_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Paint cracking on top of hairspray
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hey,

I guess I'm not the only one who ever had this problem but wasn't able to find a clear answer yet...

I covered my KV-1 with a Vallejo primer (red brown) followed by a coat of hairspray and a coat of Vallejo russian green. All of these applied with an airbrush. What happened was that as soon as I applied the green it started showing cracks in several areas.

I paid special attention to not applying the hairspray too thick and let it dry for about 3 hours. The primer also dried almost 24 hours. My best guess is that the russian green was maybe too wet (about 30% alcohol to 70% paint) and that diluted the hairspray under it.

What do you guys think? Where did it went wrong?

Thanks a lot!
Losboz
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2014 - 12:15 AM UTC
Too much hairspray

Two light misting coats are all that is needed. Spray from 10-12" away and there should be no issues

You can apply paint within 10-15 minutes and even quicker if you use a hairdryer with no adverse effects
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2014 - 07:14 AM UTC
Thanks Losboz! I'm sure I paid enough attention to the amount applied but hey... apparently it wasn't enough

On the other hand, I continued with the hull today (it was only the turret and partially the fenders that got affected in the first place) and these turned out nicely. The only difference was that I haven't thinned the paint that much this time and applied lighter coats than last time.

Additionally, I have over-sprayed the cracked areas again with a light coat and the cracks have disappeared. Pfewww...
 _GOTOTOP