_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British Charioteer Tank help please
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 09:47 AM UTC
Does anyone have any info on the British Charioteer tank? It was a 1950's conversion based on the Cromwell Tank Accurate Armour has a conversion for it here's a link

http://www.accurate-armour.com/aaproducts.cfm?CFID=712427&CFTOKEN=35313897&navlevel=1
I am curious as to what type of tracks were used and to see if any markings are available Thanks #:-) (++)
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
hey general zod,

the charioteer was a tank destroyer, not a tank
im not sure about exact units, but they were used by the royal armoured corps,
prior to the 1950's AT guns, both towed and self propelled were mainly used by the royal artillery,

they also rode on 15.5' 'wide' tracks, the normal narrow cromwell ones were not used

merry chistmas

joe
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 02:58 PM UTC
I personally do not know too much about the tank, err TD, but I do know a good link to the building of AA's conversion kit MilitaryModelling.com
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 03:11 PM UTC
Joe,thanks for the correction and help When I think of a TD usually I think SP mount or open top turret Kencelot thanks for the link I just wish it was indy links for that kit I'm not to sure if I want to deal with those resin track lenghts I did check around to see if any 15.5 inch indy links are available Sadly no
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC
The charioteer was initially issued to the RAC but eventually past on to the RA. It was a cheap and effective way of upgrading the old cromwell hull. It was to be used againt the new generation of soviet armour. It was eventually passed on to the TA. Also the jordanians used it. So may well have been used against the Isreali's.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:41 AM UTC
The prototype vehicle ran on the original Cromwell tracks, but the ground pressure was too high and they were changed. I didn't like AAs tracks either, so modelled the prototype.
Source ' Encyclopedia of British & American tanks of WW2'.

_GOTOTOP