_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
washes pigments bunching up
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 07:47 PM UTC
Im working on painting a Kv-2 currently and im trying to do a white wash using reaves oil paints I bought from michaels and Klean strip odorless mineral spirits, and whenever I try to use a wash the pigments in the paint group up and it ends up looking blotchy, if anyone has any advice on how to prevent this it would be appreciated
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im working on painting a Kv-2 currently and im trying to do a white wash using reaves oil paints I bought from michaels and Klean strip odorless mineral spirits, and whenever I try to use a wash the pigments in the paint group up and it ends up looking blotchy, if anyone has any advice on how to prevent this it would be appreciated

I'm not familiar with Reaves oil paints or the klean strip mineral spirits. But from your description, I'd say that the paint is not compatible with what you're using for thinner. According to what I read online about Reeves, they're oil paints that you thin with water. That might be the problem.

I use Winsor and Newton oils thinned with Mona Lisa Odorless Thinner - both available at Michaels. I've never had an issue like what you've described using that combination.

Steve
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi Jonas- just wondering if you happend to give the model a coat of matt varnish prior to adding these oils? I did that once by mistake and the matt coat made the oil paints bunch up and not spread nice and evenly- sounds a bit like what you have going on. Its best to apply a glossy coat (satin/gloss varnish or Future etc) before using oils as it helps them to flow better.
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 08:33 PM UTC
I used a satin coat of varnish on my model, and im gonna have to double check and make sure you dont thin the oils with water, if i remember correctly i've used these paints as washes before with the same thinner with no problem
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 09:32 PM UTC
Oil paint can only be used as a light wash to enhance rivet weld and recessed panel lines etc, if your using oils as a white wash
the best result would be to represent it worn away just use a wide brush moistened with white spirit to drag off most of the oil paint.
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 12:44 PM UTC
I was using the oil paint as a wash, I painted on and chipped white acrylic paints and then used the oils as a wash over the exposed under paint to make it look like the whitewash was washing off
 _GOTOTOP