DIY Buildings - Where to start?
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hey,

After re-discovering some of the balsa sheets I used long ago for my first airplanes, I was wondering whether I can reuse these sheets for building my own diorama buildings?

If I'd be to go the way of constructing the buildings myself, where do I start? where can I find plans to use? What else would be of interest?

As you can tell, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to dioramas so please excuse the "stupid" questions

Thanks,
Cristian
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 04:54 AM UTC

Hallo Christian,

who needs plans?? And who needs Balsa wood?? Use Selitron, cheap, easy to work and accepts all kinds of paint, even enamels!!

Plans.....build what you want and what you need for your storyboard.

Buildings must be "in scale", just like the other elements in the diorama! Where do you get basic measurements...well, easy, from doors and windows! Adapt the building to these elements, and think ahead...where the floors would be f.ex., and how you can access upper floors and details like that!!

Consult Google and look at the millions of photos on-line!

This is what makes diorama building so fascinating!

Good luck! Wünsch dir was!!!!

Cheers

Romain

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hallo Romain,

You're right, of course! It's just that not everybody is creative enough... *caugh*... to create a scene from scratch So plans would be most useful... or at least some pointers about how to get there.

Cheers,
Cristian
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hi Cristian,
Not sure it will be useful but as a start point, you may visit Miniart.You can see dimensions,parts and some plans of their buildings and ruins.
best regards
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 08:18 AM UTC

Engin is right Christian! Go and take every bit of info you can find, including Miniart!! And why not!!

And try to detect flaws and errors while checking things out! PM sent! Check your inbox!

Cheers

Romain
 _GOTOTOP