_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Imma building fool!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hola gang,
just thought Id drop by and tell you what Im doing!
Im taking a vacation from my Panther G and started Tamiyas Excellent Steyer 1500 car, Im just building it out of the box, just for kicks and to get away from all that damned photo etch! Have spent 1.5 hours so far and its almost complete! Weee back to the bench!
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 04:29 AM UTC
gotta have PE............don't have to use the whole fret

got any pics
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
I thought I'd build the Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog, which my good friend Chappy_JU87 sent me, and I'm doing it OOB! Well, almost... I can't help myself but make small improvements... #:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC
AndersHeintz
I've got the Steyer 1500 on the shelf waiting for my attention - I'd be interested in a post on how it went together and any tricky spots, or if it was a 'slap shot' to get it together.

Thanks
Keep on Buildin'
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 05:07 AM UTC
Overall: a beutiful kit! just watch when you put all the sides together, and make sure the back peice fits, id go ahead and put the back piece on at the same time as the sides although the instructons suggest otherwise, thats the only heads up so far
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 06:58 AM UTC
Weeeeeeeeee,
its complete! About 3.5 hours worth, (including some breaks) Will paint tonight! Was really nice to build one "OOB", much faster and smoother building, although PE has some great advantages over plastic parts. Anyways, I always thought it shouldnt take so long to build one of those! Builds up real nice, and putting together the sides as I previously posted proved to be the only part of the build to be a little complicated that need a heads up. Highly recomended kit to put together! Maybe I'll get some pics at the end of the week or so!
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 03:09 PM UTC
I totally agree. I built my Steyr OOB, and finished it yesterday.
It was fun building this kit...
It was one of those "fill glue in the box, shake it, model finished..."
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

which my good friend Chappy_JU87 sent me

My pleasure
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 09:31 AM UTC
Update Time,

Finished the basic exterior, decided to go just plain ol Dark yellow, base coated and gave the first two washes of black and burnt umber to the interior.
Have the right side done with all the paint chips etc, boy is that fun to do!!
Anyways, just thought Id let you know how it was comming along! Took some pictures also, should be developed in near future.
A heads up for you who are going to build it, leave the seats and benches OFF and paint them as a subassemblies, it will save a lot of pain, belive me!!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 04:22 PM UTC
Surprised to see how many people are using this 1500 as a "I need a break" kit. I am using it the same way, I do my serious modelling every night from 2200 to 0100 (yeah, I am a late sleeper) with all the PEs and wires, etc. And when I sit in front of my computer to get some ARMORAMA dosage, I have the 1500 on the computer desk and build one thing here and there. Had been almost 2 months, and just finished the chassis....well..... But I agree, it's a very very good fit model, some part, I didn't even use glue, just sort pressed in.... #:-) :-)
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 11:05 PM UTC
I know the feeling.. Just bought a Panzer IV Ausf. H and threw the turret, body, and crew member together within hours. Good times.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC
Its 90% finished!! All that needs to be done is to assemble the chassis with the frame and tires, and need to paint the seats and details then its finito!!! And I can once more concentrate on the Panther G project!

TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its 90% finished!! All that needs to be done is to assemble the chassis with the frame and tires, and need to paint the seats and details then its finito!!! And I can once more concentrate on the Panther G project!

Good luck for your Panther, I hope all runs as you expect.

Waiting for photos of it.

AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 12:35 AM UTC
Thanks, I will need it!!
I got sick of all the PE so I decided to take a vacation from it and I saw that I had that Steyer, and now when its almost complete, I wont have no excuses not to finish the Panther
As for all running like expected...hm....we'll see, we'll see ...
tazz3
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 08:04 AM UTC
I took like 2 weeks off from building my panzer IV H cause i got a new pc lol i will start to build next week i needed a break
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 09:30 PM UTC
Yeah, I think modeling is like anything else, you just need a break sometimes! And after you return, at least me, the passion for modeling is much stronger
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 08:50 AM UTC
I decided to maximize my building.4 kits,work on the first on day 1,the second on day 2 ,and so on.
Eastern express SU152. FLASH CITY! OMG.
DML Stug IV (early) will add Cavilier Generic zimmerit.
Tamiya M-4 105 Howitzer.
Italeri M-109 Paladin,will use Skybow A/M tracks.
The SU is the farthest along,I was all set to use alot of the eduard,but it would be really a near waste.Watch,T will do this kit.Or DML. Flash Flash,and more flash.
Earlier,a couple of months ago,I did a speed build,OOB Tamiya Vintage Hunting Tiger,And Tiger II.3 days each. No paint,yet.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 10:32 AM UTC
My last two models DML Hummel and Hetzer were all fast built, except the JR barrel, and an add up here and there, there were nothing extensive added. So took me maybe 25 days to complete them. So I am like all energy now to tackle some PEs, been working on the DML Pz III Ausf J for the last one week with Aber PE, just finished substructure minus the wheels. Kinda of nice to working with PEs again....

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Weeeeeeeeee,
its complete! About 3.5 hours worth, (including some breaks) Will paint tonight! Was really nice to build one "OOB", much faster and smoother building, although PE has some great advantages over plastic parts. Anyways, I always thought it shouldnt take so long to build one of those! Builds up real nice, and putting together the sides as I previously posted proved to be the only part of the build to be a little complicated that need a heads up. Highly recomended kit to put together! Maybe I'll get some pics at the end of the week or so!

...you're absolutely right Anders! The Steyr Type 1500/01 is an excellent kit. As Norseman said, it's one of those kits you can almost open the box, toss in some glue, shake a few times, and Bingo!...the kit's done,
But......have any of you considered building the Steyr variants?????
Check it out, there are quite a few very interesting variations of the basic Steyr...very interesting subject. So, next time you still want a rest from the PE forest, take a stab at the Steyr stable of cousins :-)

Tread.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 12:43 PM UTC
First of all a small update,
Modeling part is 100% finished, painting is 99% finished, still need to do a few things and the base is under construction. Been a ruch doing this fine little kit, I get kind of put off when I have a huge project infront of me (Panther G - with all accessories and 210 links to drill out...SIIIIGH) So a fast build really got me going good! Im looking for another fast build model that will be as kool as this so any suggestions are welcome

Tread:
Who makes these differetn versions? And what are they?
Im definently interested!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 04:15 PM UTC
May I suggest DML's Hetzer, just finished one, a dream to build, fit really really well.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 04:32 PM UTC
A great one evening´s build that i was very happy with was the;
Academy ac1350
1/35 US Army M998 Hummer
Went together nicely and details (on the outside) were nice. I believe there may be a little detail or 2 missing, but it still builds nice and I like it anyway. I believe academy have around 4 or 5 different variations of this Hummer. Think I´ll look out for the rest.

AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 09:07 PM UTC
I agree on the Hetzer, Ive build the mid productionm one, and have an early hetzer on the shelf! Maybe I'll do that one OOB also, We'll see we'll see
Now who makes those Steyer Variants!!!?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...... I get kind of put off when I have a huge project infront of me (Panther G - with all accessories and 210 links to drill out...SIIIIGH) ......

Hi anders
What do you mean when you have to drill them all out? I have tamiyas tiger 1 and it has link to link tracks. It says glue them but do you drill out yours and pin them, or am I taking this all up wrong? Confused!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...........Now who makes those Steyer Variants!!!?

You do Anders. The Steyr variants would be pretty easy scratchbuilds. For example, the cargo truck version would require a few sheets of stock styrene (the cargo bed is fairly basic) and a 5lb coffee can foil top for the softskin cover, plus a few brass wire supports bent.
They also have a fire truck variant (this was also reconfigured as a command & control vehicle) which I am attemting to scratchbuild as we speak from a kit that DJ (210 CAV) traded me.
I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the Steyr chassis and front portion of the cab are used in all the variants, so if one was interested in 'dipping a toe' into scratchbuilding, the Steyr would be a good basic starting point. :-)

Tread
 _GOTOTOP