_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
how to paint neatly
beast15
Visit this Community
Ad Dammam, Saudi Arabia / لعربية
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:20 AM UTC
Right now Im working on the USS Missouri and I cant paint it properly. I want to give the deck a wood finish, but I cant seem to paint it without it, getting on the other parts. any tips would be appreciated. thanks in advance
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:49 AM UTC
A very steady hand,or masking off are really your only choices I can think of.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC
I would recommend holding a piece of paper against the surfaces you don't want to paint.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:00 AM UTC
If you're using a brush, try to brace your hand to steady the brush and try not to overload the paint and make sure its thinned to flow properly. A proper sized and type of brush will help too, not too big, not too small, flat for general coverage, rounds for detail and medium/fie coverage. Patience and practice are about the only way apart from masking as mentioned.

Kimmo
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:10 AM UTC
I'm not a ship builder Hamza,but beyond what the others have said,is only that in the future study the instructions and try to anticipate what areas are going to be difficult to paint later and paint those parts before assembly.

Tom
sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:14 AM UTC
I find that if I have an unsteady hand, I have a pint of beer, I find it's just enough to take the edge of the trembles.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not a ship builder Hamza,but beyond what the others have said,is only that in the future study the instructions and try to anticipate what areas are going to be difficult to paint later and paint those parts before assembly.

Tom

Exactly Tom! Pre-painting while assembling works on ALL type of projects when masking is just not an option.

Jeff
bigjsd
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 08:29 AM UTC
That my friend is why I build armor. Less painting precision needed for most projects. I uses to do mainly aircraft and always had trouble staying precise. Once I tried my first armor build I was hooked. "Most" painting mistakes can be hidden by future weathering unless of course you aren't planning to weather, but what fun is that I do like the beer suggestion though
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find that if I have an unsteady hand, I have a pint of beer, I find it's just enough to take the edge of the trembles.

the heck with the pint go with a gallon .
One of the things you can try is enamel over and acrylic base coat . If you say want to paint the wooden deck use an enamel, let that sit till it skins then take a brush , wet it with enamel thinner then you can remove any over painted details . The enamel thinner will not react with the acrylic and since enamel is more forgiving you can touch up any errors. The thinner will overflow the enamel and as long as you do not scrub the enamel the thinner will just evaporate away . Now be careful and don't be to aggressive with the scrubbing since enamel thinner will ultimately remove acrylic also . I have done this with Tamiya and Mr hobby paints and Vallejo panzer aces . And Humbrol enamels . Not sure how life color will react .
 _GOTOTOP