_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter T-80BVD MBT is coming
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 10:19 AM UTC
Now on pre-order at hobbyeasy site :

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/cajhzkrvc1nh0w9ok7x4.html

Caesar9
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 05:57 PM UTC
Thanks for the heads up. I'm interested in seeing a kit review.
Firecaptain
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 10:23 AM UTC
Are there visible differences between the "D" BV vs BVD
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 11:33 AM UTC
their is a difference in the engine deck the BV had a gas turbine engine installed. The BVD was a prototype that I believe lead to the diesel powered UD. The BVD had a newer arranged engine almost similar to the UD. Also the fuel drums moved from the back edge almost in line with the fenders on he BV to the top of the engine deck on the BVD.

T-80BV

T-80BVD

T-80UD
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 04:10 PM UTC
T-80BVD: Ukraine had a fair number of T-80BV after the breakup of the Soviet Union. Ukraine also had a VERY strained relationship with Russia over military equipment, contract, and parts supplies. So Ukraine was either going to have to make replacement parts on their own for the T-80BV, scrap them, or upgrade them. Kharkov (the tank production plant in Ukraine) hated the gas-guzzling turbine engines and had ALWAYS pushed for diesel engines in the T-80 series (remember the T-80UD). So they decided to upgrade the T-80BV's with the diesel engine they were putting in their own T-64 upgrades. The T-80BVD also received the Remotely Operated Commanders Weapons Station. Other upgrades (mostly internal or optics) were up to the buyer. To my best knowledge, none have been sold. Also, I do not know how many were modified.

I also have this from Dirk Caemerlynck from back in 2008: "In 2002, Ukraine started to refit its T-80BV's with diesel engine 6TD-1 (T-80BVD). This version also has the RCWS of the T-80UD. These modifications make it look very much like an "early T-80UD" but it retains the Kobra system. Also, whereas the T-80BV/BVD have smoke grenade launchers either side of the turret, the early T-80UD and Ob.219A (with K-1) have them only on the left side."
 _GOTOTOP