_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Gama Goat Conversion sets
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 06:05 PM UTC
A review of the three recent conversion sets released by Perfect Scale Modellbau for the Tamiya Gama Goat.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 09:53 AM UTC
I like the decal sheet.By changing the letter to "C" instead of HQ,I would be able to build the Goat C Co.1/37 had. C-7
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 07:47 PM UTC
Hi there,
I got the canvas cover set and I am disappointed.
First the contour of the cargo canvas is not correct. I could be mistaken from photos, but the front bow is going down straight and not curved as displayed. also, the thickness of the canvas cover is with about 2,5 mm (0.10 inch) way to thick.
Second problem is the engine cover. The kit despicts the late engine cover made of pressed steel(the Tamiya kit has the early style aluminium cover). While the shape of the cover is good it is just 2,5 mm (0.10 inch) to short. Problem was that PSM`s resin Goat has serveral dimensional problems and these problems are simply carried over to the replacement parts.
Sad but true.
H.-H.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 08:46 PM UTC
Well, having been burnt a few times, I'm now being extra-careful before committing money to purchase. Thorough study of their photos point out some problems, to me the rear canvas cover doesn't look good at all, let alone accurate.

I'm a mediocre scratchbuilder but when I'm buying resin I want top shelf stuff (think Legend, Adler Model and a few others) not something that doesn't fit or has obvious flaws such as the geometry on the rear of that shelter, nothing appears to be square...

Not generalizing on PSM products they have some excellent stuff in their range but maybe different master builders?

Cheers,

Christophe

Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 01:49 AM UTC
Here we go again. I get so tired of people criticizing model kits. Heaven know no model company will ever produce an exact miniature replica of a vehicle in 1/35th scale. What most people fail to realize or accept is that if modeled to exactness, there is a lot of detail that would not even show up on a 1/35 model. Many time companies model detail over-sized or slightly inaccurate just so modelers will have the detail they think would be on the model.

Yes the PSM kits are not completely accurate and I admit it would be nice if the rear canvas cover was not molded as thick as it is, but at least PSM has given us something to work with. The alternative would be to scratch build it yourself with plastic rod and tissue paper. While I'm sure I could accomplish that, not all modelers have the same skill levels or patience.

Rather than criticize, why don't we thank companies for their efforts? If you still feel the need to point out problems or inaccuracies, then at least offer a solution or describe how you fixed the problem so that other modelers can profit from your experience. Then, others can decide if they want to accept the kit with it's problems, build the kit with your described solutions, or pass on the kit altogether.

Just remember, that companies are in the business of making money. If we continue to constantly criticize their products, what is their incentive to continue producing kits, that they know they won't sell, because someone criticized it and because of that, others won't buy the kits.

Okay, time to fall off my soapbox. Just my opinion, and we all know how personal opinions rate.

If I stepped on anyone's toes, I'm sorry.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC
No worries, in our countries thankfully people are free to express themselves one way or the other.

You're free to like, I'm free to dislike and express my opinion which is just that : an opinion, nothing more nothing less...

Cheers,

Christophe
zapper
Visit this Community
Skċne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 11:29 PM UTC
LOL

Here we go again...

This is a review of a kit, not and payed for ad. It is supossed to tell consumers what they get. In this thread you get the information, both of what's in the box, as well as how it compare to the real thing (thanks Hans-Hermann).

If a producer doesn't produce a product that meet the standards of the buyer, and therefore doesn't sell any products, it's the producers problem. That's how it works, at least in market economies.

I buy a lot of stuf from many producers. I'm also prepared to pay high prices fro that. But I don't just pay for resin parts (or photo etch or whatever), I also pay for research. Add to that, as a minimum, I pay for quality and 'buildability'. The later meaning that if I get a resin part that is 2mm to small in comperasion to were it's suposed to fit, the part doesn't meet my lowest standard.

Again, the above information give informatin for both rivet counters and builders that go for the close enough look (I'm both of them, depending of project, so no judgement there). What can be wrong with that?

Sorry, I don't buy the bend over for the producers perspective', and I don't buy the 'why count rivets - it's all just a hobby'. Some of us are intersested in accuracy when it comes to this set, others may not. A good modeling site/review will provide information for both!

Cheers,
/E

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 01:07 AM UTC
Hint, hint:

They should make those turnbuckels available seperately - many uses!

Very nice!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 03:17 AM UTC
Very good review, Rick, thanks for doing this. The spirited discussion is good, as small companies like PSM try their best to provide us with products that fill voids left by the big manufacturers like Tamiya, who haven't provided an accurate or to-scale tarp for any kit of theirs I've ever seen.
 _GOTOTOP