_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M60 Blazer kit questions
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi all.

I need a little assistance. I am considering building an IDF M60 Blazer( Magach 6b? or 6r?). I have heard the Italeri version is the old ESCI kit, which is supposed to be the better kit. But has the US? track and the older Aluminium wheels as opposed to the Academy kits that have the Steel wheels and T-72? style track. Am I able to use both and bash the academy tracks/drive sprockets and wheels onto the Italeri or would I be better off getting some after market tracks? On which subject any idea on the correct ones from fruli? or are there any other options.

In know that Legend do a conversion would that be a worth while purchase. Or just the eduard set of PE?

Also do I need an Urdan cupola? do any of them come with? I know accurate armour make one so no problem if not.

Just a few questions!

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Garrand
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hi,

IMHO the Italeri/Esci kit has the best base M60A1/A3 kit currently on the market (at least until AFV Club's kit hits, which undoubtedly will be better). The problem is that the Academy kit of the same tank has as its basis the old Tamiya M60A1 parts, which date back to the late '60s or early '70s. Academy improved some of the details (IIRC seperate stowage bin handles FREX), but most are still as they were. On the other hand, the Blazer and other detail parts on the Academy kit are better executed than on the Italeri/Esci kits, especially the machine gun mounts. If I were to do this project again, I would kitbash the two together to make a better tank, or wait for the AFV Club kit to come out, and kitbash that with the Academy kit. You'd probably have to do a little adaption, but the approach of both kits is very similar. I think you could do it. I know I have successfully used Tamiya rubber band tracks on the Esci kit.

Damon.
hobgrot
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:55 AM UTC
the Academy kit is not much better than the Esci one - urdan cupola still crude etc. It has Merkava tracks but the replacement sprocket is nothing like the real item (there was a resin one out there somewhere). Wheels are the old finned aluminium type that Israel did away with asap - I used the steel types off an M-48. Waiting for Meng to do this one.
 _GOTOTOP