_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Where do you find your diorama ideas?
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 09:45 AM UTC
I've been starting to think about my next diorama and really want to bake in "humanity" to it. I'm curious how folks come up with their ideas for dioramas. I've dug through my collection of images, googled various WWII topics and vehicles and I have a few ideas. But I'm looking for inspiration on scenes that are more "human", more "alive". WWII images are often more about capturing a posed scene or a post-battle vehicle scene.

I'm looking for sources, books, techniques, thought exercises for coming up with hilarious scenes.... things like this:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1347466759/I+Can+Fly+Now

or

http://build.theworldwithme.com/wp-content/gallery/moson-model-show/P1130017.jpg

Any help you can give in where I can find inspiration would be greatly appreciated!

kapoybana
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 11:01 AM UTC
old movies, old tv shows ( combat for example ) and , documentaries.
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

old movies, old tv shows ( combat for example ) and , documentaries.

Combat! my favorite WWII series ever!

Generally when i want to start a new diorama/figure/vignette, i follow these steps:
First i go to my stash and i choose one kit... let's say the ubiquous Kubelwagen
2 Then i go to my bookshelves and try to find some inspiration for a time frame... let's say i want to paint some dark colours, so i go to the early campaigns section...
3 And of course i do an extensive research for images on the net and i try to find an image that combines the subject and the period... let's say a kubelwagen in 1941 in the russian front...
And repeat steps 2 and 3 until i find something that suits my expectactions...
I've calculated than i spend at least 10 hours or so in researching for each hour i spend at actual modelling...
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 01:15 PM UTC
Hi Jake,
I find inspiration in my nightmares! ... from films/photos ... from books ... from box art ... and from the awesome builders on this site.

--mike
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

WWII images are often more about capturing a posed scene or a post-battle vehicle scene.

This is called "documentary".

Some build dioramas for the representation of a historical moment in time.

If you would like to take it beyond this, then just go for a
"what if" situation and let your imagination run wild and
unleash your sense of humor.

Cheers,
Joe

dimkaras
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hi all,
Hi Jake,

Jean-Bernard André is a special case . He is not doing just (military) dioramas. He “express a lot of (his) feelings ” at his dioramas, especially the human drama, from purely historic or movies inspiration. As he says “my ideas I found while listening to music ”.
Also his themes are so unique... he scratch built everything there!
As you can see, I am a great fan of him, and I call his work dreamy dioramas .

Regarding the war photos, I suggest to really try at some journalist’s very best shoots. I have fount a lot of interesting things at similar searches (not only at English speaking sites). I also like the humorous incident scenes.

Concluding, the movies offer me the greatest inspiration I could have. Not particular the historic correct movies. The Combat series and the old Sahara film have got me a lot of thoughts.
My favorite is the latest Russian “Stalingrand” film.

I need some clones to help me on modeling all those scenes
PS: Sorry for my bad English.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 09:31 PM UTC
An art teacher of mine always used to say "the best ideas come in 2 places.... When you are having a smoke or when you are on the loo."

Good ideas can come from anywhere. I save every pic that I see potential in for a future diorama. It is true that often in books you see the posed scenes but there are also tons and tons of personal soldiers pics. Check out the militaria section on Ebay Germany for instance on "Foto" and you will encounter thousands of private pics up to complete albums. I have a couple of original WW2 albums and a big load of separate pics. They can be a great inspiration. I work a lot of vintage pics.
That said. Returning to the phrase from my art teacher I started out with in this post. Most of my dio ideas come from the dark corners of my own mind. Pretty much any fun scene you see can be turned around to a military theme. Swap vehicles and figures and it would work just as well as it did with normal civilian vehicles and attire. Same goes with movie scenes. Even pics from modern situations can in most cases be turned to a WW2 situation.

And sometimes a good idea just pops in your head (whether or not you are on the loo or having a smoke outside.) The other day I was checking in a box of spares and found 2 Tamiya Jeeps and suddenly thought how fun it would be to make a scene where bored soldiers have turned them into racecars... racenumbers and all. Then another idea popped into my head. Why not have it be a race between Army and Airforce, Or Army against Navy. Followed up by the idea of having it centered at the Belgian town of Spa where the famous racingtrack of Spa Francorchampsis located.
There you have it in the timespan of 7 minutes I thought out a completely new dio idea centered around the liberation of Spa where 2 divisions or 2 army branches are preparing to race against each other in Jeeps on a famous classic racetrack. Guys cheering on their racers. Taking bets etc. having drinks. Mechanics walking around the cars. The drivers with old style racinghelmets and goggles. No clue if it ever happened. And I don't care either. It is exactly what bored soldiers do
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

An art teacher of mine always used to say "the best ideas come in 2 places.... When you are having a smoke or when you are on the loo."

Good ideas can come from anywhere. I save every pic that I see potential in for a future diorama. It is true that often in books you see the posed scenes but there are also tons and tons of personal soldiers pics. Check out the militaria section on Ebay Germany for instance on "Foto" and you will encounter thousands of private pics up to complete albums. I have a couple of original WW2 albums and a big load of separate pics. They can be a great inspiration. I work a lot of vintage pics.
That said. Returning to the phrase from my art teacher I started out with in this post. Most of my dio ideas come from the dark corners of my own mind. Pretty much any fun scene you see can be turned around to a military theme. Swap vehicles and figures and it would work just as well as it did with normal civilian vehicles and attire. Same goes with movie scenes. Even pics from modern situations can in most cases be turned to a WW2 situation.

And sometimes a good idea just pops in your head (whether or not you are on the loo or having a smoke outside.) The other day I was checking in a box of spares and found 2 Tamiya Jeeps and suddenly thought how fun it would be to make a scene where bored soldiers have turned them into racecars... racenumbers and all. Then another idea popped into my head. Why not have it be a race between Army and Airforce, Or Army against Navy. Followed up by the idea of having it centered at the Belgian town of Spa where the famous racingtrack of Spa Francorchampsis located.
There you have it in the timespan of 7 minutes I thought out a completely new dio idea centered around the liberation of Spa where 2 divisions or 2 army branches are preparing to race against each other in Jeeps on a famous classic racetrack. Guys cheering on their racers. Taking bets etc. having drinks. Mechanics walking around the cars. The drivers with old style racinghelmets and goggles. No clue if it ever happened. And I don't care either. It is exactly what bored soldiers do

Pity I stopped smoking!!

seriously, this racing idea is just great!! (or you could have a town sign "Le Mans" in the background.)

Hopefully someone picks it up!!!

Cheers

Romain

hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The other day I was checking in a box of spares and found 2 Tamiya Jeeps and suddenly thought how fun it would be to make a scene where bored soldiers have turned them into racecars... racenumbers and all. Then another idea popped into my head. Why not have it be a race between Army and Airforce, Or Army against Navy. Followed up by the idea of having it centered at the Belgian town of Spa where the famous racingtrack of Spa Francorchampsis located.

Hmmm, Humvee racing around the old Nurberg ring!

Land rover racing at Brooklands!

Paul
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC
My last 4 dios have been inspired by reading the superb series of books" Duel in the Mist" about the northern part of the BoB.
The books are so well written that I got lazy about coming up with a scene as the scenes from the pages literally jump off the paper at me.
I just got done reading"Voices from the Pacific" concerning the Marines in WWII and I find myself inspired by that so maybe....
J
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 06:59 AM UTC
Thanks, everyone! Some good stuff.

I'm really trying to focus my energies on the humor and levity moments, rather than the sad or intense moments. More fun to show "human spirit through humor".

Keep the ideas coming!
Outoppie
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 10:10 PM UTC
Diorama Dreams on Facebook where the best Dios around are filed together in albums plz have a look https://www.facebook.com/DioramaDreams/timeline Frans
plasticman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 03:04 PM UTC
For me its mostly History books only because the proof is there in black and white. If somebody argues that such and such is incorrect in the diorama, then I pull the book out. Argument usually ends pretty quickly. Documentaries are good as well, but never movies only because of there inaccuracies
 _GOTOTOP