_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Masterbox's "Somewhere in the Middle East"
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 01:00 PM UTC
http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/propics/DIR_MAS/l/l_MAS35163.jpg

http://www.michtoy.com/michtoy2013/products/Master_Box_MBX-35163-6.jpg

http://www.mbltd.info/img/35163_2.jpg

http://www.mbltd.info/img/35163_4.jpg

I have a few questions regarding this kit.

* Are these figures all US Special Forces, or are they a combination of US SOFs and Afghan militia? If a combo, who is US SOF and who are the Afghanis?

* The box art shows the figures with SAW with para-buttstock , AK-47 with RIS, and M4s. The back of the box shows the SAW replaced with a PKM, but the figure photos show that MG as being a M240. I see that the sprue shots only have the PKM. What happened to the para-SAW and M240?

* What timeline date is the kit supposed to represent---2003, 2004, 2006?

* So what should one arm the figures with...M4s or AK-47s?

I guess a lot depends on the photo by Skipper and who he is standing next to in the group shot.

Thanks in advance.
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 10:55 PM UTC
Looks early 2000's from the gear.
Is this the same Skipper aka 18Bravo? https://armorama.kitmaker.net/user.php?op=userinfo&uname=18Bravo

Some images that seem to be the same sorts of time

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/shrek?page=1
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 05:18 AM UTC
Yep, that's 18Bravo = Skipper.

According to me, those other figures appear to be Afghan National Army with only the guy in the baseball cap being US SOF. At first I thought these were all US SOF figures, but I doubt it. If that's the case, then this figure kit isn't what I am seeking...all US SOFs.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 08:33 AM UTC
To me, the figures all look like US SF Soldiers wearing local garb to blend in better.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 10:18 AM UTC
The figures are indeed based on me and some of my Afghan cohorts. There was a post some months ago comparing the figures to some of my photos. They are AMF - Afghan Militia Forces - whom we hired to help us fight the Taliban. Some are former Muj, all are extremely SMF's, the "S" standing for serious. I am the only SF dude in the photo as I was the only one on the team who could deal with them without an interpreter. It is uncanny how much the Afghan figures looks like the guys they are intended to depict. I'll have a set soon.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 11:52 AM UTC
Thanks, Robert, for the informative reply.
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 06:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The figures are indeed based on me and some of my Afghan cohorts. There was a post some months ago comparing the figures to some of my photos. They are AMF - Afghan Militia Forces - whom we hired to help us fight the Taliban. Some are former Muj, all are extremely SMF's, the "S" standing for serious. I am the only SF dude in the photo as I was the only one on the team who could deal with them without an interpreter. It is uncanny how much the Afghan figures looks like the guys they are intended to depict. I'll have a set soon.

Pretty cool to have your own figure!
Got any better pics you'd be willing to post up mate?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 - 02:32 AM UTC
There's another at the bottom of this thread. You can really tell who each figure represents. By the way, they represent late 2002 early 2003.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/216156#1816806

About the only thing they didn't catch was the motorcycle gloves I bought for the guy on the left, who was one of the AMF commanders.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cleaning up my Photobucket library I found this one:

Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 05:41 AM UTC
Rob,

I meant to ask...what U.S. uniforms were worn and when? I still see SEALs in Woodland BDUs in 2010.

Did you wear ACUs from a certain year onwards and gave up Tri-color DCUs? Did Multicam become the standard uniform pattern in Afghanistan today and since when? Or could Woodland BDUs and Tri-Color DCUs still be worn today?

How about SOFs? I notice that a lot of SOFs are now wearing either olive or tan uniforms without any camouflage patterns.

Thanks in advance.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 03:21 AM UTC
I'll let Rob address the Spec Ops side. As for the regular Army, the UCP (Universal Camo Pattern, digital ACUs) started appearing in late '05. By Apr of '08, they were the only authorized uniform to be worn. Before that, you could still see a mix of ACU, BDU, and DCUs being worn. The Multi-Cam started being worn in A'stan about '07-'08. By late '09, it was the only uniform authorized in A'stan.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll let Rob address the Spec Ops side. As for the regular Army, the UCP (Universal Camo Pattern, digital ACUs) started appearing in late '05. By Apr of '08, they were the only authorized uniform to be worn. Before that, you could still see a mix of ACU, BDU, and DCUs being worn. The Multi-Cam started being worn in A'stan about '07-'08. By late '09, it was the only uniform authorized in A'stan.

Thanks, Gino, that info helps a lot!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 11:45 AM UTC
As you suspect, the SOF community doesn't exactly adhere to the policies followed by others, especially when they don't make sense. I've posted photos here in the past of those occasions.
As for the olive or tan uniforms, I have seen contractors wear all tan fatigues, but that's it. Not to say NO ONE else has worn them, but if you see SOF wearing it, it is more than likely Nomex flight suits and not actual fatigues, They give better protection from burns during explosive breaching operations. My team wore the tan ones on a few occasions. I can see green being worn if the environment warranted it.,
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cleaning up my Photobucket library I found this one:

Nice one, thanks Rob.
9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 02:57 AM UTC
Just got a couple of boxes of this set and I have to say WOW what a great set . The detail on the faces and clothing is very nice . I am though disappointed with the weapons ! why can Master Box not get modern US weapons correct ? Looks like im going to have to spend more money on some Live Resin weapon sets . I have some of the old Dragon AK sets so will use those as well . Does anyone know if the weapons are a let down in the WW11 figures ? . Apart from that though a very pleasing and useful set to go with the Toyota pick.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 12:07 PM UTC
Off topic question...is the ALICE web belt and ammo belt pouches with the two side grenade pouches still used? I see almost everything is LBV and M4 vest pouches these days.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 12:33 PM UTC
Depending on what Country... in the SOF world. Dress code is not a top issue.
Achee74
Visit this Community
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hi guys, just received my kit. Looks a bit difficult to kit bash them into more figures should we need to .. Any idea if there might be a part 2 coming soon?

Thks
Alex
ComaBlack
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know if the weapons are a let down in the WW11 figures ? . Apart from that though a very pleasing and useful set to go with the Toyota pick.

The M16s in their Vietnam patrol set were a weird crap-shoot. Two were unable, one was almost passable, and the last was for the garbage.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys, just received my kit. Looks a bit difficult to kit bash them into more figures should we need to ...
Thks
Alex

I just received three myself. Had about a minute to check them out before I had to go out of town.
I did have time enough to see that you get mutliple heads, hadgear, and weapons. That should give you a few options at least.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 05:18 AM UTC
Did US SOFs really wear Afghan garb when on patrol? I recall seeing on TV one Colonel who ordered his men to at a firebase, but in most cases, except for the shemagh scarf, I don't see many photos of Americans fully dressed in these outfits. Also, was the DCU totally abandoned in the later years of OEF?

I'm just wondering how useful this kit would be as US SOFs besides the lone US SOF figure in it. Thanks.
 _GOTOTOP