_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
again, a Centurion BAOR question
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hello,

Regarding to my old post http://armorama.com/forums/200832#1680495 I have still some questions about the Centurion Tank at BAOR.

1) Is it possible to build the NATO AFV Club Centurion oob for a BAOR Centurion with a) up-armoured, b) up-gunned, c) two headlights on the front, d) stowage basket, e) Infra-Red, f) extra tank on the rear?

I ask because all photos which I have found show Centurions only in a similar manner. For example a) up-armoured, up-gunned, extra tank, IR but the lights are not on the front, but on the fenders....and there many photos with such modifications.

Are these modifications regular or field improvements but with a daily character?

Thanks in advance!!!

best wishes,

moritz
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC
Sounds like you're talking about a Centurion Mk 11 or 12. Mk 12 was rebuilt from Mk7 via Mk9 and were the last Centurion gun tanks in UK service. But the AFV Club NATO Cent is a Mk 5, so there is work to do, especially extended hull and new engine deck. But you could do a Mk11, which evolved from Mk3 via Mk5 & Mk6. Best book on Cents is the the one by Simon Dunstan, Modern Combat Vehicles 2, published by Ian Allan 1980.
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hello,

Thank your for your answer!

My problem is that nearly all was possible! You can build all Centurions which had not the internal tank with the extra external tank etc...Every Centurion with a 105mm Gun (only the early mks) can be built with the 20pdr Gun (daily practice to reduce the wear of the 105mm) and so on

And for these cases I miss either photos, information or parts to modify the AFV`s Centurion. For example in Dunstan `s book was only a handful photos of a Centurion mk 6/2 which based in these cases on a Centurion mk III and not on a V....

In summary, this chaos caused in a kind of un-security because my references are only "theoretical"...

In general it is awful to see that AFV have not pursued the Centurion tank line...

best wishes,

Moritz
FireflyMkIC
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 07:20 PM UTC
The Centurion is a difficult tank to follow due to its many modifications. Centurion In Action by Squadron Signal gives a rough guide of the Marks. The good news is you can build any of the Mk3/Mk5 upgrades by using the superb AFV-Club kits. There are also after market parts by Castoff Models and LionMark.
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 10:09 PM UTC
Hi Moritz,

I have built A centurion 5/6 straight from the box, I put the double headlights on the glacis, if you PM me your address I will sort some pics out for you.

Are you on Face book?
Try this page, its a mine of information,very nice people there too.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/134672933274865/

Anto
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 12:23 AM UTC
Moritz,

Peter Smith is right in that you can build a Mk 11 from the AFV Club kit; as I understand it not all were fitted with the long range tank at the rear, but you will need to procure a lagged gun barrel (from Accurate Armour or Inside the Armour), modify the mantlet to install the Ranging Machine Gun (Milliput or a resin replacement turret from Inside the Armour) and of course install the IR searchlight. AFV Club make a separate etched stowage rack which adds to the detail.

I believe that a Mark 11 could be finished in the Olive Drab and Black scheme which I think came into use in BAOR in around 1968, although I suspect that most Centurions then would probably have been Marks 12 and 13.

Good luck with this project.

Regards,

Brian
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 10:30 PM UTC

Hello,

First thank you for your help!

I have already built the early MKs (3 for Korean and MK 5 for Suiz) so that I would like to build a 1960`s BAOR Centurion.

The problem is that with the AFV Kit oob, I can only build a Centurion MK 6 or 11. And to find references of a MK 6 (or of a British MK 11) with double pair of head lights, IR etc. is quite difficult.

Furthermore I cannot understand why from the producer (AFV) and the aftermarket the higher Centurions are ignored...

The facebook homepage about the Centurions is very good!!! Many interesting photos, especially from Korea!!! Thank for the advice!

Best wishes!!!

_GOTOTOP