_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
1 72 Dora dio
bazers
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi Guys
Almost finished 1 72 scale dora then realised it needed trucks and figures to give it scale so i turned it to a dio hope you like ( am i to late for the big guns competion ? Bazer

parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:03 AM UTC
Looks amazing Barry.
You don't get any bigger for a BIG GUNS competition.Even in 1/72 it looks massive.
Great work on the vehicles and figures.My hat is off to you for work in that scale.I find it hard enough to paint 1/48 scale.Nice detailing.

Tom
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hello Barry ,

this diorama looks fantastic . Nice scene with an excellent painting on the figures .... You have my respect too.

Thanks for sharing , well done !

Greets ,

Kurt
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 11:05 AM UTC
Nice job on the dio. One nitpik though, the rail should not come up to almost the knees. At the most, the top of the rail should be no higher than 5 scale inches. Rail was measured in weight lbs/3ft or kg/meter with 90lbs being the most common which is about 5 inches in height. I recommend replacing the rail with model train rail from Peco.
Charlie
geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi Barry,

Very nice work on the Dora and the diorama. Where did you find the figures? I've been looking for some to go with the scratch-built 1/72 scale Paris gun I'm building for the Great War campaign, but all the Great War German soldiers I've found are poor quality rubbery plastic from Hat and Revell. The Paris gun crews were drawn from the Imperial German Navy but wore army uniforms. The figures I have are outfitted with full infantry field kit, all of which has to be cut off, and the rubbery plastic is nearly impossible to sand smooth.

I used HO (1/87 scale) Atlas flex-track for the Paris gun diorama, and had to split it to widen it to 1/72 scale. That leaves a gap in the middle which I'll eventually cover with something - dirt, or ballast, even though real railroaders would consider that bad practice.

Cheers
Dick
bazers
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:48 PM UTC
Thanks for comments guys,you are correct about the rails they are way to big for 1 72 scale but i already had gun attached to them and wired to a base when i decided to change it to a dio.
I am using 00 track split down the middle for my B P 42 armoured train as the track in the kit is rubish.
Dick the figures i used are preiser but are hard to get also ceasar are nice and plastic is quite hard so you can alter positions ,ww11 panzer crews,ww11 german infantry 1943 come as asembley set they are realy good .
you are buiding the paris gun WOW do you have any pics of work so far would love to see progress . could send you my e mail address if you want, i am working on 1 72 schwere bruno ,love these big guns.
Barry.

geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info on the figures. I'll check them out. I should be posting some more pictures in the next few days, but if you go to the Great War - Dawning of a New Age campaign forum you'll see a lot of interesting builds. Go back a few pages and you'll find see some photos of my Paris Gun build.
A big gun project which would be a lot easier than the Paris Gun would be one of the 38 cm Lange Max guns. There are some pretty good scale drawings of those on the Internet, some with dimensions. The Lange Max was the base for the Paris Gun with a smaller caliber liner and a smoothbore extension and suspension rig. The carriage and emplacements were the same.

Cheers
Dick
Cowinacape
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 04:39 PM UTC
Nice work on your Dora, I have the same kit in my stash, and am nervously anticipating tearing into it.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:04 PM UTC
Hi Barry,

Super work. The figs and trucks really put the size of this thing into perspective. Hats off to you Sir.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP