_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which Centurions?
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hello,

I found in the www the follwoing homepage http://military-database.de/1966-check-mate-bildergalerie-michael-neumann/ with photos of the exercise Check Mate 1966.

There are two Centurion photos (No 6 and No. 13) which are interesting for me.

Do you know the nations to which the Centurions belong to? And do you know the mk for these Centurions? I suggest a MK 6/2 (IR(LR) because 105mm without thermel sleeve, IR and LR and double headlights? What do you think?

Furthermore, which Centurion is this on the frontcover of the tankograd booklet?

http://www.tankograd.net/cms/website.php?id=/de/index/BAOR.htm&buy=1464

A mk 6, too??? Bu

Thank you in advance for your efforts!!!

Best wishes
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 03:27 PM UTC
My educated guess would say the Centurions you are asking about are both Canadian Mk.11LRs. They would likely be from the Fort Garry Horse.

The Canadian Mk.11LRs in Germany at that time have all the features displayed in the images including the dual 11 1/2" IR spotlights on the Commander's hatch ring as seen in image #6. Image #13 appears to show the four colour camouflage used on Canadian Centurions during the 1960s and Canadian style call signs on the turret side.

I think the Centurion on the front of the Tankograd book is a British Centurion Mk6/2. It has a 105 mm main gun, the uparmoured glacis plate, and the .50 Cal ranging gun. It does have the turret stowage rack on the turret for carrying the searchlight but it does not have the mounting rail on the mantlet and it does not have the IR headlights.
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hello,

thank you for help!!! My goal to build a 60īs BAOR Centurion is coming closer and closer!!!

Moritz
 _GOTOTOP