_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Gunnie I need your help on this one
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hey Jim whats up? I was working on the Model Valley guntruck conversion and I think iam going to change the dual 50 which I had in the front to 1 50cal. at each corner in the front of the guntruck. What iam wondering is how can I attach the 50cal's to the corners, or to the top of the corners? I was thinking about taking the 50cal mount from an M113 the one shaped like a "V" with a little hole in the top for the gun, do you know what iam talking about? If I do decide to go with that how can I make it look like a field modification and not just glue on there? I was thinking aobut lining the sqaure on the V mount in line with the armor walls, getting some nuts and bolts and gluing those on there, as well as a support beam running to the floor, does that sound good or do you have any other ideas??

And since the radio was in one of the corners I was going to either put it in near the passenger side in the cab or lower in the bed of te truck, what iam wondering is where can I put the antena mount since the 50cal. is going to be in the way?

And do you know anything that De-bonds super glue?

thanks,
Mike
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks,
Mike

Most any hobby shop has debonder that does a great job removing CA(super glue)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
Mike - I'll send you some photos when I get home from work - I've got some ideas for you.

Acetone works as a debonder, and somewhat slower, Fingernail Polish remover. Tell the wife or girlfriend you like the smell...

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Jim whats up? I was working on the Model Valley guntruck conversion and I think iam going to change the dual 50 which I had in the front to 1 50cal. at each corner in the front of the guntruck. What iam wondering is how can I attach the 50cal's to the corners, or to the top of the corners? I was thinking about taking the 50cal mount from an M113 the one shaped like a "V" with a little hole in the top for the gun, do you know what iam talking about? If I do decide to go with that how can I make it look like a field modification and not just glue on there? I was thinking aobut lining the sqaure on the V mount in line with the armor walls, getting some nuts and bolts and gluing those on there, as well as a support beam running to the floor, does that sound good or do you have any other ideas??

And since the radio was in one of the corners I was going to either put it in near the passenger side in the cab or lower in the bed of te truck, what iam wondering is where can I put the antena mount since the 50cal. is going to be in the way?

thanks,
Mike

Mike--be careful. Gunnie's been known to charge by the hour.....
DJ #:-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC
Mike - I sent you an e-mail with some pics!

Gunnie
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 01:24 AM UTC
Jim thanks for the pictures, they really helped alot. I think what I will do for the corner mounts is get some Steyrene sheets, and cut them into squares and place them on top of the corners, then take the V mount and place it on top of that. What thickness should I use for the sheets, cause theres a bunch of different sizes? Jim one last question, do you have any ideas on where i can put the radio since there wont be any room for it where it was originally suposed to go? And thanks guys for the De-ponding solutions i'll give them a try,

Mike
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 01:25 AM UTC
Jim thanks for the pictures, they really helped alot. I think what I will do for the corner mounts is get some Steyrene sheets, and cut them into squares and place them on top of the corners, then take the V mount and place it on top of that. What thickness should I use for the sheets, cause theres a bunch of different sizes? Jim one last question, do you have any ideas on where i can put the radio since there wont be any room for it where it was originally suposed to go? And thanks guys for the De-ponding solutions i'll give them a try,

Mike
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike

Go with .010" or .015" thicknesses. "Satan's Chariot" and "The Misfits" were configured akin to what you're modeling, and both trucks mounted their radio set on the front right corner of the fighting compartment - below the mount for the .50cal. Like on a second shelf - if you catch my drift. Just make one on a shelf closer to the floor, and under the plate you're going to make for the .50cal mount...

Gunnie
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 09:58 AM UTC
Thanks Jim, Iam going up to the hobby shop tommorow to pick up some steyrene sheets and i'll let you know how it goes. And do you think I should get some nuts and bolts from Verlinden and put them on there? or just make it welded on the guntruck?

thanks,
Mike
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Jim, Iam going up to the hobby shop tommorow to pick up some steyrene sheets and i'll let you know how it goes. And do you think I should get some nuts and bolts from Verlinden and put them on there? or just make it welded on the guntruck?

thanks,
Mike

I used both in my models - welds and nuts & bolts. I'd use weld detail for the plates and the pintle mounts though...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP