help wanted on karl morter
bazers
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hi guys
Am thinking about a dio with karl morter being unloaded from rail transporter but kind find any info on how it was done .
Can anyone help ?.
Thanks Bazzer.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 09:29 AM UTC
The gun was suspended between 2 lift units as seen here.

The arms of the travel cars were hooked on to either end of the gun, then hydraulically raised, lifting it off the ground.

Hope this helps.
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 04:53 PM UTC
Thanks bob
if it was lowered on to the rails it must have damaged rails when it moved off rails !.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 03:38 AM UTC
There are a number of solutions for that problem, The simplest being wooden blocks, or mounded dirt.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 04:50 AM UTC
One of the Hasegawa kit versions included the rail cars.

If wooden sleepers or bulldozers weren't handy, they could drop it at a road crossing where the rail heads are at ground level. Gentle driving might prevent the tracks from tearing up the rails.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 06:59 AM UTC
Excellent thought about unloading at a grade crossing!
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 07:25 AM UTC
Thanks guys
a rail crossing it will be.
bazzer.
Disith
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 07:34 AM UTC
you might find this interesting its a larger scale diorama of a karl morser being unloaded it shows a temporary railhead made with wooden beams which I suspect would be transported with the morser along with all the additional equipment and support vehicles which you can see in photos from the period
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=120114
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 08:48 AM UTC
That is an absolutely beautiful website there Neil... especially the construction of that 1/6 Dora!

Jeff
Disith
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 09:39 AM UTC
I know its mental how big that thing is even 1/6 its the same size as some artillery pieces, and props to the guy that is a major scratch build, the build photos are amazing. its a shame neither survived I would have loved to walk around one, now that would have been a majorly stand out exhibit.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 10:02 AM UTC
I have both Hasegawa kits in the stash with one that has the MKIV ammo carrier and the other on the rail carrier. I found out that the suspension can be raised and lowered. From what I have dug up if it was in firing mode the suspension would be lowered so it sits lower. When it was being transported on rail the suspension was lowered so I guess it would not scrape the ground. With the Hasegawa kits the kit with the MKIV ammo carrier the suspension is raised where the kit with the rail transport it is lowered. So that means the kit with the ammo carrier I can't show it in firing mode and if I switch the parts then I can't show it in rail transport mode. So I guess I can do one kit in firing mode and the other maybe just being offloaded (like you want to do) from rail and they raised the suspension.

Gotta luv this hobby

Cheers
Disith
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 11:16 AM UTC
I picked up the trumpeter 1/35 karl morser with the rail cars a couple of years back at the big IPMS show kit swap for quite cheap but still not built it yet as its quite an undertaking not as bad as the 1/35 dora but still comes with about a meter of track for it to sit on and a very scary amount of sprue's, saving this one for when I have a lot more time to give to it.

also yes the suspension on the morser would be lowered when it was off the cars and raised when it was on the cars and I think when it fired as well as I have seen it quite low in a few pictures but im not 100% on that last one
anyhow a few videos with the gustav in and thor morser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf3fgfHoTOc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzgrNWMDkhI
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 01:34 PM UTC
With it in firing position, the gun basically sat on the ground. This provided a very stable firing platform and took the stress off of the suspension.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you might find this interesting its a larger scale diorama of a karl morser being unloaded it shows a temporary railhead made with wooden beams which I suspect would be transported with the morser along with all the additional equipment and support vehicles which you can see in photos from the period
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=120114

That's an impressive collection of GI Jerries! I'm torn for favourites between "Dr Strangelove" at the briefing, or "David Niven" on the Krad...

I assume the Morser and railcars are totally scratch? Wow.
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 06:58 PM UTC
Thanks for all info on morter got a good idea what i am going to do now.
bazer.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 08:35 AM UTC
Slightly off topic, but Neil, I have that same Trump kit with one of the rail cars half built. One day I'm going to propose a "let's finish all the Karl and Dora kits we have in the stash" campaign...
Mox1983
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 12:37 PM UTC
Sorry to add further to the Off Topic, but I too got the Trumpy Karl and Panzer IV ammo carrier kits at the IPMS kit swap a few years ago, still being used as loft insulation!
The problem is where to display them when built, not to mention the 1/35 V1 launch ramp I got at the same venue last year
Disith
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 09:22 PM UTC
Well I'm waiting for some individual track links to arrive ready for when I do get around to building it as I dislike rubber band tracks. But speaking of big models I came 4 pin digits away from buying the 1/6 dragon sherman a few weeks ago, frustratingly my wife said fine you can buy it if you want but where will you put it. so there's me running around the house with a tape measure but no luck I couldn't find anywhere big enough for it to fit. oh well now need a bigger house to fit all these bigger model kits lol
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 09:31 AM UTC
I do already have a set of Friul links for the Karl, sitting in that big box under the bed,trying to make their way to the centre of the earth, so heavy are they. Personally, I've been eyeing up the lounge window sill - one of those high up long ones that doesn't open, almost looks made for it...
 _GOTOTOP