_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Spare wheel on Buffalo w/slat armour
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC
Is it wrong to put the spare wheel on the roof over the last crew hatches on a Buffalo mpcv w/slat armour? Or have they take away the spare wheel when they put the slat armour on to the buffalo?
The reason i ask is that i have not seen any photo yet with the spare wheel on the roof , i have only seen some models like that .
So is it not so common that you have a spare wheel with you now after they started to use the slat armour?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 05:22 AM UTC
The spare is no longer carried when the slat armor (actually bar armor) is added. The tires are too heavy to manhandle on and off the roof. When mounted on the hull sides, there are built in hand-crank winches for lowering and raising the spare onto the sides.
ruzzaa
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 08:47 AM UTC
Gino is correct,but sometimes it does happen.

Net Photos (US Mil)
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 09:10 AM UTC
I saw both Buffalos and Cougars in Iraq with tires on the roof. A crewman for the Cougar said they didn't like mounting the tires on the side becuase they caught fire more easily there when hit. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but they did indeed mount them on the rooftops.The arm is used on the Bufflao to get them up there. Easy cheesy. Since photos of the Buffalo have been posted, here's the Cougar:

rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 09:28 AM UTC
Thanks for the answers, then i can have it on the roof...without that it is wrong...
 _GOTOTOP