Hosted by Darren Baker
Kinetic Maxx Pro
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:00 AM UTC
Very excited! Got a package from Hong Kong this morning. I've been waiting forever to have one of the often mentioned Maxx Pros in plastic and it's finally

}
Stickframe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:31 AM UTC
Lucky you!! I'm waiting for mine - they sent a shipment note a while ago - so hopefully here soon!

Any early thoughts? All pieces there? Not warped etc?

Have fun building it!

Cheers
Nick
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:01 AM UTC
Thanks Nick...

Initial thoughts:

Well packaged each sprue in cello bags. 7 sprues plus wheels, decals and PE. Castings are clean with very little flash. No obvious ejector pin marks on visible sides of pieces and just a couple of minor pour/low spots. Nice detail on things like dif covers, pedals, and radio faces. Plastic is nice and heavy compared to some of the modern kits that IMHO are a little on the thin/soft side. The Rubber tires look excellent at first glance.
The instructions are clear and seem well laid out only the front cover seeming a little dark. Very impressed with the decal step with good blow ups of door areas and actual pic of truck rear ramp and fenders.
Only thing that stands out as questionable to me is the M2 machine gun in weapons station sprue. It looks a little clunky and a tad short to me. The Mk 19 is much better with good detail and an excellent muzzle for plastic. Was also very happy to see the G-OPK shield I hadn't seen in any of the preproduction shots.
The PE is very nice if simple and a little thin, but that may just be my novice judgement.

Overall? I'm really excited and anxious to get this beast going...!
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:08 AM UTC

}
Crox77
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:27 AM UTC
Very nice, can't wait for mine, hopefully be here next week
Stickframe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:42 AM UTC
Hi Jamie - thanks for the quick review! Looking forward to your build -

Cheers
Nick
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 07:33 PM UTC
Tx Jamie for this review. My Maxx Pro is on the way, wait it with impatience!!!
Can you make a better view from the decal sheet ? TIA
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 07:38 PM UTC
Thanks for the pics.. you got it really quick!! I probably won't get mine till after 2 or 3 weeks

I was hoping the front hood and fenders were separate so that maybe Legend could make an engine for it... But, no problem.. still looks like it will be a very nice kit to build

Hisham
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:03 AM UTC
My pleasure Pascal...

JmeDubya
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:18 AM UTC

}

Ok, about half way into build and wanted to share a few more observations. While the ejector pin marks are ok there's lots of molding seams that do require some attention. Fit is good and instructions are ok up to the fifth step.

In step five you begin assembling the dash and interior and the instructions get kind of vague. Part numbers for the two part dash are left off and fit of the pedals and blue force tracker screen are pretty much up to you. I trimmed off a couple of locator pins for the pedals and went with logic for the BFT. The same is true of the radio racks in the back of the truck. They fit but the instructions don't point out that the pax side shelf actually secures to the upper hull gun ring. Nothing big but it did throw me a bit.

The radio rack includes one radio face but is very simplistic. Perfect spot for an aftermarket radio set. Overall the interior to me is fine for things being in the right places when you look through the windows but for the super detailers amongst us, it needs some work.
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 02:04 PM UTC

Finished the interior.

Couple of further things...

The rear bulkhead is attached at this point but relies on the position of the side fenders and compartments installed at step 4. Doing it over again I would attach the bulkhead then too. It's out of the way of the interior parts, and would make the alignment much easier. As it is I think I'm going to have to do some minor putting.

Also, and more my fault then kinetic's... Six troop seats for the rear area are included in the kit, and despite only 4 being called out in the instructions I installed them all. To Kinetics credit there are six "helmet nets" in the PE for over each seat. By using all six however there is not one for the TCs seat in the front cabin. While the instructions don't call for that one, the actual pics as well as those of the legend kit do...
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 02:45 PM UTC
Thanks Jamie. All things look very nice. You are building this MRAP very quickly!
Can you measure the wheelbase (in mm) that is a good indication for the correctnees of dimensions. TIA
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 03:14 PM UTC
After a close look on the decal sheet, the decals are totally correct. This is just that is missing to the Legend kit that I have WIP since some times....
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 03:22 PM UTC
I'll slow way down now, as I have to paint before going to much further. Kinetic has also helped by making a kit that goes to get her well and easily. I am kind of surprised just how many parts are left with just the exterior left... I'd also like to say thanks for your excellent build of the legend kit, it's been more help than anything else for the couple of oversights in the instructions.

I get a wheel base measurement of 111mm, a wheel diameter of 34mm, and 67mm across the from bumper to give you a couple of numbers to play with...
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 04:01 PM UTC
Pascal hope this is clearer and helps with your project...

pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 05:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

urther things...

Also, and more my fault then kinetic's... Six troop seats for the rear area are included in the kit, and despite only 4 being called out in the instructions I installed them all. To Kinetics credit there are six "helmet nets" in the PE for over each seat. By using all six however there is not one for the TCs seat in the front cabin. While the instructions don't call for that one, the actual pics as well as those of the legend kit do...

I have notice this fact (6 seats). In my ref pic there are only 4 seats in the rear cab.But the Navistar data specs give this information : 2-man crew plus 4-6 passengers and gunner.
Each units have different equipped vehicle (for their own missions), so it is not impossible to see a 6 seats configuration.

The box at the rear lef is not a radio but the Crew Duke system main box.

Real WB is 153 inches or 3886mm. 111mm in 1/35 is totally corect.
hliu24
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 798 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hi, Jamie

Great Job! Kinetic Maxxpro looking great .

Why did you trim off a couple of locator pins for the pedals? Fit issue? And can you explain "the pax side shelf actually secures to the upper hull gun ring"?

Thank you

Jay
Crox77
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 08:29 AM UTC
Looking good Jamie, I really hope mine drops this week
mvaiano
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,054 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 02:14 AM UTC
Nice Jamie!

It will helps a lot when I receive mine.

Thank you

Marco
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 05:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the photos of the kit. Is it clear plastic for all the lights in the kit? I have the legend kit , maybe i could buy this one for the decals and the lights if they are clear as i dont like the ones in the legend kit...
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hey guys, sorry for the absence after being so fired up to get started... Here a little more WIP and another couple of observations so far in...

}

Got most of the basic assembly done and a base coat of paint on most of the parts. A couple of things I'll add to what I pointed out before.

On step 4 of the instruction you are asked to install the air conditioning fans on each side of the lower hull, and then their PE covers are provided. This cover grill has a very dominate 'crease' or dividing line that runs laterally between the upper and lower halves, unfortunately it is not etched nor is a fold line for the PE. Probably not an issue if you have a PE bender or jig, but caused me fits trying to get it sharp enough without mis-shaping the part... Be careful.

The second is about the weapons for the o-gpk station on the roof. I initially thought just the M2 was an issue but after struggling with the mk19 as well I decided there's no hope for the kit weapons. They just look cartoonishly big and clunky to me, so instead a left over M2 from the parts box looked much better.

I'm building my truck buttoned up, and there is very little of the interior visible from outside. From my POV the interior is the big difference between this and the Legend truck, so just something to keep in mind. Over-all, still very happy with this kit!!!

Glad to see a couple of others have their trucks too. Can't wait to see your builds! Now, on to weathering...

Yes, all the headlights, spotlights, tai lights, and marker lights on the truck are moulded in clear plastic.
hliu24
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 798 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 02:51 PM UTC
looking good man, don't forget that you could fill up the maxx pro a little bit more with those extra parts from Sprue K, if you are not using any AM parts.

I will follow your build

Jay
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 07:13 PM UTC
Thanks for all those tiops. I just started mine at the weekend.

For those not yet started: when constructing the front wheel assembly if the two hub halfs each side are not glued to the pins in the axel ends, and the connector rod from one hub to the other is fixed by melting the ends of the locating pins, then the wheels can be left movable. May not make sense in writing but when you're looking at this step in the instructions you'll understand.
aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 621 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 10:31 PM UTC
Looking good so far! Did you noticed any vertical sink marks along the sides of the main body? https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/222090&page=1 Also what main color did you use so far? Keep up the good work!
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 01:34 AM UTC
Nice work!!! I probably missed it, but how did you tint the windshield?
 _GOTOTOP