_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
first diorama a 1/48th KV-2
jmsbd07
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:15 AM UTC
well heres a general layout of the dio, (the KV-2 might be facing the other way) So this is my first dio that i have ever built so i'm asking for some tips on various aspects.

i'm planning to use this as a bookend and the right wall will be a brick wall. so I will be painting the wood rear wall flat black and i'm debating would it be better to use board insulation foam or plasticard for it ?
For the bricks i'm wondering how to give them a pattern if i use the foam or card. Then for the ground; dirt with possibly snow. So how should I attach the dirt and what to use for snow ?
Also any recommendations for other stuff to add in the dio ( stuff that could be scratched)
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...and what to use for snow ?...

For the snow, I used baking soda powder for food that mixed with 90% alcohol in order to avoid the growth of fungus that made the snow become yellowed over time. Good luck mate

Cheers

Garry
jmsbd07
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 03:02 PM UTC
more progress, I added a base of styrene and finally got some brick styrene.

1/48 KV-2 diorama WIP by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

next to add a hedgehog and some debris.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 09:47 PM UTC
Hi Tommy,

if you allow me one comment on the wall....it simply looks wrong! It looks like a heap of boards glued together!

Walls that thick made completely out of bricks.....I've never seen one, except in ancient roman ruins

Moreover, the surface of the broken edge is far too regular, going through from one side to the other....and none of these bricks would have suffered...!!??!!

I think you get the drift!

I would not cover the whole wall with styrene brick sheet either..too regular!

That wall is monumental (I understand why if you intend to use it as a bookend) and would benefit from something breaking it up, like a large window f.ex.

I would have used a cut-off hill instead of the wall! A nice slope down to the part where the tank is, a couple of bushes/small trees maybe..! And the tanks could point outward on both sides...nice effect!!

And if the hill is not high enough, you can always put a ruined wall section on top of the hill!

Just my 5c worth!

Cheers

Romain

jmsbd07
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 - 07:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice, though this is my first diorama and i'm still learning techniques. At first I was trying to use 2 in. foam and shape that into a brick wall, but that didn't work. It seems that I cant do anything about changing the base or the brick wall without starting over again. I chose a brick wall because it requires less scenery work.

speaking of scenery, could anyone help me out. I got some Woodland Scenic coarse turf and cement for the turf. I applied the cement with a brush and attempted to shake the Coarse turf from the bag it came in, this lead to the turf clumping up. Is there a better way to apply a uniform coat? Would It work better if I sprayed the cement?
1/48 KV-2 diorama by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

the rubble came out pretty well, It was my first time sculpting foam. More debris and grass will be added later and I will blend it into the wall/ground.

_GOTOTOP