_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Help with Vallejo Paints
RickB464
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I'm very frustrated right now with these paints! I can't seem to airbrush them without them clogging up my airbrush! I've them with Vallejo thinner AND their drying retarder. I've tried all pressures between 10 and 40 psi. I'm using a 60/40 ratio paint to thinner and still they clog up or worse spatter paint all over. Anybody got any words of wisdom? I think I'll go have a beer and wait for a reply

TIA,
Rick
Pete
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 05:29 PM UTC
Sounds like your mix is a bit on the thick side. Try a 70(Water-Thinner)/30(Paint) mix. I've been spraying with similar ratios for years and have not had problems with clogging. One thing to remember though, pull the needle out of the airbrush and wipe it off occasionally if your painting session goes on for more than 5 minutes. I find that wiping the needle clean once in a while helps. Another trick that I use when working with Vallejo's is to add a very small amount of Windsor Newton watercolor blending medium into the paint. It helps with paint flow and acts as a slow-dryer as well. You can pick this up at Art stores in the watercolor section. Hope this helps.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 10:07 PM UTC
Are you using regular Vallejo paints or their Model Air variety?

I'll hazard a guess you are using the normal Vallejo paints and they tend not to airbrush too well- one thing I use to thin them for painting and for various effects is Vallejo Glaze Medium- it works better than their thinner at giving the paints a thin viscosity and it might help you get them flowing better through your airbrush.

I would, if you aren't using them, recommend a switch to their Model Air range for airbrushing as you don't need to thin them- they are ready to airbrush straight from the bottle.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you using regular Vallejo paints or their Model Air variety?

I'll hazard a guess you are using the normal Vallejo paints and they tend not to airbrush too well- one thing I use to thin them for painting and for various effects is Vallejo Glaze Medium- it works better than their thinner at giving the paints a thin viscosity and it might help you get them flowing better through your airbrush.

I would, if you aren't using them, recommend a switch to their Model Air range for airbrushing as you don't need to thin them- they are ready to airbrush straight from the bottle.

I agree with Karl, but I still thin the Model AIR a little bit further as well.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 12:13 AM UTC
^ I've had similar experiences with Model Air paints. They greatly benefit from a little further thinning, and in some cases actually need it, as they sometimes don't atomize smoothly enough straight from the bottle.

Vallejo's own retarder seems to be good stuff in experience.

One thing that's worth trying for thinning is Lifecolor acrylic thinner. It not only works great with LC paints, but Vallejos as well.

This stuff:
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 09:57 AM UTC
I've stopped airbrushing Vallejo stuff. They don't work for me because of the same reasons the OP mentioned. Vallejo stuff even clogged a 0.5mm nozzle. I also find Vallejo paints not so durable.

Now I airbrush only Tamiya acrylics and AK primers. They never ever give me a problem even when I use my Iwata HP-B+ w/ a 0.2mm nozzle. With Tamiya and AK, no magic formula is needed. Thin them, shoot & enjoy the wonderful result.

Jedge3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 11:09 AM UTC
I paint with both Vallejo model color and model air with no issues. If you are using model color, what thinner are you using? I use the airbrush thinner to thin the model color about 50/50 or so. I have not tried the white looking thinner for airbrush use. I have also learned that I am horrible at mixing in the paint cup and mix all my paints in small cups first. Also I paint at about 20 psi or so but use a MAC valve to dial down the paint if needed.
Phael_minis
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:55 PM UTC
The white looking thinner is to reduce opacity.
The other one (looking like airbrush cleaner...)is to use with a thick paint I guess.
After some use of vallejo, I prefer good old alcohol based paints, they are so much easier to use...
ChemaCgVallejo
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 06:09 AM UTC
About vallejo products use:
I hope this can help you! I'm professional modeller and contributor in several mags, as well illustrator and graphic designer, a bit experienced with airbrush, tips and regular use.
You can find under Vallejo brand the Model Color range of acrylcs, ideal for paint using a brush, BUT, if you like the range tones, you can use it without problem thinning down it with Vallejo thinner or water, under a ratio of 50/50 of thinner and paint, workin' in dry athmosphere with an airbrush tip of 0,2 and a presure of 1.1/2 kg or 12-15 psi, and just under my experience and many other modellers, you must to work without any problem...You can use too the Model Air range, acrylics with a direct use on the airbrush cup without thinner, but, if this don't work for you (for many odd or arcane reasons...)you can thinn down it with a ratio of 1/3, a part of thinner for three parts of paint...I've used Acrylicos Vallejo for many years, professional modellers and artist too, firts I'd started with the hobby with Humbrol, but don't like the smell of Solvent in the morning! after this,Tamiya cames to my life, but many problems searching for ideal thinner because is not a true "acrylic", and finally Vallejo cames to the rescue with (for me) perfect results...They exist a lot of reasons to clog an AB, not allways the paint quality...Hope this can help and put some ligth!
Cheers
Chema Cabrero
Acrylicos Vallejo
Please, visit our Facebook page and you can find lots of tips and advice from modellers to modellers!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 08:44 AM UTC
I shoot Vallejo all the time. I shoot Modelair unthinned at 10 PSI and don't have a problem. If I am having drying problems I use Liquitex Slo-Dri and Liquitex Flow Aid to keep the paint moving. I also keep a Q-Tip in a cup of thinner when I shoot. Any time paint stops flowing, I swab the Q-tip in the nozzle cup and I'm spraying again.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

after this,Tamiya cames to my life, but many problems searching for ideal thinner because is not a true "acrylic",

I don't understand this. Tamiya acrylics can be easily thinned with Windex, alcohol or Tamiya's own thinner.
 _GOTOTOP