_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M113A2 TOW drawings sought
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 09:59 PM UTC
Now that I have just about finished my M113 TUA, I would like to do an earlier version. Does anyone have any drawings or excerpts from tech manuals they would be willing to scan and forward?. I believe there was a kit of this at one time so if anyone knows of this I would appreciate any information.
Just to clarify, I understand that theTOW mounting kit included some sort of mount that fitted into the crew hatch at the rear and a low profile mount for the .50 cal.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 10:48 PM UTC
I've got the ADV Azimut kit Looks decent. There are some pics of a IDF tow at The IDFarmour website. When I was researching this vehicle there are hardly any interior pics or detail on the web. The Bucket site has some Danish Vehicles. all seem to have a .50 cal on a mount that canfold down to the right. I believe there is at least one more company that does an early tow(Hobbyfan comes to mind). Let Me see What I've got and I'll get back to you.
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 10:59 PM UTC
Roger, thanks for that. I have the bucket site on my favouraites. He even has a few of my photos of the Cdn TUA. Is the ADV Azimut kit stillavailable? Interior views are always the challenge.
CARFACE
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hello,
Check your PM's. I am confused as to which vehicle you're refering to.The M113 TUA (TOW Under Armor) is, I think, the early "Hammerhead" with the enclosed,two-tube launcher turret,with self contained sighting-tracking optics and electronics. The vehicle with the droppable .50 M2 mount and the cargo hatch TOW mount was a base-model M113 with the alterations being performed at the Regimental level.
The .50 mount contained a swivel-lock and when in the "up" postion, the weapon was at the standard height. The TC pulled a D-ring and the .50 would lay down, on it's side, on the deck. The TOW mount was hidden in the cargo compartment, and was raised manually on a slide pole rack, into a locking position behind the commanders cupola, and there was a folding platform ( alumonum tread-plate) which was raised and locked into the back of the commanders seat support. The TOW Mount used the same launch controls, tube and optics as the ground mounted tripod.
I was a crew-member of the earlier version above, way back in 1980, in the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment at Ft.Bliss, Texas.( 3 miles from water, 6feet from Hell!)
I hope this helps some
Chuck
ps, I have a TM for the M901 ITV, Check your Private Messages.
CARFACE
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 11:26 PM UTC
Hi again,
After reading your original post more carefully, my last post seems kinda silly, huh?
But I would like to add that, being an "add-on kit" , a complete vehicle TM may not exist. Maybe yes, maybe no. But I have seen a "Unit-Level Maintenance" installation and troubleshooting manual for the whole kit.
Chuck
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:16 AM UTC
Chuck,
Thanks for that. I do the same thing from time to time. However, your info is helpful. By the way the Canadian Army has a different TUA than the US Army Hammerhead. Ours is a Norwegian Turret so the vehicle is somewhat unique. Se my website if your interested in the difference.
Cheers
Paul
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:34 AM UTC
FYI, I have a couple of the ITV turret trainers at my site. They haven't been touched in years though. There's also an M901 ITV that probably hasn't moved since it arrived. We got out of the 63T business a little while ago.
CARFACE
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC
Hello once more,
It should be fairly simple to convert any early M113 to the TOW carrier version. You'll need ,I think, the cupola from the Academy M113A2 Weapons carrier for the drop-mount .50.
I'm trying to work-up a set of drawings ( with MS Paint... it's all i've got right now) of the TOW mount and crew platform. I'll send e-mail them to you as soon as I have them ready. Like I said, it's really a very simple conversion with very little scratchbuilding.
Chuck
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC
Chuck,
Much appreciated. I can give you a set of drawings of our TUA if you are interested.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's also an M901 ITV that probably hasn't moved since it arrived. We got out of the 63T business a little while ago.

Wish I could buy that off ya! LOL!
Ahh the good old days of the Scout Platoon!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
I was trying to pawn it off on the National Guard Regional Maintenance Site at Ft. Dix last year.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:54 AM UTC
They must have some space after dumping most of the old TO&E off the shore to make reefs!
Actually was up in the old stomping grounds this weekend...the West Orange and Newton Armories have their old A3s on display...tears in my eyes, sniff, sniff...
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 05:04 AM UTC
OK fellas I think the vehicle we're talking about is the XM223E1. I posted the relavant Pages from a TM on tow that I had lying around. The first 4 pics are really large so even when scrolling It goes slow. The last 2 pics are from a fellow in Canada, I got the pics so long ago I forgot who it was. Plase excuse the the layout I'm still new at this web site business.

OH Yeah here's the address just find the special info request and press the appropiate button

www.homestead.com/shiryon/index.html #:-) #:-)
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 09:39 AM UTC
Thank you very much for this most excellent collection of data! Anything I can do for you please do not hesitate to ask! By the way is the Centurian ARV a Base Borden vehicle?
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 11:25 AM UTC
Yeah it's a Borden vehicle, Iwas there on vacation two years ago Took lots of pics including some walk arounds(centurion ARV, Sherman flail Mk 2 ) I plan on getting back and going to Shilo CFB as well. I'll leave the pics up for a while so others can download them as well.
 _GOTOTOP