_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Russian Tanker uniforms
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 01:22 PM UTC
Hey folks,
working on a little project here. Just wondering what would be correct for the Russian tanker uniforms for Chechnya? I use Vallejo paints. So if you can base it off that, it would be great. Was it Flora Pattern?

Cheers,
Tom

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 09:40 PM UTC
Here's a picture that was taken in 1995 in Checnya (according to the caption...) :

H.P.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 10:19 PM UTC
You could go with black, tan or flora too. There was quite a mix used during both Chechen wars. The tan color seemed most common in its winter format- denoted usually by the fur around the collar area.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 12:19 PM UTC
My work so far..

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Tom

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 10:07 PM UTC
Thats looking pretty good Tom. The Flora camo is a solid choice as it was very widely used. Two things I would point out though- one is the color of the flak vests- they were commonly a drab green khaki- not quite as dark as the color you have. Also- the collars are the correct shape and nice and thick- but the wool texture was easily visible here- perhaps a little texturizing in that area would give it a better look as they seem quite smooth right now.

All in all you are creating an excellent dynamic between these two figures- the poses and the expressions are spot-on. Are you planning to add them to a vehicle of some sort?
Please keep us updated !
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi,
yeah I was thinking the same. Some times I find that taking a photo of the progress to show my errors. As for the flak jacket, I was totally winging it.The paint of the Flak jacket is Green Drab from Testor Acyrilc. But I do agree with you. These figures will be added to a T-62 with BAR armor on it. May be having it just knocked out. It's going to be a cool project, I will admit. I have been using the turret to the model to get the figure position correct. Even if I don't have it started yet. I got a T-80BV on the go right now. Friulmodel tracks are a slow progress. But sweet looking.

Thanks for looking,
Cheers,
Tom
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hey Tom- I agree about taking photos and seeing problems. I always get that- they can be maddening sometimes though- I always see something I forgot to do or a smudge or something I missed! Your idea for a dio sounds very cool- I'd love to see some photos of your progress. I agree about the Fruils too- slow yes but they do look great once they are finished and they can be painted and weathered so easily as well.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 11:57 PM UTC
not to hijack the orig thread, but are these the manufacturers figures or homegrown recasts? The texture is awful!
I love the posing, but the detail is soft and it's swiss cheese city..

Like the talking dog says about sandpaper, "rough rough rough".

Mike
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC
Homegrown-ish.... I think the resin is crap. Might move onto Smooth On instead of Alumilite. And I do have a vacuum press. I'll just have to play with the different resins.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 03:26 AM UTC
You are better equipped than I ever was. I quickly realized without being able to pressure or degas the pours and molds I wasn't going to get the results I hoped for.
Good luck with the casting experiments.

The cammo pattern looks good to my eye and the vibrancy of the colors will tone down (I assume) with finishing and weathering.
I'm guessing you know all about the militaryphotos.net russian military thread, something like 3500+ pages at this point?
 _GOTOTOP