Hosted by Darren Baker
Must Have Nam Models
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 04:38 PM UTC
Ok, I need some buying advice. I got some money for Christmas to spend on gifts ($75) and I want to get a Vietnam model, or two. I don't want to spend all of it on models if I can since I got other stuff I want to spend it on, but that's my limit. Ok, here's what I'm thinking on getting, but if you had to get one, which one would you buy.

AFV Club LVTP-5A-1 'Battlefield Bus'
AFV Club M35A1 Vietnam Gun Truck
AFV Club M88 Recovery Vehicle
AFV Club M41A3 Walker Bulldog (South Vietnam decals)
Academy UH-1C Huey 'Frog'
Academy UH-1C Huey 'Heavy Hog'
Italeri M-107 SP Howitzer
Something I don't have here
Or should I save my money for some of the new AFV Vietnam models like the M42 Duster?

I'd like to get some of the rarer stuff that's not going to be around much longer before they become impossible to find. Also, if anyone knows where a good sale is going on for some of these online, please let me know. BTW, I already have the Tamiya Patton and PBR, the Academy M113, and Dragon Mechanical Mule. I’ll take any opinions, or ideas.
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 05:00 PM UTC
How about...

The Monogram M29 Weasel amphib? The Italeri M24 Chafee? An M5 Stuart or M8 HMC from Tamiya? The new M36 Jackson from Academy? An LVT 4 or A4? An M4A1/75 with applique armor? M8 Greyhound? M3 halftrack or White Scout Car?

I've read where leftover Japanese armor was seen as well, and there is of course, the legendary Pink Panther tank the French brought into SEA where it broke down in the jungle...
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 05:14 PM UTC
Here is one that I am building right now, the Academy M151A1 Jeep with 106 mm recoiless rifle. A dandy little kit !
That M35A1 Gun truck would be a great build to.
Now if somone would make a good Sheridan, that would be my first choice!
What ever you choose, enjoy !

Garry
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, I need some buying advice. I got some money for Christmas to spend on gifts ($75) and I want to get a Vietnam model, or two. I don't want to spend all of it on models if I can since I got other stuff I want to spend it on, but that's my limit. Ok, here's what I'm thinking on getting, but if you had to get one, which one would you buy.

AFV Club LVTP-5A-1 'Battlefield Bus'
AFV Club M35A1 Vietnam Gun Truck
AFV Club M88 Recovery Vehicle
AFV Club M41A3 Walker Bulldog (South Vietnam decals)
Academy UH-1C Huey 'Frog'
Academy UH-1C Huey 'Heavy Hog'
Italeri M-107 SP Howitzer
Something I don't have here
Or should I save my money for some of the new AFV Vietnam models like the M42 Duster?

I'd like to get some of the rarer stuff that's not going to be around much longer before they become impossible to find. Also, if anyone knows where a good sale is going on for some of these online, please let me know. BTW, I already have the Tamiya Patton and PBR, the Academy M113, and Dragon Mechanical Mule. I’ll take any opinions, or ideas.

They are all good Choices you have their the last one is Great .
Well I have 3 of what is on your list and all great models.
The duster won't be out for a while so you can allways snap that up next year!! (:-)
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2003 - 12:34 AM UTC
There is an Academy 'new tooled' M551 due out this year, nut the jury is still out over which version is in the box. Either way, have faith, since Academy gets lots of use out of molds releasing variants.
But that might be a use for x-mas $$ for '04

Mike
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2003 - 01:31 AM UTC
get the choppers, tanks and trucks are boring... #:-)

throw in 20 or so more, if I were you, and get the 32nd F105D or G, now that's an eye catcher...

Plane Rules!!!!! #:-)

I can't believe I said that..
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2003 - 02:53 AM UTC
I'd also suggest one of the new Academy M151A1 Jeeps. They make the standard Jeep and the recoilless rifle variant (I have this one). Nice kits that are cheap in case you have to round our your total.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 08:55 AM UTC
I'ld recommend that AFV M-88. I'm building it now and I think it looks stupedous.
 _GOTOTOP