_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Traveling with Vallejo paints in a checked bag
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 12:05 AM UTC
I may have to check my bag at the airport today. I'm not sure yet I'm trying to avoid it, but I may end up not having a choice.

I have some Vallejo pains in my bag. Is there any concern with checking them? I worry that the cold at altitude may cause damage to the paints themselves.

Should I be concerned?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 12:38 AM UTC
I'd be more concerned about spillage and leakage than cold. If you haven't already done so, my suggestion would be to put each bottle in a separate Zip-loc baggie and then put all of those into another, larger Zip-loc bag. Hope that the TSA bag-checker doesn't loosen all the tops while inspecting your checked bag and repacks the bottles like you had them.

If you don't check you bag, you might get some problems with TSA screening the paints in your carry-on. Those guys are so freakin' hit-or-miss you can never predict how the screeners at one airport at any given time might react to what you have, especially if it's something slightly unusual - like numerous bottles of non-toxic model paints.

Putting the paints in the checked bag is probably better than trying to get them through the screening line in a carry-on.

If you're traveling in the continental US, next time consider sending your paints by UPS or FEDEX addressed to yourself at the hotel you'll be staying in. When you get ready to return, box 'em back up and ship them back home by the same carrier.

Safe travels!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 12:43 AM UTC
As far as carry on's go, TSA tried to take away a soldier's MoH claiming it was a ninja throwing star. I doubt you will have much problem checking your bag. As Mike said, pack them carefully. I would also recommend taking a photo of your packed bag, just in case. Baggage handlers are notoriously brutal.
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the input, guys. I still need to get feedback about the cold and the potential for spoilage.

I've been traveling with a mobile paint kit for work trips a lot lately and so far, no pushback from TSA on paints.

http://build.theworldwithme.com/my-mobile-paint-studio/

But I am faced with having to gate check and curious whether to bother pulling paint to keep in relatively warm cabin.
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 04:30 AM UTC
I travel frequently for work, and I usually pack a model. I don't bring paint, but I have liquid cement and super glue in my checked bag. I put them in separate ziplock bags and put them inside my workboots in the suitcase. I've never had a problem with TSA because of it. I had the liquid cement open up once, but the bag saved it from going all over the place. I don't think the cold will have much effect on the paints, they'll be kind of insulated in your bag presumably surrounded by clothes. I guess that might depend on the length of the flight, though.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 04:51 AM UTC
From the flight deck, this is your captain speaking:

Many are surprised to hear that the cargo hold in the belly of an airliner is pressurized. Conditioned air is directed from the cabin, so the air tends to be a little cooler by the time it reaches the cargo areas, which are also less insulated than the cabin. Cargo temperatures vary per fleet. The Boeing 767 maintains its baggage hold above 7˚C, but the bulk area (where animals are carried) can be heated above 18˚C. Controlled temperature cargo bins are also available when temperature-sensitive goods are being shipped.

To avoid the capture of your paint by security staff it is advisable to store it in the baggage that goes into the belly.
I found out the hard way that rules about liquids and the amount only have a ´theoritical´ base, but the practical interpretation of the security staff varies from ´0 tolerance´ to ´not have noticed`. The most fanatic executers of the rules can be found on US territory.

P.
 _GOTOTOP