_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Picking the right airbrush
SimonK
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hey guys,

This will be my first airbrush, and I will have to get a compressor and a ventilation box as well, so I have to keep the cost down. I've read about the airbrushes, but have never handled one.

Below is a list of airbrushes that I can afford and found on Amazon.co.uk.

iwata

- neo - less than 60
- eclipse 100
- revolution 100

BADGER
- patriot 80
- velocity 127
- 155 Anthem dual action - 94-103
- renegade 140
- Model 100-5(LG-F) 88

Harder & Steenbeck
evolution solo - 114
evolution silverline - 120

Im in Ireland right now, so I'm using Amazon.co.uk to check the prices. If there are better stores out there that ship to Ireland, do let me know!
ShellShocked
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:15 AM UTC
Each person has their own preference. Since you never used a brush before, you will learn and adapt to the one you decide on. Then later as you gain experience, you my make a change. You are going double-action right off the bat, so it will be a little longer for the learning curve. The prices you list are all similar. Badger makes a good brush as far as durability is concerned, ease of cleaning, and available parts.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 01:02 PM UTC
Hello Simon,

If your wanting a great all-round airbrush that will last for many many years if taken care of and you have the cash, IMHO you cant go wrong with the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/eclipse/hp-cs/

Or the Badger Renegade Krome or Renegade Velocity.

http://www.badgerthayer.com/renegade.html

IMO, the Iwata is a bit more versatile in general area spraying as well as camo work. However, any one of these will not disappoint you and will last forever if ya treat it nice.

Harder & Steenbeck are too pricey IMO for the same performance, Unless ya want ultra fine line work then they do perform.

Anyhoo, thats my 2 cents. Good luck man!

Gary
csakurac
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 01:30 PM UTC
Like what Frank said, everyone has their own preference for airbrush. You should see if you can try them first before you buy them, that way you can find the best fit.

Nonetheless, Iwata Eclipse HP-CS (great recommendation Simon) is a great brush to start off. The starting tip is 5mm, which is great for general airbrush and some degree of fine detailing. If you want ultra fine detail, you have to purchase an alternative tip for ~$15-30 (I don't remember).

I personally own an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and a Mr. Color procon boy (basically a Japanese version of Iwata HP-CS). Love them both! Badger is great too, but I don't like siphon bottles so I never though about purchasing one back then.

Hope this helps!

Jerry
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 02:21 PM UTC
Try airbrush city on ebay. I got all of mine for a real good price. They have all types of packages for your price range. I'll try to find the link to there online store.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 03:19 PM UTC
I'm going to recommend the Badger Patriot. It has the advantage of being quite forgiving and easy to clean, sprays a surprisingly reliable and thin line, and is a great bargain for the price. I initially got it as a back up and general use airbrush but it quickly became my go-to airbrush for everything except really fine detail work (like painting resin figures). For armor modeling I don't think I've used another brush since. The best feature is that you can adjust the tension on the double action trigger which is hugely useful for beginners ( which includes me!).
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 06:05 PM UTC
Simon,
Here's another supplier. Chicago Airbrush:

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com

--mike
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 03:34 AM UTC
I have a badger renegade velocity and an Iwata...

and the prize goes to the Iwata, no question
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC
Go with whoever stocks spares thats easy for you to get, if its a first airbrush expect to replace needles and tips frequently as you damage them learning about the airbrush.
Spares can be got on ebay etc but you dont want to wait days for the post, what does your LHS stock and do they carry spares??
redrx7
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 01:57 PM UTC
Hey, you've probably already purchased an Airbrush by now but it's never a bad idea to have several - some more inexpensive ones,in the UK these are usually Chinese Iwata copies ,and perhaps a more expensive one such as any of the Harder & Steenbeck models. In any case,when you handle any of the H&S Airbrushes the sheer precision and quality is immediately apparent compared to equivalent(at price point) American and Japanese designs.
kb4003
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 02:58 PM UTC
I'm also considering an airbrush and wondered if a ventilation box is necessary for spraying Vallejo acrylics? I live in an apartment and wondered how much paint gets into the air? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
 _GOTOTOP