_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
modified humvee
dweeb203
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hi! I'm a new member here in armorama, so i'd like to show my build log on a modified humvee, based on 1/35 academy M966 TOW carrier, here' s what i can share for now
I bought it on monday, but because i arrived home late night, i started the build tuesday evening, but only pre-painted it on the sprue, for some big parts. Today (wednesday i builded it until it looks like the picture above. The modification i wanted is to make it more 'armored' while it still looks agile. Critics and comments are welcome (i even expected it to improve my skill)
dweeb203
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 12:09 AM UTC
i've done a bit work today, with putty and pla plate, and unused parts on the kit itself
zimmerit coated driver door (i don't even know why i did this, but hell, it's okay)
[it's messy, isn't it?]

extra stowage bin

[but it looks weird now, what should i do?]

flattened backdoor (or whatever it is, i don't know the name

and i made a mask for the gunner
[yeah, i know the mask is too big, i'll fix it later]
eelco1974
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:26 AM UTC
It looks like you are having a lot of fun building and painting.
Want talk about realism, but don't think it's your goal to get realistic.

Only thing I can advice is ti thin down your paint more. It's better and nicer to paint in several thin layers then in one or two thick ones.

So keep up the work and stay having fun.

Best regards, Eelco
dweeb203
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 06:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks like you are having a lot of fun building and painting.
Want talk about realism, but don't think it's your goal to get realistic.

Only thing I can advice is ti thin down your paint more. It's better and nicer to paint in several thin layers then in one or two thick ones.

So keep up the work and stay having fun.

Best regards, Eelco

thanks for the advice i do feel the paint is too thick, but because the mod is in progress, i'll repaint it later. and about realism, there's bunch of ideas in my head, most of them are absurd, but i'm trying to visualize my crazy ideas on this, so, this build was meant to be crazy one
by the way, it's totally handpainted, i don't have any airbrush. probably the thinner evaporates in the pallet because i took too long on the other paint
dweeb203
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 03:33 AM UTC
minor update, the custom build turret
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 06:08 AM UTC
My friend Fernanda, even without airbrush I believe that you are able to finish them better. You're right, the figures are usually performed by hand painting, since airbrush commonly used to paint the vehicle or ground work/base. The figures should not be shiny, they have to be flat colored. Try the paint that originally have flat characteristic, okay? Good luck brother!

Warm regards

Garry
dweeb203
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My friend Fernanda, even without airbrush I believe that you are able to finish them better. You're right, the figures are usually performed by hand painting, since airbrush commonly used to paint the vehicle or ground work/base. The figures should not be shiny, they have to be flat colored. Try the paint that originally have flat characteristic, okay? Good luck brother!

Warm regards

Garry

I wonder why we speak (or write) english while we can speak in our language
Makasih bro sarannya, aku catnya make cat mr.hobby sm academy, tp banyak yg thinnernya menguap waktu masih di palet, jadinya kekentelan, walhasil jadi mengkilap gitu. Ntar kucat ulang deh, kalo masih mengkilap ku topcoat aja
------------------------------
Bro, thanks for the advice! The paints i'm using are Mr.hobby (lacquer and acrylics[aqueous]) and academy. I know academy's paint wasn't really good, but they has some colors other major mafucturer doesn't make, (ie. Sinai gray), and it's pretty cheap. When i handbrushed it, the paint evaporated on the palet (possibly because i went to the bathroom too long), it made the paint too thick, and reaulting the finish to be glossy, i'll repaint it, but if the same happens, i'll topcoat it flat
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Makasih bro sarannya, aku catnya make cat mr.hobby sm academy, tp banyak yg thinnernya menguap waktu masih di palet, jadinya kekentelan, walhasil jadi mengkilap gitu. Ntar kucat ulang deh, kalo masih mengkilap ku topcoat aja

Hahaha, maap bro, kalo beberapa case di Armorama yang udah ane palajarin sih, gak enak & kasian aja sama user/modeler lain yang ngebaca diskusi kita. Kalo ada satu postingan doi ga ngerti, kan kasian, hihihi.. Selain itu, sebenernya ada ko yang khusus ngasih izin posting bebas pake bahasa negaranya masing-masing, tapi mesti di-post di thread 'Community' negara si user/modeler yang bersangkutan. Kalo Indonesia sayangnya sepiiii gannn... Coba aj ente klik yang icon bendera kita di pojok kanan atas (dalam kondisi login ya bro).

Yup topcoat sih oke2 aja, tapi kalo kita bisa ngelatih ngecet pake teknik yang bener dari awal kan bisa jadi lebih manteps bro, ya ga? Eh btw ane newbie juga bro, masih belajar banyak banget. Tuh kalo mo ngecek salah satu thread terbaru ane abis 'diomelin' sama user laen, hehehe.. ga diomelin sih, cuma kritik aj abis2an. Good luck bro!

Cheers

Garry
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Because noone else can read it and potentially help you out w/your build. It is also rude to the rest of us since this is primarily an english-speaking site.
dweeb203
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Because noone else can read it and potentially help you out w/your build. It is also rude to the rest of us since this is primarily an english-speaking site.

okay, i get it, i'll edit the my post
eelco1974
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 08:44 PM UTC
When painting with acrylics take care to start with a good primer. Otherwise your paint won't hold on your model.
You can use a primer from a spray. I always use citadel (warhammer) or Tamiya.

When painting with acrylics try to use a wet palette. Using a wet palette avoid your paints to dry when you are still painting.
It also gives you much better control for mixing and dilutting your paints.

Greetings, Eelco
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..flattened backdoor (or whatever it is, i don't know the name..

Hello brother Fernanda, just a little suggestion, you may try to fix the rear-right tire, in my opinion, it seems not in right position: too sloped. And let you try to repaint the skin of the figures with acrylic flesh. Good luck bro!

Cheers

Garry
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 09:17 PM UTC
Interesting design. I think the extra storage bin needs to be balanced on the other side. And more guns added. That low down 50cal has a very limited field fo fire.....

Humvees are great for fun "what-if" builds. 2 of mine:
A Leatherman Humvee:

And a Future Humvee:

The turret is from an M1117 Guardian.
dweeb203
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 04:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When painting with acrylics take care to start with a good primer. Otherwise your paint won't hold on your model.
You can use a primer from a spray. I always use citadel (warhammer) or Tamiya.

When painting with acrylics try to use a wet palette. Using a wet palette avoid your paints to dry when you are still painting.
It also gives you much better control for mixing and dilutting your paints.

Greetings, Eelco

i see, my fatal mistake when using acrylics is using industrial thinner, i don't know that it can be diluted with water and using thinner, means the previous layer (primer in this case) will also fade off. how i've just realized it now? i'm a moron. thanks for the advice, by the way.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

..flattened backdoor (or whatever it is, i don't know the name..

Hello brother Fernanda, just a little suggestion, you may try to fix the rear-right tire, in my opinion, it seems not in right position: too sloped. And let you try to repaint the skin of the figures with acrylic flesh. Good luck bro!

Cheers

Garry

oh, i didn't realize that, i'll fix it soon. and it's quite hard to find the flesh color here, so, any information where? (since we live in a same city), most of my paints are from 59garage (mr.hobby acrylics and lacquers)

Quoted Text

Interesting design. I think the extra storage bin needs to be balanced on the other side. And more guns added. That low down 50cal has a very limited field fo fire.....

Humvees are great for fun "what-if" builds. 2 of mine:
A Leatherman Humvee:

And a Future Humvee:

The turret is from an M1117 Guardian.

that leatherman humvee's RCWS (i don't what that was called) is totally overkill, and i love overkills!
.50 cal MG, 25mm chain gun (is it? it looks like bradley's chain gun barrel to me), hydra rockets (CMIIW, you took it from apache?)
i'll add the storage on the left to balance it for sure, but i'm busy with the desertised campaign, so i'll add it later. the 50.cal MG on the rear will probably be replaced with LiveResin's MK19 (hope i had enough budget to buy it later, but not now). while the weapon mounted on the top (turret,scratch built,first time, doesn't end up as excellent, but it's enough for a noob like me) will be TOW missile (since this is M966). thanks for the comments, sean!

oh,and is there any other alternatives to dilute enamel paints?
vnam_mod
Visit this Community
Indonesia
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 04:51 PM UTC
If you looking for acrylic flesh colour, you should try to plaskit.net. He have lot stock of tamiya and mig production.
dweeb203
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 05:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you looking for acrylic flesh colour, you should try to plaskit.net. He have lot stock of tamiya and mig production.

i guess mig acrylics are out of my budgets, IDR 60.000 (USD 6) for a 17ml is not cheap to me. mr.hobby acrylics are IDR 25.000 (USD 2.5) for 10ml, 50.000 for 20ml, still cheaper. tamiya's acrylics are still more reasonable. however, i'll try to buy it when i got more cash (bentar lagi lebaran, THR,THR)
eelco1974
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

i guess mig acrylics are out of my budgets, IDR 60.000 (USD 6) for a 17ml is not cheap to me. mr.hobby acrylics are IDR 25.000 (USD 2.5) for 10ml, 50.000 for 20ml, still cheaper. tamiya's acrylics are still more reasonable. however, i'll try to buy it when i got more cash (bentar lagi lebaran, THR,THR)

Please, don't use Tamiya for painting with a brush. Despite they say it's acrylic, you cannot dilute with water but with special thinner. When using an airbrush, its very good.

I will advise you to use Vallejo and use a wet palette as mentioned before.

Best regards,

Eelco
dweeb203
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 08:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Please, don't use Tamiya for painting with a brush. Despite they say it's acrylic, you cannot dilute with water but with special thinner. When using an airbrush, its very good.

I will advise you to use Vallejo and use a wet palette as mentioned before.

Best regards,

Eelco

the only problem is vallejo is really hard to get here i heard from other modellers that vallejo has a good range of quality product, but sadly it's not available here do you have any other recommended paints for handbrushing?
vnam_mod
Visit this Community
Indonesia
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 10:41 PM UTC
maybe you should try using enamel paint as primer fleshtone. For highlights and shadows you can used oil paints. i've read this article on internet. You can find oil paints at any local bookstore like artland, gramedia. I used this technique just for painting heads, not for uniforms. For uniforms, i used enamel paint with drybrush technique as ussually
 _GOTOTOP