_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Advice please!! :)
SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 10:59 PM UTC
So I started trying my hand at painting some figures, this is how I've got on. If anyone has any tips or pointers that I could use please let me know as I'm all ears

This is my little collection I've been working on for the last few weeks, so please, any pointers please. Thanks!!!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 01:33 AM UTC
It's easier to work with better figures than those Brits. I did two sets last year as a commission job and they are terrible.

Eyes...the hardest thing to get right.

What I do is paint the face the base color, Vallejo Beige Red for most Caucasians. The lay in a line of Pale Flesh for the sclera. The iris is put in with blue, green or brown. My preferred brushed are #1 or #2 Kolinsky sable by Dick Blick. I try to have the iris aimed left or right depending on the figure's pose. Straight ahead is more difficult to get right.

I test the alignment by looking at the face in a mirror. I don't know why it works, but it does. The redo the sclera and iris as needed. I then shape the eye with the base color and proceed with shadows and highlights.

On the clothes, add more transition colors between your shadows and the base. You can do this by mixing he base with the shadow and stipling the transition line.

You can increase the definition of the face the same way.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 02:25 AM UTC
Al,
I'm relatively new to figure painting as well. I was wondering: Do you varnish as a final step and if so, what do you use -- matte or semi-gloss? I ask this because shiny figures just don't do it for me. But maybe there is some valid reason for using semi-gloss. However, I could actually see using gloss on the bare-chested figure's back and neck if one wanted to simulate sweat.

--mike
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 05:35 AM UTC
I airbrush Testor's Dullcote as a final step on everything. I'd then add a bit of Micromark semi gloss for dress uniform leathers, but not ones in the field or on campaign. The semi gloss would work to simulate sweat, though I haven't needed to do that. In 1/35, it might be overkill. WOrst case, try it, if it looks overdone, another shot of Dullcote can fix it right quick.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 07:53 AM UTC
Al,
Thanks for the varnishing advice.

Si, I meant to compliment you on a fine start. The cammo looks great! listen to the guys on 'Armorama' ( ) and they'll put you on the right path.

--mike
SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 06:23 AM UTC
Brilliant advice Al, I'll give it a go and post my results. But thank you Al, and cheers Michael!!
 _GOTOTOP