_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Ultrasonic cleaner to clean lacquer-used a/bs
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hey all,

I'd like to use my ultrasonic cleaner to clean an Iwata Revolution airbrush I use exclusively to shoot Alclad primers (lacquer-based). What solvent/solution can I use inside the UC to get the airbrush cleaned? Will Medea Airbrush Cleaner help if I first soak the brush for a few hours before running the UC?

I've manually cleaned the brush with lacquer thinner but I've gotten to a point where I'd like to use the UC for a deep cleaning (haven't done a deep cleaning in a couple of years). I know that solvents aren't really recommended inside the UC so I'm curious as to what I can use to get the cleaning I'm after.

Thanks!

Rob
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:15 AM UTC
Ultrsonic cleaners work by vibrating a hardened layer until it flakes and shatters. Water is the safest solvent for both the US cleaner and the AB. And it DOES work. I've done my Iwata HP parts a couple-three times and removed plenty of hidden, dired-on paint deposits of both enamels and acryls.

Soaking tips and such in the Medea cleaner is great - for that matter, in acetone, too - just let the soaked parts dry well afterwards and move them into your US bath for additional cleaning.

Bob
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:25 AM UTC
Thanks a lot, Bob. Just the answer I was looking for!

Rob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC
Can you get away with using a generic UC? I ask, because it would save me $20.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 07:43 AM UTC
Matt,

I've had good luck so far with the small one from Harbor Freight
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 08:00 AM UTC
Matt,
That answers my question. Thanks.
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 09:03 AM UTC
I bought a UC from Amazon for about $30. Works great. I use it after manually cleaning the airbrush with the appropriate cleaning solutions (for whatever paint I used). In the UC, I only use DISTILLED water. If you use tap water, it can leave mineral deposits in the airbrush, depending on how hard your water is.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:05 AM UTC
I can get one on EBay for $7.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:44 AM UTC
What I do is put a glass (Not Plastic) jar in my sonic cleaner filled with lacquer thinner (or whatever thinner for the type of paint) and put the AB parts in it for a couple of minutes. So far I have not started a fire or blown up the house and I have not been found on the floor overcome with toxic fumes.

Here my old school Model Masters AB (Aztek) getting a cleaning after a paint session

Cheers
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 02:19 PM UTC
Thanks for the feedback, gents! I ran the brush through 3 eight-minute baths of distilled water mixed with some Medea Airbrush cleaner and it came out looking great! I did let the parts soaked in there for a couple hours before I ran the UC.

Rob
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What I do is put a glass (Not Plastic) jar in my sonic cleaner filled with lacquer thinner (or whatever thinner for the type of paint) and put the AB parts in it for a couple of minutes. So far I have not started a fire or blown up the house and I have not been found on the floor overcome with toxic fumes.

Here my old school Model Masters AB (Aztek) getting a cleaning after a paint session

Cheers

I got what looks like the same USC from a well-known discount supermarked in the UK, when it was errr... further discounted by 50%!
Result!

As above, if you are going to soak for a few hours, do it in a jar away from the USC, then transfer to the USC, I use (US-dishsoap)/UK-Washing-up liquid.

Caution, soaking some a/b's with rubber seals in thinners, cellulose/lacquer/enamel/nasty gunk will degrade the expensive, fiddly & tiny rubber bits.

As a bonus it cleans the SWIMBO's jewelery & CD's very well, = 1,000,000's of brownie points, but don't try putting it on the household budget column, or you'll loose them brownie points & hardly get to use it again...
 _GOTOTOP