_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Smell of Pledge Future
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 07:15 PM UTC
I have no complaint about the performance of Future. It does everything I want from a clear acrylic varnish. However, I cannot stand the smell of Future. It has a weird chemical odor that I absolutely hate. I have three bottles of Future, which should serve me for decades to come, but because of its smell, I'm thinking about using Tamiya Clear instead!
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have no complaint about the performance of Future. It does everything I want from a clear acrylic varnish. However, I cannot stand the smell of Future. It has a weird chemical odor that I absolutely hate. I have three bottles of Future, which should serve me for decades to come, but because of its smell, I'm thinking about using Tamiya Clear instead!

Really? I don't smell anything when I use Future.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Really? I don't smell anything when I use Future.

Not much of an odor for me,no more so then when my wife use to use it on the linoleum floor
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 01:49 AM UTC
Same here, no issues with the odor. Nothing worse than the fumes of thinner nor glue. @Chrisk-K, how weird / bad was it for you?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 01:52 AM UTC
Any atomised chemical solution can be harmful when breathed in and so you should ideally be wearing a mask. If you wear a good quality mask you should not smell anything as the charcoal filter will take care of that.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC
Depends what future your using, the new stuff in uk (pledge with klear) is milky white smells terrible and makes canopies go streaky when dipped.
Wish they would bring back the old klear!
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 03:04 AM UTC
The Future I have smell almost sweet. They are the pre-Pledge stuff

parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 03:05 AM UTC

Really? I don't smell anything when I use Future.[/quote]

Same for me.

Tom
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
True with mine too. I have to put my nose right over the opening to smell anything

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC
Of course you are comparing the smell of Future with the odors from enamel paint, Dullcoat, glue, CA glue, acetone, thinner, and the smell of something burning where I put my butane torch too close to the warning papers from my last kit? What smell?! (Time to pick up in the shop some I guess)
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 04:54 AM UTC
I have the latest version of Future - Pledge Multi-surface Floor Care. SC Johnson must have added something to it. It has some "sweet chemical" odor if that makes sense. When I spray it, I wear a respirator, turn on the fan of my spray booth and leave the windows open. I can still smell it after a painting session! My nose absolutely hates the smell.

Well, I'll order Tamiya Clear or Winsor & Newton Clear. I don't need to be bothered by this Future smell...
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 06:06 AM UTC
Mine is the 2006 vintage. It has a pleasing bouquet with a hint of blackberry and leaves a subtle aftertaste in the back of the throat......
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mine is the 2006 vintage. It has a pleasing bouquet with a hint of blackberry and leaves a subtle aftertaste in the back of the throat......

. No wonder you can't keep it in stock for any length of time .
sabre1866
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 07:35 AM UTC
I managed to lay down two or three bottles when 'Johnsons Klear' as it was known as in the UK was withdrawn from the shelves.
I always use it through my airbrush mixed 50:50 with distilled water in light coats. I've never noticed an unpleasant / chemical odour but I do like the smell of Napalm.

Rog.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I managed to lay down two or three bottles when 'Johnsons Klear' as it was known as in the UK was withdrawn from the shelves.
I always use it through my airbrush mixed 50:50 with distilled water in light coats. I've never noticed an unpleasant / chemical odour but I do like the smell of Napalm.

Rog.

. Wow so I'm not the only one who likes the smell of napalm , for a while there I though something was wrong with me .
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Rog.

. Wow so I'm not the only one who likes the smell of napalm , for a while there I though something was wrong with me .

you're in good company with the Colonel.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 10:00 AM UTC
Although I can't stand the smell of Future, I love the smell of Tamiya acrylics!
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I can't stand the smell of Future, I love the smell of Tamiya acrylics!

Sick and wrong, sick and wrong....
 _GOTOTOP