_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Proper paint for British WWII uniforms?
Runner91
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 12:18 AM UTC
Hello All!
Having a devil of a time getting the right shade for British desert and European theater uniforms. Any suggestions? I've tried Tamiya acrylic tan with Revell dark yellow highlights for the desert uniforms, seems to be close, but just a bit off. Using Citadel acrylics for European theater uniforms, but none seem to match my references. Any help is appreciated!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi,

I don't know about proper paint, but Valejjo do two colours that should get you going in the wright direction, at least for NWE.

70921 English Uniform
317 British Tank crew

I've used English Uniform for a while now, it's close to the real think but 317 might be closer, I just haven't switched yet. I tend to add khaki to the English uniform for a slightly lighter colour.

For the desert I use Tamiya buff and again I mix and match as I go so I can't really tell you a proper formula.

Uniform colour varied depending on where it was made. Canadian battle Dress is a little greener than British Battle dress and all cloths fade with washing so I can;t say for sure what a 'proper colour' is. A lot depends on how new the uniform is and what ground the soldier is fighting in because dust sweat and grease all help change things.

Cheers

Al
Runner91
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 10:26 AM UTC
Thanks Al! I haven't taken the Vallejo plunge but several have recommended these paints. So think I'll take your advice and get these shades. Agree with you on the situation in theater altered the original color, but I did want to start off as accurately as I could prior to detailing. Cheers! Bob
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 10:29 AM UTC
Hi,

With Vallejo I'd undercoat with Tamiya Flat earth first. Vallejo make excellent paint but it's gripping qualities are much better over an undercoat.

Good luck.

Al
 _GOTOTOP