_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Advice please!! :)
SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 10:59 PM UTC
So I started trying my hand at painting some figures, this is how I've got on. If anyone has any tips or pointers that I could use please let me know as I'm all ears

This is my little collection I've been working on for the last few weeks, so please, any pointers please. Thanks!!!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 11:41 PM UTC
Not bad at all, particularly like the camo pattern on the SS trooper. One suggestion that I would make is to vary the shading on the uniforms. The shadows on the Brits wearing shorts are too deep in some places. The way sunlight would hit them and the depth of the fold wouldn't create a shadow that dark. The shadows present on Khaki shorts wouldn't be as deep as in the folds around the boot tops of the Germans' uniforms which are more pronounced. One other thing, it's important to get the eyes right, spaced evenly and not have too much white showing, yours look pretty good. Except for the British officer, his eyes look a little mismatched in size. The detail work on the buckles and such is very neatly done. A very good first effort overall. I look forward to seeing more. Al
RAM-G
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 12:06 AM UTC
some tutorials:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.de/2009/10/tutorial-overview.html#
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 02:51 AM UTC

I'd join Al's comments! He has some very good points and advice.
I would add that the colour of the uniform (brit) is too dark.

And above all....get rid of the sheen as it ruins everything!

Regarding the eyes, I can only suggest you look at people in the right "distance". You will have troubles seeing any "white" at all! As a general rule, narrow the eyes in, don't go for a "roundish" look. As Shep Paine said: "soldiers outside tend to squint a lot"..!!

You are definitely on the right track!

Looking forward to seeing more!!!

Cheers

Romain

SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 06:29 AM UTC
Brilliant advice all, I'll start putting all these tips into use and get back to you. However I'll add them to the other forum of the same content, for some reason it made it twice. But stand by for updates. Thank you all though, means a lot!!
 _GOTOTOP