Hosted by Darren Baker
questions about Landscaping materials
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 09:13 AM UTC
I have been doing small dioramas for some time now and have been using woodland scenic products.They are ok for now, but I would like to know who makes the best scenic products for dioramas large and small? I would like to change to a better brand,so If anyone can post a list of companies on the subject and also give the pros and cons about each of them that would be great. Thank you
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hey Jody. first of all, there is no one best for anything we do as dio/vign builders. I myself use a variety of products from many companies. The so called trick is to find which product works best for you for a certain situation. I use woodland scenic products for long and tufts of grass. The shape, size and colors blends well for my needs. I also use Scene Master paper products, such as for lily pads and some flowers. Also available are Busch model R/R soft plastic flowers and vegtables. They are sold for H.O.scale R/R builders but most fit more to 1/35th scale ground work. Danndelions,daisies and black eyed suzzies, mushrooms and ferns for instance. The pumpkin plants are questionable as is, I don't use the pumpkin itself but if you take the vine and twist the leaves sideways and curl it, it makes for a good bushy plant after grouping several together. Same with the grape vines. I use only the green leaves which I cut apart into small sections and use them for a green leafy growth between rock out crops. Then there are you naturals. Take Queen Anns Lace and with very small sissors, cut the white flower apart and soak in glyceren. Paint and plant.Many small weed seeds can be used for tree leaves when dried right, sealed and painted. Of course you must add one at a time but they are fantastic. Tree roots are ideal for 1/35th scale trees and so on. There are many companies that offer pre built trees but the best ones are scratch built. True, it takes along time for me to fill out a tree, but they look real. Trees that are made out of lichen and or filters pulled apart and sprinkled with spices look like spice trees. I haven't found a spice tree in my refferance book yet. With trees, you get out of it what you put into them. I have even cut apart fake flowers to creat my own leaves, though you can buy them with stems attatched to them. And there are many companies that produce paper plants. Also M.R.C. has a few sets of bushy plants that will work in a jungle scene. No end to company produced stuff. So it all boils down to what ever works for you and as the builder, what you are happy with. Nesesity is the mother of all invention.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 07:07 PM UTC

Fully agree with Bob! I would never "stick to one brand".

Keep looking everywhere for things that best suit your needs!

Time invested in checking product lines and eyes open wide whenever you are out in Mother Nature will sharpen your senses.

Cheers

Romain

_GOTOTOP