_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Jeep Engine Color
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 03:27 AM UTC
I'm building the Tamiya Willys Jeep as a WWII Shore Patrol Jeep (PTO). I've been getting excellent advice about colors, registration numbers, etc. However I still have a few unanswered questions:

1) What color was the engine block on a Navy Jeep? Was it just the same shade of gray used on the exterior?

2) Were Navy Jeeps delivered OD from the factory and then painted by the Navy, or were they painted gray by Willys and/or Ford ?

3) Was the Cal.30 ever used on any SP Jeep anywhere? I know it wasn't typical, but it adds a lot of interest to the kit so I want some excuse to include it!

Thanks, Neil
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 04:26 AM UTC
Most of the Jeep references I've run across show delivery of the Jeep in overall OD green. When I painted my SAS Jeep, I sprayed the undercarriage OD then sprayed the rest of the Jeep sand, allowing plenty of over spray to cover the undercarriage color. I guess not much of an answer for you.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 04:46 AM UTC
I agree with Sabot.

The Jeeps were delivered from factory in OD Green. Some were painted in the Battleship Grey - but this was actually uncommon. Marine Corps Jeeps were repainted in Marine Green. Navy Jeeps were often left as delivered. The engine blocks weren't painted, or repainted I should say, if the exterior was painted Battleship Grey.

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 08:55 AM UTC
I haven't found any specific on engine colors, but I came across this site I thought you might like to check out...if you haven't already:

linkname http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_man/simon.htm

NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 08:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the help! I want to do a gray Jeep, so I think what I'll do is paint the exterior gray, the inside hood, engine and undercarriage OD, and then paint over the undercarriage with gray where it would have been accessible on a lift or blocks. I'll put on the .30 because I like the look, and -- who knows -- it could 'a happened!

BTW Guntruck, awesome Jeep on www.guntruck.com! I'll bookmark it as a reference; if mine turns out even half as good, I'll be more than satisfied.

p.s. With this post I made Private!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 09:15 AM UTC
While continueing a search on this interesting subject, I found that state-side naval jeeps were painted grey! A small excerpt:
Through the articles, I found that WWII jeeps, in the states, were battleship or "administrative" gray but that jeeps in "tactical" areas were another story. Jeeps used by the SEABEES were painted Marine forest green. If used by aviation units, they were painted...

Go here to read full story:

linkname http://www.g503.com/articles/jim-krombach.htm
Hope this helps a bit and doesn't cause any confusion.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 09:32 AM UTC
I just posted a group soldier shot around a jeep (army photographer's unit) in the gallery.

It's under Armor Reference WWII era United States Soldiers

I like the fact that the windshield is wrapped up. Haven't seen a kit done with that effect. Have you Gunnie?

Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 10:26 AM UTC
For the above I mentioned, it just dawned on me that perhaps you are building a state-side jeep.
Are you?
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 10:39 AM UTC
I base my observations on current vehicles also. When you see a desert tan truck or tank, the inside of the access panels, hoods and sometimes the hatches were left in the original color. I expect a WWII Jeep would have been painted in the color needed, be it gray, tan or Marine green, but they wouldn't have bothered to open the hood, paint the engine & engine compartment (time consuming, need to mask parts that shouldn't get painted) or paint the under carriage. Over spray would have hit some of the suspension and may have hit parts of the engine compartment though.

And as far as your .30 cal armed SP Jeep, go ahead & knock yourself out. Who says the Naval Base Defense personnel wouldn't have had armed Jeeps. Not all of them were busting drunks downtown.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just posted a group soldier shot around a jeep (army photographer's unit) in the gallery.

It's under Armor Reference WWII era United States Soldiers

I like the fact that the windshield is wrapped up. Haven't seen a kit done with that effect. Have you Gunnie?

Jim

Nope - haven't seen a kit with that effect. Closest is Tank Workshops resin Jeep Windshield. It comes cast with a canvas cover over it - pretty nice lookin'

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the help! I want to do a gray Jeep, so I think what I'll do is paint the exterior gray, the inside hood, engine and undercarriage OD, and then paint over the undercarriage with gray where it would have been accessible on a lift or blocks. I'll put on the .30 because I like the look, and -- who knows -- it could 'a happened!

BTW Guntruck, awesome Jeep on www.guntruck.com! I'll bookmark it as a reference; if mine turns out even half as good, I'll be more than satisfied.

p.s. With this post I made Private!

Thanks Neil - I'll be looking for your finished Jeep too - I'll use it as a reference for a future model

Gunnie
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 10:54 PM UTC
Kencelot wrote: state-side jeep…

Actually, what I'm trying to build is something from a non-combat area of the equatorial or south Pacific. For example, Hawaii or French Polynesia late in the war. What I'm finding is that green would have been a safer bet, but I have my heart set on gray. I'm leaning towards the green with gray over-paint scenario, since it is at least plausible and adds a little "story" to the model. The jeep will be fairly pristine, with little or no weathering, so anything else that adds interest to the paint job is a plus.

Sources point to FS-36176 for late-war jeeps, but this looks a little dark, so I think I'll lighten it up a little. What would the finish have been like? Matt like sprayed-on paint, or that goopy-glossy effect that battleship gray gets when it's been brushed on really heavy? I have a little extra time to decide, since I decided to order some photo-etch detailing before starting.

-Neil
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 11:11 PM UTC
I'd go with a semi-gloss gray since it's a non-combat area that may have more time to be spit & polish. Use a lighter gray for scale effect as well as some fading in the South Pacific sun. I think a gray Jeep would look cool.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi
I helped a friend to restore a Willy´s MB a few years ago and I can say that´s the engine block is medium grey indeed!
HTH
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:49 AM UTC
Thanks armouredsprue! All suggestions are appreciated and will be added to the decision mix right up to painting time.

This engine thing is getting so complicated maybe I should do a diorama showing an SP looking at an engine-less jeep and wondering who stole his engine!

-Neil
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:53 AM UTC
Now there's a dio that could be titled:

"Off Color"

Not only would the SP be scratching his head, but everyone who looks at the dio too! LOL

kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 04:46 AM UTC
While gathering info for my Gulf War Hummer, I got this reply....I figure if they did it this way these days.....they probably did it in days past. I asked if Hummers in the Gulf were sand inside and out, or sprayed over on arrival.

(insert snip)

All of the hummers in our group(USMC ) were softtops, and all were green
inside. Overspray all over the tires initially that slowly wore off. Also
note, many hummers never got painted sand but remained in Euro camo.No
tactilcal markings on ours either.
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 08:06 AM UTC
Thanks, I still haven't decided for sure so input is always welcome! All the photo-etch, resin, etc. won't be here until next week, and then I've got some buildup to do before I have to start painting. I guess I'll make a last minute decision.

-Neil
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 03:48 AM UTC
Finally! The last bits of photo-etch and resin have arrived and the WWII Navy PTO Jeep project can begin. This is my first military model super-detailing project ever; will it be a disaster or a new modeling horizon? Time will tell...

-Neil
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Finally! The last bits of photo-etch and resin have arrived and the WWII Navy PTO Jeep project can begin. This is my first military model super-detailing project ever; will it be a disaster or a new modeling horizon? Time will tell...

-Neil

Keep us updated on this one Neil. I wanted to do one of my Skybow WC trucks in overall grey - Pearl Harbor - so this will be a nice thread to follow...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP