_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Dark Yellow
hkopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 04:20 AM UTC
I have a question in reference to VAllejo's model air "Dark Yellow" Panzer Ocre. I purchase d a bottle to apply to my Jadgtiger but noticed that it had quite a greenish tint. I was wondering if this hue is correct to use as a base coat for the cammo scheme. Or should I use Tamiya's Dark Yellow instead? Thanks in advance,

Hermann.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 05:26 AM UTC
I would use Tamiya Dark Yellow for German basecoat. You could however, mix some Vallejo paint's together to get close to the Dark yellow as possible. Not sure of a formula, someone probably has one on here I would imagine.
Vallejo 70978 is labelled Dark Yellow

Tamiya XF-60
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 05:48 AM UTC
The darker yellow was used from 1943 on. The color looks to match Model Master, which is the correct shade. Tamiya's dark yellow is good for vehicles from 1939 o 1942.
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi, so if darker yellow was used from 1943 on, why some brands offer a more clears colors, almost white or interior buff.
Also, for the greens, like "reseda green".

Model Master Dark Yellow looks too green for me.

Any light ?

TIA
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, so if darker yellow was used from 1943 on, why some brands offer a more clears colors, almost white or interior buff.
Also, for the greens, like "reseda green".

Model Master Dark Yellow looks too green for me.

Any light ?

TIA

Obviously they did not research as thoroughly as necessary as required.
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 06:45 AM UTC
I've used AK Dark yellows (also AMMO is similar) for my Tiger build and I like the shades. I have Tamiya and Vallejo Dunkelgelb also, though never liked them.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/218129&page=1

There's modulation sets, but also individual colors

Maybe you could mix some sand color with Vallejo Dark yellow.

And there's no exact color, IMHO

Cheers!

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 06:56 AM UTC
Matt

Seems today is my day for confusion!

Dunkelgelb RAL 7028 only came into service from 1943. While it did appear in several shades (and I favor that enamel done by ModelMaster), none should be considered appropriate for any German tank in 1939 - '42, or so I've been led to understand across many of these forums and in my researching of panzer colors.

There were, however, other similar colors (Gelbbraun, RAL 8000, Braun RAL 8020) in use from late 1941 on vehicles going to Africa for the DAK - and some such "tropen-colored" vehicles ended up in Italy and in southern Russia from 1942 (and possibly some of that paint, as well). But we shouldn't confuse these colors with "Dunkelgelb" RAL 7028.

Bob
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC
Vallejo sells two different shades of Dark Yellow, the ocre one is for later war, the correct one is 71.024 Dark Yellow.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt

Dunkelgelb RAL 7028 only came into service from 1943. While it did appear in several shades (and I favor that enamel done by ModelMaster), none should be considered appropriate for any German tank in 1939 - '42, or so I've been led to understand across many of these forums and in my researching of panzer colors.

There were, however, other similar colors (Gelbbraun, RAL 8000, Braun RAL 8020) in use from late 1941 on vehicles going to Africa for the DAK - and some such "tropen-colored" vehicles ended up in Italy and in southern Russia from 1942 (and possibly some of that paint, as well). But we shouldn't confuse these colors with "Dunkelgelb" RAL 7028.

Bob

I disagree with this. The panzergrau was overpainted in a dark yellow, upon arrival in North Africa. Obviously, it did no exist prior to that, I think 41-43.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:54 AM UTC
Well you may disagree but perhaps you could cite some sources when making an assertion that RAL7028 Dunkelgelb was used to overpaint the vehicles of 5. Leichte Division that arrived in Africa in 1941.

The first batch did indeed arrive in Dunkelgrau (Panzergrau is one of those made up names that we will probably never get rid of now) but they were repainted in theatre in RAL8000 and possibly RAL7008 grey-green, which later formed the Tropen scheme in which all equipment designated for Tropen use (some of which indeed ended up in southern parts of the Ostfront) was painted at the factory. So although it looks pretty, all the later stuff that was sent (such as the 7.62cm Selbsfahrlafette on the Pz 38t hull) was painted RAL8000/7008 over primer and never carried Dunkelgrau to wear through it. See Panzer Tracts for confirmation.

Denkelgelb was introduced in February 1943 and until then, the overall Dunkelgrau (from mid-1940) and Tropen schemes were the two in use. Dunkelgelb samples I have seen based on untouched originals (it darkens with handling) are actually not very yellow or very green and reminded me of mushroom soup. Tamiya does a colour (Buff?) which I think is a better match than the one it calls Dark Yellow. Just my opinion, of course, so worth what anyone thinks it is.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Matt

Bob

I disagree with this. The panzergrau was overpainted in a dark yellow, upon arrival in North Africa. Obviously, it did no exist prior to that, I think 41-43.

Unfortunately I have packed the bible on German colours, but the initial vehicles sent to Africa were Dunkelgrau, and they were overspray with a yellow/brown color. At the same time Dunkelgelb was under development. Some vehicles that were factory painted for Africa in Gelbbraun did end up in Russia as needed.

The actual use of Dunkelgelb started in 42/43 as Dunkelgelb was used to better match color in the Steppes. Also it should be known that the shade of Dunkelgelb was based on the factory where the vehicle was painted.

As for Olivegrun and braum used in camouflage, there is many shades for this as the paint was provided to front line unit as a paste and was to mixed with gasoline for applying. Based on shortages in gasoline, the mixture varied as well as what it was mixrd with, thus the variation in shades.

fireontheway
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 368 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:53 AM UTC
Well heres my 2 cents worth. Use what you think looks best. If anyone gigs my model because they think it doesnt look like "dunkelgelb 41' or 43'" or whatever, thats their issue and I hope they lose sleep over it. With that being said I do know for a fact Tamiya Dark Yellow out of a rattle can is not the same as out of a bottle. My flak berge panther wheels are done by rattle can and they are much lighter than my hull and sideskirts airbrushed from the bottle which is a more olive in color. Who knew? Certainly not me. Both were filtered afterwards using Mig filter for Dark Yellow and there is still a difference. I hope pigments will tone the hull down, oh well live and learn
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a question in reference to VAllejo's model air "Dark Yellow" Panzer Ocre. I purchase d a bottle to apply to my Jadgtiger but noticed that it had quite a greenish tint. I was wondering if this hue is correct to use as a base coat for the cammo scheme. Or should I use Tamiya's Dark Yellow instead? Thanks in advance,

Hermann.

I was also surprised at how greenish the Dark Yellow looked the first time I tried it.

I like to mix my Vallejo Panzer Dark Yellow with Hemp (the color...) to lighten it up, and sometimes some light tan for desert vehicles. I'm not too militant about matching the shade perfectly since fading from the sun and elements would have been both normal and widely varied.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well heres my 2 cents worth. Use what you think looks best. If anyone gigs my model because they think it doesnt look like "dunkelgelb 41' or 43'" or whatever, thats their issue and I hope they lose sleep over it. With that being said I do know for a fact Tamiya Dark Yellow out of a rattle can is not the same as out of a bottle. My flak berge panther wheels are done by rattle can and they are much lighter than my hull and sideskirts airbrushed from the bottle which is a more olive in color. Who knew? Certainly not me. Both were filtered afterwards using Mig filter for Dark Yellow and there is still a difference. I hope pigments will tone the hull down, oh well live and learn

And, I thought we were going for accuracy. They were not painted yellow at the factory. They were repainted upon arrival in north Africa.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And, I thought we were going for accuracy. They were not painted yellow at the factory. They were repainted upon arrival in north Africa.

Matt

Not all units were painted in the field in Africa, after the initial deployment vehicles where pre-painted Gelbbraun prior to being shipped to Africa.

Kevin
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Matt

Not all units were painted in the field in Africa, after the initial deployment vehicles where pre-painted Gelbbraun prior to being shipped to Africa.

Kevin

So what year are you looking for?
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Matt

Kevin

So what year are you looking for?

When I get my book back out of storage, I will give you exact dates, how does that sound? Also as previous stated, when there was a more precedent requirement on the Eastern Front, some of the Gelbbraun vehicles where shipped there instead. And this occurred prior to Dunkelgelb being used.

Homer0331
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:30 PM UTC
The first vehicles shipped to Africa were dark gray. They were over painted after about three weeks. There was an initial shortage of RAL 8000 so some received a locally procured sand color paint. The majority of the vehicles after the initial shipment were factory painted prior to delivery.

The first tropen scheme was RAL 8000/RAL 7008. It was in use from roughly March 1941 to April 1942. After that the official tropen scheme was RAL 8020/RAL 7027. It lasted from April 1942 to the end in April 1943. This also coincided with the change to dark yellow RAL 7028.

It was postulated in some circles that the final shipment of Panzer IV G's were RAL 7028. I believe this is no longer accepted as production dates of that series of Gmodels do not support the theory.

Tropen IVG's and IIIL's did make it to Russia after the fall in Africa.

Who ever mentioned Tamiya Buff as a better match is pretty much right on with what we see in original equipment.

Accuracy is nice, but really, once we paint, decal, filter and weather, what does it matter? The real vehicles were painted and used and destroyed within months if not days.

The model is a snapshot, if you will, of the real vehicle at a certain point in time. Who's to say the model is accurate? Were we there? Do we have proof beyond a doubt?

This debate itself is proof we know less than we think.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Accuracy is nice, but really, once we paint, decal, filter and weather, what does it matter? The real vehicles were painted and used and destroyed within months if not days.

The model is a snapshot, if you will, of the real vehicle at a certain point in time. Who's to say the model is accurate? Were we there? Do we have proof beyond a doubt?

This debate itself is proof we know less than we think.

I like your perspective, Ian. Couldn't agree more.

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hermann, There are a number of threads concerning this on this site. Here's one that has a number of different mix's that you can try.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/191338
 _GOTOTOP