_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 Egypt Diorama "The patrol" MENG Pickup
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since I last posted but I've been busy working on several dioramas at the same time
this is my 4th diorama and model kit and my second year in the modeling world, its more and more fun!
THE STORY:
In 2013 the Egyptian army suffered many losses in Sinai region due to suicide attacks by insurgents on soldiers and officers. In response the army launched massive operations to hunt down the fleeing insurgents all over the Sinai desert area. this Diorama features an army patrol falling in confrontation with an insurgent camping.
Youtube Video: you can also watch the making video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xvemjcbiMQ
THE KITS:
I used MENG 1/35 pickup and equipment kit and the MB Iraq2 figures kit and some modern US soldiers figures converted to Egyptian Unitform.
The Diorama Base:
I had the diorama base custom made according to my design by www.dioramania.com
THE KITS:

SOME OF THE MAKING STEPS:

DESIGNING THE BASE:

The base was custom made by www.dioramania.com

THE FINISHED DIORAMA:

Thank you for giving me your comments and suggestions
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 09:45 AM UTC
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 10:01 AM UTC
Nice work Hussein.
Great job on the pickup. The base turned out really well.
A couple of things I noticed, and just my opinion, is the driver seems too relaxed to be under fire and is looking in the opposite direction. The blood seems a little too pink, a little flat red and a touch of clear red for fresh wounds would work better. Last I think there's a lot of dead space between the troops and insurgents. Enough possibly for another small vehicle?

Tom
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 10:25 AM UTC
Nice job on your diorama, Hussein! I like the license plates on the truck. Where did you find those? Looks like the Iraqi insurgent figures served well as Ansar Bait al-Maqdis, and the American infantrymen converted readily enough to Egyptian army troops.
Also, I've got to say, I love the hookah! Could it be that the ABaM were smoking more than just shisha, and befuddled their wits? It's no wonder the army patrol was able to creep up so close and surprise them!
bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 433 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 10:42 AM UTC
good details. you did an excellent job of bringing all of the elements together to tell a story. The paint job on the truck and the weathering are very good.
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 11:58 AM UTC
Thanks Tom
Indeed the blood color is very tricky to get right especially for fresh wounds.
I was actually planning to add a humvee on the other side of this diorama but had to remove it as it made things too crowded. That is why i ended up with that much space in the middle. Sometimes less is more
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 12:02 PM UTC
Thanks jphilipps
I printed those license plates off the internet with inkjet printer.
Indeed i was glad to add the hanooka to the diorama, i like your scenario about that makes a lot of sense, we'd have to take a puff and find out
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 12:02 PM UTC
Thanks Bobby
dimkaras
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 06:27 PM UTC
Hi Hussein
Glad you finished this nice dio.
The work on pickup is great, also your conversions are going very well!
We had discussed regarding the subtraction of the HUMVEE, but what about one fallen motorcycle beside the wounded soldier?
You maybe know, better than us, if the Egyptian army has some of them
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 09:12 PM UTC
Thanks Dimitris
Unfortunatly i dont think the Egyptian army uses motorcycles especially in desert areas.
What about a small jeep willy? some of them are still in service.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 09:35 PM UTC

Salaam Hussein,

don't lose your momentum (or mojo as Jerry would say ). I admire people who go ahead in their projects!

Regarding this dio, I must say that the base+ruin is superb! They are doing a great job no doubt, but I'm sure you could do just as well yourself!!

I love the shisha and the water bottles!! They provide atmosphere!! But I agree that most probably there was more than just tobacco!!

Figures: don't paint those biiiig eyes!! Especially in your area, people outdoors would squint all the time!!!

As I've repeatedly said: take a look at people the "right" distance away....and see if you can spot any white in the eye!

Just a suggestion: I would tone down the contrast between colours on the uniforms. The egyptian soldiers I remember wore items that were faded down quite a bit!

Please take care of those mould lines for future projects!

Also, given the fact of 2 casualties already, I doubt these soldiers would advance without aiming their weapons in the direction (I wouldn't!!).

They are not even under stress! Look at their body language!!

Unfortunately, these soldier figures very much show their age! They weren't the best, when they were issued, but nowadays, with much better stuff (even in plastic, MB f.ex.) available...!!

And I agree with the gentlemen above regarding blood, relaxed driver (too much shisha??) and the void space. I agree that another vehicle may be too much, but how about 1 or 2 more figures?? One guy looking after the wounded and one guarding them, kneeling with weapon aimed f.ex..

Might add some drama!!

And allow me one last remark: the impacts on the pickup are a tad heavy!!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted...please!!!!

Cheers

Romain

helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 10:35 PM UTC
Thanks Romain for the usual useful feedback.
Watch out for my next diorama that i will post next week, i have dealt with many of these issues in it.
the figures will be more sanded and the body language more in tone with the story.I try to advance in every diorama more than the one before it.
When the scene has lots of action and drama it becomes difficult to find exactly a figure kit that fits all my needs. I wish i could make my own figures then i would be able to have exactly the body motion in my imagination. I always try to modify the figures as much as i can to approach reality but there are limits to my modifications.
Also when doing modern army figures the choices are very limited because most kits are historic from ww2. Could you recommend me some good model sources? I've been lately using Verlinden Productions they are great with some civilians and Arab figures, who else specializes in good variety figures?
I also noticed that i made the kits and figures and then started to plan for the diorama which is wrong. Starting this next diorama i planned all elements from day 1 so it made a big difference in my next choice of kits & figures.
dimkaras
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Dimitris
Unfortunatly i dont think the Egyptian army uses motorcycles especially in desert areas.
What about a small jeep willy? some of them are still in service.

Hi again,
Maybe a Ford Mutt M151 is most possible to be.
But you probably know better (or can find) if any at the Egyptian army.
I found these images but are not from Egyptian army.

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 01:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Romain for the usual useful feedback.
Watch out for my next diorama that i will post next week, i have dealt with many of these issues in it.
the figures will be more sanded and the body language more in tone with the story.I try to advance in every diorama more than the one before it.
When the scene has lots of action and drama it becomes difficult to find exactly a figure kit that fits all my needs. I wish i could make my own figures then i would be able to have exactly the body motion in my imagination. I always try to modify the figures as much as i can to approach reality but there are limits to my modifications.
Also when doing modern army figures the choices are very limited because most kits are historic from ww2. Could you recommend me some good model sources? I've been lately using Verlinden Productions they are great with some civilians and Arab figures, who else specializes in good variety figures?
I also noticed that i made the kits and figures and then started to plan for the diorama which is wrong. Starting this next diorama i planned all elements from day 1 so it made a big difference in my next choice of kits & figures.

Hi Hussein,

good thinking!! I've sent you a PM! Check your inbox!!

As far as conversions are concerned, you must be creative! Many parts from many sets (even WW2) can be used! Missing details can be added with putty, f.ex.

If we always wait for the right figures to pop up, we might never build the dio at all!!

Converting and creating figs out of scrap is one of the best things ever!! Once you get into it, you'll not stop doing it!

Cheers

Romain

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC
Nice dio, Hussein, great use of some really cool figures to tell a compelling story.

helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 02:05 AM UTC
Thanks Dimitris

The Mutt is a good idea, i just did a mutt for my latest diorama of Apache helicopter. I enjoyed making it a lot. Its small in size and suitable for this space
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hi Hussein, well done diorama and and I like the weathering of the pickup. The ground base is nice.

I don't think a second vehicle is necessary.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hi Hussein! I like the action and your truck looks great. Thank you for sharing and hope to see more of your work!
Hisham
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 03:39 AM UTC
Helwa ya Hussein.. and the shisha is a nice touch

Hisham
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC
Thanks Alex
I agree
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 04:06 AM UTC
Shokran Hisham
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 07:47 PM UTC
Thanks Amoz
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hi Hussein, very nice job,

I like the weathering work on the pickup and the insurgent figures, very nice.

The first impression is that something is missing in the middle: honestly speaking i had this impression too. A suggestion: an abandoned car, maybe used as shield by the insurgent. Maybe is working...

Anyway, very good job !
Giovanni
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 03:59 AM UTC
Thanks Giovanni

A destroyed car or some scrapped equipment might be a good idea.
Bringing the soldiers too close to the firing range was unrealistic especially without any cover, you idea would provide cover i just need to find out what kind of scraped vehicle to throw there
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2014 - 07:09 AM UTC
In Egypt pickups are mostly beatup and in terrible condition due to heavy usage and awful traffic
Any one who visited Egypt could have seen that in the streets. This type of toyota pickup is the favored model used by tribes in Sinai.
 _GOTOTOP