Hosted by Darren Baker
Scratch building Challenger Barracuda camo
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 06:47 PM UTC
Hey Everyone, I was just reading about how Zimmerit coatings can be made by impressing a hot blade on to the plastic surface of a tank. With this in mind, can I replicate Barracuda camouflage on a Trumpeter Challenger II using this method? Thanks for your help.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 07:10 PM UTC
Not a chance. The Barracuda camouflage is far too 3D to be produced with a hot knife. It has multiple components and panels and would be impossible to replicate with the plastic surface of a kit expecially around all the fine details that are not covered by the Barracuda.

You can buy the Cast Off Models Challenger 2 conversion...formerly the Cromwell Models conversion...

http://www.castoff-models.co.uk/
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 08:04 PM UTC
Thanks LeoCmdr, it's a good thing I asked before I tried the technique out.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2014 - 02:53 AM UTC
I've seen the original Cromwell built-up at Telford, & am looking forward to the re-release by Castoff, (a bunch of bods I've dealt with before) though my wallet isn't looking forward to this.

Other options would be applying one of the following to the Cholly:

There is a Barracuda Decal from Echelon,
Armorama Review here Seems well regarded, & food for thought.

Google Search results here

Good luck
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2014 - 03:15 PM UTC
Thanks for the help jon_a_its, I'll take a look.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2014 - 11:32 PM UTC
The Barracuda cam is not a net it is a pad and quite thick, held in place with super Velcro (best simple description)..

Each panel cut and shaped for a specific location on any given vehicle.

You can see the stitching for the velcro showing through the upper surface of this piece.

The newish fish scale nets are not the same item and have been in service since the middle 70's...

Keith.
r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 02:33 AM UTC
Try this approach. I've done it although scale is different you may get a few tips.

Cheers!

http://www.armorama.co.uk/forums/172376&ord=&page=1
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC
I used photo etch to produce the barracuda on my land rover.

Terry
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 11:12 AM UTC
I forward a technique suggested by Ingvar Sylegård:

http://www.plasticwarfare.se/2007/10/how-to-make-realistic-barracuda-camouflage-netting-in-135/

it has to be mentioned that there are nettings and mats. For the mats you should apply the netting to a base which in turn will have to be attached piecemeal to the vehicle.

What might be an alternative to white-glued tissue is old fashioned video tape. But that is just an idea. Have not tried it yet.
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 12:42 PM UTC
Thanks everyone, I honestly didn't expect this much help from everyone.

@Keef1648: I just have one more question for you: if the fish scale nets are no longer used, then does this mean that the PE barracuda nets are not going to work on the Challenger? Please forgive my ignorance, camo nets are not my forte

@r2d2: I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I wasn't able to open the link that you sent me. If you could tell me what the link was about, I could perhaps do a search.

@barny: landy looks beautiful. I'm assuming its from Helmund?

@panorama: Danke shoen, I'll have to consider the video tape method since the glue method sounds messy. I beg your pardon if I spelled shoen wrong; I can't type umlautes.
r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Keef1648: I just have one more question for you: if the fish scale nets are no longer used, then does this mean that the PE barracuda nets are not going to work on the Challenger? Please forgive my ignorance, camo nets are not my forte

@r2d2: I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I wasn't able to open the link that you sent me. If you could tell me what the link was about, I could perhaps do a search.

@barny: landy looks beautiful. I'm assuming its from Helmund?

@panorama: Danke shoen, I'll have to consider the video tape method since the glue method sounds messy. I beg your pardon if I spelled shoen wrong; I can't type umlautes.

Sam, Its my challenger build in 72nd. The link is working, anyway you can search it on the braille section in page 9 and look under my name (r2d2). Hope that helps.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 12:18 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

The nets may be issued for use overhead and around static positions and also during early training for draping on small vehicles (Land Rover) but they don't offer the same level of protection as the new Barracuda custom fit padding but just alter the 'visual' shape of the item underneath.

Worn out pads can simply be replaced in just a few minutes by the crew.

Saab Barracuda.
Barracuda is the world leader in the art of battlefield deception.

Barracuda products provide protection against detection in the entire range of electro-magnetic field.
Apart from the visual band, using Barracuda products also reduces signatures and enables blending with natural surroundings in the Near and Far Infrared band, Thermal Infrared bands and the entire Radar band.

Saab Barracuda has a bank of over 3000 color combinations based on its experience in various countries.

Its Multi-spectral Camouflage nets (MSCN) and Multi-spectral Personal Camouflage Equipment (MSPCE) such as Special Operations Tactical Suiting (SOTACS) can be primarily used by advance scouts who operate in remote outposts for long hours.

For border areas, its Ponchos and Sniper Suits deceive infiltrators using Night Vision Goggles, IR Binoculars, etc.

Barracuda personal over-wear (is worn over load carriages) has unique properties to reduce thermal signatures and it also blends with surroundings. Thus, security forces can effectively prevent infiltration.

Saab Barracuda has a complete range of Concealment, Camouflage and Deception equipment (CCD). For all types of armor, Barracuda offers its MSCN Nets. For troops in advanced areas, a variety and combination of MSPCE suiting meets the requirements.

Most significantly, Barracuda provides the best solution for armor on the move.

Armed Forces can use Barracuda Mobile Camouflage Systems (MCS). In MCS, the armor such as MBTs, BMPs, Command and Control vehicles, launchers are also equipped with camouflage on its surface.

Barracuda has the distinction of having provided over 5000 such kits abroad.

In India, Barracuda has successfully developed and demonstrated advantages of MCS on Arjun MBT in deserts of Rajasthan.

Barracuda has offered its individual soldier-specific Special Operations Tactical Camouflage Suiting.
This system, when tested by the Indian Army’s Northern Command, denied detection to 45 meters.

The SOTCS is also available for all kinds of terrain including jungle, snow, desert etc.

Keith.
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 05:10 PM UTC
@r2d2: Sorry, I didn't try copying and pasting the link before. But it works now. I think I saw your build before. I remember seeing a green and tan Challenger TES which looked a lot like yours. Anyway that same model was the piece that inspired me to take this project on.

@Keef1648: That did the trick. If I may trouble you with one last question: Do they sell PE Barracuda MCS? I've seen resin kits, but they are way too expensive. If the PE stuff I saw on eBay are the exact same things as the MCS, then I am good to go. Thank you so much for your help and patience.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 06:27 PM UTC
All those links from other sites and this is here on ours.

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/8266

Cheers Rob.

Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 07:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the link Rob. Although eBay doesn't have the product described in the link, I was wondering if this one would work in its place.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/eduard-36151-1-35-Armor-Camo-Netting-Barracuda-Woodland-Painted-/190712774040?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2c675dfd98

Thanks again for your help.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 11:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Keef1648: That did the trick. If I may trouble you with one last question: Do they sell PE Barracuda MCS? I've seen resin kits, but they are way too expensive. If the PE stuff I saw on eBay are the exact same things as the MCS, then I am good to go. Thank you so much for your help and patience.

no trouble at all Sir.

Either 'might' work for you as long as you remember any Barracuda actually 'WORN' by a vehicle especially and Armored Fighting Vehicle is going to be of the sectional padded type and not a draped net.

You could put something under the net to resemble the pad and cut the sections. Not easy in braille scale though..

Keith.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 12:05 AM UTC
Samuel,
That looks like a different pattern, and I think working with PE would be a little more difficult than the paper camo.

Cheers Rob.
Alpha6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 12:00 PM UTC
@Keef1648: Thanks again for your help.

@Rob: That was unexpected, hehe . Guess I'll just stick with making my own camo, like r2d2. Thanks for your help.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I forward a technique suggested by Ingvar Sylegård:

http://www.plasticwarfare.se/2007/10/how-to-make-realistic-barracuda-camouflage-netting-in-135/

it has to be mentioned that there are nettings and mats. For the mats you should apply the netting to a base which in turn will have to be attached piecemeal to the vehicle.

What might be an alternative to white-glued tissue is old fashioned video tape. But that is just an idea. Have not tried it yet.

I was looking for this link, book-marked now!

I think the confusion lies in that there are 2 types called Barracuda here,

The old-style 'bit-of-net-with-holes-in-it' to drape over a vehicle, and/or 'put-it-on-sticks-&-hide-under-it' net, of which the 'Barracuda' is one named style.

Several examples given in the replies, Echelon, Arkebuza, Ingvar Sylegård of Plasticwarfare.se, and the Eduard 36151 1/35 Armor- Camo Netting.

The other type is comprehensively & well explained by Keith F. as add-on BCS pads, with a 'Barracuda' covering. These are custom made for each vehicle.

Seen wearing the latest in Camo-chic are:
British Challenger 2's Landys, Scimitar 2's, FV432 Bulldogs, & Warriors.
Canadian Leo C2 Mexas & Leo2 Buffalos'
German Leo 2 A5/A6's, Marder A5's.

And probably many many others... (I want them all, btw)

A reasonable attempt could be made by combining the various PE & Paper camos with 'sticky-back plastic'/paper/sculpting material of your choice. & making your own

Good luck
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi Samuel,
no worries about the umlaute. Your Danke schön is appreciated in any spelling. And as a special offer of the day I send you the complete doubel set of umlaute to be used on any occation to deem fit; for free!

ää, ÄÄ, öö, ÖÖ, üü, ÜÜ.

Hope this makes your day. ;-) Michael

PS: the Eduard camo can be ordered straight from their hompage (eduard.com) or should be orderable from your Eduard-retailer.
 _GOTOTOP