_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Eastern Express PT-76B
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 10:20 AM UTC
I just received the kit I ordered. I looks OK, though simpler than the Trumpeter kit. I did get it because one builder said he liked it better than the Trumpeter version. Anyone else have any more comments, because I'm curious.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 10:30 AM UTC
The trumpy one is better....hands down.

Greg
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 12:40 PM UTC
Hi;

I Beg Too Disagree; I have Built Two of the Trumpeter kits and they were A Real Nitemare ! There Suspensions were near Impossible too Align at the Correct Angel, and the kit was over Engineered ! I Finally Boxed them Back up and went out and purchased another EE kit and with the PE set that's made for it turned out o.k. Now I am not A Big Fan of PE, but the set really made the Build Easy, the only other AM set that I used was A AM Barrel. The PT-76 is by far the Best kit that I have built by Eastern Express which really surprised Me as most of there other kits are so-so

CHEERS; MIKE.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi;

I Beg Too Disagree; I have Built Two of the Trumpeter kits and they were A Real Nitemare ! There Suspensions were near Impossible too Align at the Correct Angel, and the kit was over Engineered ! I Finally Boxed them Back up and went out and purchased another EE kit and with the PE set that's made for it turned out o.k. Now I am not A Big Fan of PE, but the set really made the Build Easy, the only other AM set that I used was A AM Barrel. The PT-76 is by far the Best kit that I have built by Eastern Express which really surprised Me as most of there other kits are so-so

CHEERS; MIKE.

I cannot remember if it was on your suggestion to use the Eastern Express kit over the Trumpeter. If it has the right look and correct proportions, etc, that's what I really care about. I did previously buy the Modelpoint barrel for said kit.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 12:53 AM UTC
Mike, I have built both. The Trumpeter one gave me no problems, is better detailed and has some PE with the kit. But, to each his own. If I built another one, I would go the Trumpy route. I did add a turned barrel and metal tracks to my Trumpeter one....unfortunately they are a must.

Greg
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 08:06 AM UTC
AFAIA Depends which version of the PT-76 you want to build, There were three different hulls:

1st, "45 degree nose", low hull as depicted by Trumpeter 379 and 380

2nd, "45 degree nose", hull raised by 60 mm (the weld line is now behind the drivers hatch), as depicted in EE kit

3: "35 degree nose", hull again raised by 70 mm, so now you have the cut out at the left side of the hull, as released by Trumpeter 381 and 382 BUT with the earlier 45 degree nose which is wrong!!!!

HTH
Andy

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 08:22 AM UTC
I mean to depict a circa 1962 version. I assume the EE version will suit that?

Quoted Text

Depends which version of the PT-76 you want to build, There were three different hulls:

2nd, "45 degree nose", hull raised by 60 mm (the weld line is now behind the drivers hatch), as depicted in EE kit

3: "35 degree nose", hull again raised by 70 mm, so now you have the cut out at the left side of the hull, as released by Trumpeter 381 and 382 BUT with the earlier 45 degree nose which is wrong!!!!

HTH
Andy

andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I mean to depict a circa 1962 version. I assume the EE version will suit that?

I think the EE kit is the 1958 model so would still be in service circa 1962 when the final model with 35 degree hull and cut-out (due to raised hull)was produced.

HTH
Andy

MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 11:41 AM UTC
Hi all,

Quoted Text

went out and purchased another EE kit and with the PE set that's made for it turned out o.k. Now I am not A Big Fan of PE, but the set really made the Build Easy, the only other AM set that I used was A AM Barrel. The PT-76 is by far the Best kit that I have built by Eastern Express which really surprised Me as most of there other kits are so-so

What set of PE fits well with the EE kit? The one of Eduard?

Quoted Text

The 35° nose type has an hull raised by 60+70 = 130 mm when compared to the first type?

Regards
Massimo
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Quoted Text

went out and purchased another EE kit and with the PE set that's made for it turned out o.k. Now I am not A Big Fan of PE, but the set really made the Build Easy, the only other AM set that I used was A AM Barrel. The PT-76 is by far the Best kit that I have built by Eastern Express which really surprised Me as most of there other kits are so-so

What set of PE fits well with the EE kit? The one of Eduard?

Quoted Text

The 35° nose type has an hull raised by 60+70 = 130 mm when compared to the first type?

Regards
Massimo

Yes. If you look at the EE kit (+60)you will see no cut out at intake/exhaust, but that the hull weld line is behind the drivers hatch. Compare to the later version Trumpeter (another +70 giving total of 130) kit which has the cut-out. Note it's the same for BTR-50 hulls as well. One day I'll photograph all the hulls beside each other.

HTH
Andy
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 11:09 PM UTC
Just to add some details concerning some of the main hull changes to PT-76's, there where of course interim ones to these which did not change the geometry.:

PT-76 Model 1952 was the main early production vehicle (the previous 1951 earliest production model had plain disc roadwheels). In this model the hull nose was angled at 45 degrees and it had the early low hull as shown by the welding joint between the upper bow plate and upper hull passing through the position of drivers hatch.

PT-76 Model 1958. Amongst other changes this model the hull height was raised by 60mm which resulted in the weld between the upper bow plate and the upper plate being placed just at the rear of the drivers hatch.

PT-76 Model 1962. To increase amphibious qualities the hull was raised by another 70mm which can be seen by the "cut-out" in the hull left side and the nose angle was changed from the 45 degrees of the earlier models to 35 degrees. You can see this in pics by the longer distance between the trim vane and the light clusters.

So the total increase of 130mm was done in two production changes.

If you start looking closely at pics of PT-76's you'll soon start to recognise the different hulls.

HTH
Andy
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 10:36 AM UTC
Thank you Andy. I've found a monograph on the subject (I think to read Bronekollectia), but it hasn't compared scale drawings, it looks more about derivative vehicles.

Mike, could I repeat my question? What photoetching set is appropriate for the kit of EE?
Regards
Massimo
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 01:45 PM UTC
Hi Guys;

Massimo; The Edward PE set can be Hard too Find, some of the Smaller Details will be just A Lil-bet hard too work with ! But if you are Patient and Have Worked with PE before then you should be fine, The Parts worked Best When you sand the Bottom of the part too be used with A Find Grit Sandpaper and then Rough-up the area that it is too be applied so that the Super Glue has A area too Bite with when you set it in place. With the Smaller parts I used A Sharp Edged Knife and Scored the area too be Glued. If you look on ebay you can find the Set if you look Hard, another thing that will Help is Good Reference Material; On my Build I also replaced the kits Lights with Tamiya T-55s from my Spares Box and used MV Lenses, along with other Soviet Equipment that I had in my Stash.

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
PS; Sorry it took so long too Answer you !
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 04:09 PM UTC
Hi Mike,
thank you for your answer.
I've seen sets of PE from Eduard on Ebay, and they are relatively cheap. If you think that is good for EE, I can easily buy one.
By the way: lights of T-55 of Tamiya in your spares box? It seems a depot of very rich pieces!
Regards
Massimo
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi Massimo,

The "Tankograd-Soviet Special no2006, PT-76" is excellent for describing the different PT-76 versions and very useful when modelling this vehicle.

HTH
Andy
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 12:01 PM UTC
Hi Andy. thank you for the information. I don't know if I will be able to find it anyway.
Regards
Massimo
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hi Guys;

MASSIMO; I have found the Edward set for the EE kit, But you would have too Mail Order it out of the USA !!!
It can be ordered from Sprue Brothers !! If your so Inclined !

CHEERS; MIKE.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 10:03 AM UTC
Thank you Mike.
 _GOTOTOP