very good , I like very much your photography
 _GOTOTOP